[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
So I may have landed a job in the Netherlands. In light of that,
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /trv/ - Travel

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 1
So I may have landed a job in the Netherlands. In light of that, what should I know about the country, people, culture, night life? Also, I am American.
>>
Did you not think telling us where you're moving might be relevant? Dutch people are relaxed, have money, are educated, infrastructure is top notch.
>>
>>1073255

Sorry. Amsterdam.
>>
Raad these books:
Stuff Dutch People Like (also a blog)
The Undutchables
The Xenophobes Guide To The Dutch

I genuinely found them very interesting, and I'm Dutch.
>>
Practice saying "Hi! I'm <name> from Canada."
>>
>>1073274

I will definitely have a look into them. Are apartments cheap?
>>
>>1073252
test
>>
>>1073275
I have heard the Dutch are friendly??
>>
>>1073277
In and around Amsterdam not at all.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Randstad
>>
>>1073284
In my opinion we are but we are quite down-to-earth. Don't exaggerate when you come here, there exist very specific stereotypes of americans annoying everyone with there gayness (not the homosexual meaning).
I live in a small town south, not in the big city of Amsterdam so I may be wrong.
>>
>>1073299

1. Nice Dubs
2. So I would be better off living outside of Amsterdam?
>>
>>1073277
In Amsterdam, they're quite expensive. Well, to us Dutchies anyway. Compared to the rest of the country it's very pricey. What would your budget be?

We always bitch about our public transport system, but when I read into opinions from tourists and foreigners they all say it's excellent. And especially around Amsterdam a lot of people use it for their daily commute. Might offer a good alternative if the apartment prices are above your budget.

Also, the blog I mentioned earlier which pretty much focusses on Dutch quirkiness but has a lot of truths to it. Check out their SDPL list. It's written be a Canadian woman who has moved here years ago.

http://stuffdutchpeoplelike.com

The other two books are a bit more about how the Dutch are when it comes to manners and daily life. All three are written in a funny way.

In a nutshell we're generally easy-going but at the same time very punctual when it comes to appointments, tolerant, quite blunt about our opinions but at the same time pretty closed about personal things, helpful but mostly when asked for help and almost all of us speak English albeit with a horrible accent.

Buy a bike. It's one of your top priorities. You will learn to love it and it will become a valued extension of your body. The whole country is very bike-friendly and flat. It's our number one mode of transport within any town or city. All the stereotypes about it are true.

And yes, >>1073275 was a joke. We are generally friendly. But still, I think Dutch and Americans can sort of collide on it. In America are all really easy to strike up a conversation with strangers and do small talk. With the Dutch this can sort of set off our bullshit-radar and put us on guard in a "what does this guy want from me? Is this some sort of scheme? Is he going to mug me? kind of way. Or maybe even just in a "I'm not used to this, leave me alone" kind of way. I'm not saying it will, but sometimes it can. It's good to be aware of that.
>>
>>1073390

I appreciate the insight. My budget is to be determined. Probably in the $2000-$3000 USD range. Its a 5yr contract with the option sign an extension.

I have have been told from friends who have passed through, the nightlife in the cities are certainly enjoyable and relaxed
>>
>>1073552
Is that just for housing? Or also for daily living and food?
>>
>>1073252
They are gobshites but they love the yanks so you'll be fine
>>
>>1073618
I wouldn't say so. I live in the very south of the Netherlands and while we mainly get French and German tourists and not Americans, the overwhelming opinion is that America is a beautiful country, but we hate the people. Maybe in the Randstad they might be more tolerant of Amerifats, but the Randstad is where all the scum and shit gathers so it's no suprise that they like their kind.
>>
>>1073252
theyre 10x more dull thank pulp fuction said
Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.