[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Aussie WHV Tax Grab
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /trv/ - Travel

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 1
File: aussie moolah.jpg (514 KB, 840x784) Image search: [Google]
aussie moolah.jpg
514 KB, 840x784
So me and GF (both late 20s Americans) have been talking about doing an Australian WHV sometime this year, when I start reading shit like this:

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2015-05-12/budget-working-holiday-visa/6464972
http://www.abc.net.au/news/2015-05-14/backpacker-tax-grab-hurts-rural-towns-and-farmers/6469910
http://www.abc.net.au/news/2015-05-15/backpackers-worried-about-working-holiday-visa-tax-change/6472118

TL,DR: visa holders are about to get fucked by getting taxed at 30+% and this has us reconsidering our options.
Straya had us thinking we'd be making bank (relatively speaking), but looks like that isn't the case anymore. Now New Zealand is starting to look like the better option for a WHV, with AU as a side trip at best.
>>
>>1072246

You got fucked when you were given that fake 50c coin
>>
>>1072288
It's not fake. Pictured is a 1966 50cent piece, which was the first year decimal currency was issued. The 1966 50cent piece is 80% silver, and has an actual silver weight of 1/3 of a troy ounce. At current spot price that makes this particular coin worth 6-7AUD.

tl;dr OP did not get ripped off.
>>
>>1072293
>It's not fake. Pictured is a 1966 50cent piece, which was the first year decimal currency was issued. The 1966 50cent piece is 80% silver, and has an actual silver weight of 1/3 of a troy ounce. At current spot price that makes this particular coin worth 6-7AUD
Damn, I was just going to say that it was a real coin and I used to have a few in a box in my cupboard. You've done your research.

>>1072246
>New Zealand is starting to look like the better option for a WHV, with AU as a side trip at best.
You're probably right. Straya fucks anyone it can for tax, unless they're rich of course.
>>
>>1072288
>>1072293
>>1072501
OP here, it's just a picture of the most Australian looking piece of currency I could find. The rest had the Queen and shit.

I'm wondering if this tax hike is changing any of /trv/'s plans. Is anyone cancelling or changing plans for a working holiday over this, or just biting the bullet and going anyway?

While we had been talking about NZ before learning about this, would it really be better? What other options might there be?
>>
>>1072560
Have you seen the exchange rate? Your US super dollar is all you need. Just work at home and have a proper holiday
>>
>>1072560

Suicide is always an option.

I knew that 50c was real but I'm glad I helped you coin blokes bond.
>>
>>1072246
WHV tourists don't add much to the economy of the culture. They spend very little and turn decent towns into tourist dumps full of mouldy hostels. New Zealand is welcome to your minimal dollars.
>>
>>1072992
*economy or the culture
>>
>>1072288
actually that's a rare 50c piece

I had one but my dumbshit mother put it in a vending machine, I didn't talk to her for a week

>>1072246
it's a deliberate move OP, these rural areas are experiencing a spike in unemployment and working visas are hurting locals

go to new zealand
>>
>>1072992
You are an idiot. This is an amazing program that Australia invented to get cheap labour that most Australians don't want to do. Do you not fucking realize what the alternative is? It's bringing in foreign workers from shitholes like Philippines, India, Indonesia and Pakistan. Would you rather have Germans, Canadians and Brits around or fucking Pakis?
>>
Why does OP care if they pay 30% tax? Non Aussie residents get 100% tax back in tax returns
>>
>>1073706
This. So what is the worry?
>>
>>1072246
>>1073706

this. if you lazy arse backpackers actually do a tax return ( which may cost you like $100 to go to a tax agent or you can do it online for free) you'll only get taxed it you earn higher than the threshold, which most backpackers dont.

ffs
Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.