[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
poverty tourism in the Appalachians
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /trv/ - Travel

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 1
File: slide_222402_901642_free.jpg (346 KB, 1200x800) Image search: [Google]
slide_222402_901642_free.jpg
346 KB, 1200x800
So I'm a decently experienced traveler, haven't been everywhere but the places I've gone, I've always been fascinated in seeing fucked up shit. I can't lie, social decay and abject poverty fascinates me. I'll be that guy who gives 20 bucks to a junkie just to pound some beers and watch him shoot heroin and give me a step by step walkthrough of how to find the vein. In those days I've also been broke as fuck but now that I've got money I miss the feel of hanging out with street urchins and addicts. I like that danger of anything could fucking happen and unpredictable nature of society's outcasts. I liked feeling like shit could go off at any second.

Having said that, I want to visit the Appalachians.

I want to see sketchy hillbillies getting drunk as fuck and snorting meth. I want to see drunk pregnant teenagers and I wanna drink spiked mountain dew and talk philosophy with toothless hillbillies til the sun comes up. I want to live, man.

I think the plan is to just drive to remote towns like Oswley county and show up to local bars. Buy a hot pizza for some sketchy looking teens and see if I don't end up in a meth den in some trailer park.

Questions:

>1. Does this make me a complete cunt? If so, how to not look like one?
>2. Can anybody relate to this? Any sketchy travel stories?
>3 (also TL;DR) What's the best way to see fucked up shit in Appalachia without being killed?

TL;DR:
See question 3.
>>
You aren't going to understand the Appalachians. You're either going to love them and wonder in awe, or you're going to despise them. Anyone in or below Appalachia is from a different planet. Even the rich people. It's a different world.
>>
>>1070739
The best way too see fucked up shit is to actually live there. I grew up in east TN. It's extremely easy to see who is from there and who's not. If you're not, you'll stand out and no one is going to want to show you anything.
>>
>>1070739
Why did they put deer heads above the TV? Do the antlers improve reception?
>>
bamp. nobody?
>>
Im envious
>>
>>1070739
> a batrery powered lantern hanging off an indian spear mounted to the wall.
>>
>>1070739

E D G E L O R D
D
G
E
L
O
R
D
>>
>>1070739
substitute teaching
walmart
nascar
>>
>>1071761
I'm not trying to shock anyone.

I just look back on all the fucked up shit I've seen and sort of realize that even though I love pampering and cushy beds like anyone else, I've got a bit of a fixation for seeing, nay experiencing human grit and grime, just getting drunker and drunker as shit gets crazier and crazier
>>
>>1070739
well hot damn OP, you're fucked up.
This is a pretty hard community to break into, especially if you can't speak with the East Tennessee mumbles.
Your best chance to get into some meth and shit is either UT Knoxville (they pronounce the K) or ETSU in Johnsonville. Just find a bunch of college kids smoking in a bar or outside a dorm. This is where you might find some people sophisticated enough to attempt to rise out of proverty and talk to you carpet baggers but still have connections back to the moonshining/meth types. But beware you will always be a foreigner here.
Knoxville is also full of crack heads, if you're into that. The Wallgreen's on the strip attracts them like flies. You could always go down the Cherokee Trail to see poverty safely from your car. Or if it's still happening you can go watch wrestling at Maryville High gym, or on public access.
Good luck and Vo Gols
>>
>>1070752
They're pussy liberal repellent. Works a charm.
>>
>>1070752
It may just mean somebody in the family fancied himself a great hunter, and was willing to spend the money on taxidermy, subsequent generations didn't want to show disrespect by throwing them out, and "above the TV" is just where there was space in the current house.

I know there were a couple of such items (I think one was a moose) in my grandfather's house, inherit from his father, which we ultimately gave away when he (my grandfather) died.
>>
>>1072447
You forgot to mention E magnolia ave, can't forget them dudes if we're talking knoxville
>>
>>1072471
I got my late Uncle's deer head over my wife's sewingmachine, just for grins.
Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.