[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
First time traveling alone anxiety.
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /trv/ - Travel

Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 2
File: airplane..jpg (6 KB, 259x194) Image search: [Google]
airplane..jpg
6 KB, 259x194
Hey everyone, In a few months I am traveling to Saigon for a teaching job, I am very excited about it but as the date for me to leave comes closer and closer I am feeling a growing sense of anxiety. The anxiety isn't really coming from the job part, but mostly the part about traveling on a plane for 20 hours to a country that I am not familiar with and where I don't know anyone. I should point out that this is not the first time I am traveling outside the U.S, my parents use to take me to Europe when I was a kid and teenager, but this is the first time I am going somewhere by myself.

The anxiety I can't really pin point to one specific reason, I just keep thinking about something going wrong during the travel or when I first arrive. Like me forgeting something that I need at home, the fact that I need to transfer planes in Dubai(which I don't know why bothers me). And a bunch of other things, sorry I can't really give specifics about what is bothering me, just general nervousness about traveling for such a distance and arriving in an unknown land. I just kinda feel like I am unprepared for all of this ,if that makes sense. I have this impending fear that something is going to go wrong during my travels or when I arrive.

Has anyone else experienced something similar to this? Any advice on how to overcome this mostly irrational fear and anxiety. Thanks a lot.
>>
>>1072238
Well it's a big change. Weird would it be if you were completely relaxed.
I don't know how to overcome this. I recently changed continents myself and I was pretty nervous too.
But in the end, change is good anon. Accept it. Enjoy it.
You're going to have fun.
>>
Transfer is easy, especially if you have time. Airports are structured well plus there are signs everywhere.

When you land go find the connecting gate, then check time and explore the airport and eat. You already know where it is. If you get lost just ask. But it's gonna be easy.

Always important is research how to get from saigon airport to your first bed.
Check wiki gravel and lonely planet to and from airport.
You'll then know what to do, just make a plan. Like landing then taxi stand at arrival hall. Or train or whatever. Keep the address where you go handy and offline. Maybe get maps me and download offline maps to your phone.

Once you slept the first night get a simcard and data. Its your knowledge superpower. Something seems fishy, too expensive or you're lost? Google.

If you do that nothing major will go wrong. Settling in will only take a few days. If you're unfamiliar don't spend any big sums of money or be overly trusting
>>
>>1072238
I remember the first time I traveled alone on a plane to a foreign country, I was 8. It was the most terrifying thing ever and the idea of living in another country was even worse. I guess it's kind of a similar experience.
Next time I did it, I even made friends on the plane and we still talk to each other.
Don't worry, you'll be fine. You'll be use to it before you realize.
Have fun.
>>
File: traffic.jpg (208 KB, 620x465) Image search: [Google]
traffic.jpg
208 KB, 620x465
>>1072238
Once you exit security in the Saigon airport things get a little crazy. If someone from your school isn't picking you up. I'd recommend booking with a hotel that will pick you up from the airport. Which doesn't necessarily mean expensive, there are some hotels in the backpacker ghetto that will do this. Once you are in your hotel taxi, you will feel much more relaxed...

Until you try to cross a road at least. pic related. It takes a while to get used to. Just find a little old lady to follow across the road.

Neither of those things is really that bad. And beyond that you'll have an incredible time.
>>
>>1072250
>>1072251
>>1072260
>>1072273
Thank you for your responses. Someone from the school is going to pick me up and help me get an apartment or room in a house, so there is no sweat there.
>>
>>1072250
>Accept it. Enjoy it.
>You're going to have fun.
This. Being afraid and overcoming those fears is all part of the fun.
Don't worry OP. Everything's gonna be alright.
Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.