[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Volunteering abroad
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /trv/ - Travel

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 2
Hey /trv/, I don't usually (actually, I just lurk) post stuff here, but I've been lurking for a while and could not find a thread of the likes of this, so I decided to make one.

Basically I'm 18 years old, living in Australia, but come from South America (so I am fluent and proficient in Spanish); I have decided to take 2016 as a year for working and travelling a bit more, but this time on my own.

My main idea was working for at least the first half of the year saving up some money in hardmode (barely spending anything) and the from July up to November or December do volunteering abroad as a form of travelling and attempting to make a difference, or at least broaden my world views a bit more for future me.

Now, I was thinking about either somewhere in Africa or somewhere in South America (probably easier for me for language reasons), but as I've been researching for the last couple months, these "volunteering abroad" associations for first worlders with money a profitable organizations, and seem to be more of a pat in the back type of thing.

Should I just backpack it somewhere on my own and find volunteer there? Is the idea of volunteering abroad delusional in itself? Should I go with a project sort of thing?

I know how to handle myself in airports, but never been left alone in a foreign country (always had at least one mate or relative).

Thanks /trv/, you are true heroes of the world
>>
Forgot to say that I'm willing to go and do it anywhere in the world really, but I thought that Africa and South America and main focus points for this sort of endeavour... Maybe SE Asia, but you guys would know about that
>>
>>1070720
Google Peace Corps.
>>
>>1070731
I'll check that out man, but as I said, I live in Australia
>>
>>1070734
Like I said, google Peace Corps.
>>
>>1070754
Alright, well, thanks mate, I sure will when I get home.

I'm still taking any othe possible inputs if possible
>>
What skills you got? I'm helping out a university in Africa with IT related stuff for a trimester.
>>
>>1070783
Skills? Cert III in hospitality and training in barista, waitering, bartending, etc.

Besides that, I can do physical work and play the guitar really, as I said, I am 18 years old mate
>>
>>1070754
>>1070779
You know anon, I googled peace corps well and it turns out I NEED to be an USA citizen. Besides that they require professionals in some sort of field, which I am not. Finally, and I really don't want to sound tedious here, I only account with 4-5 months to do anything I wish to do before December
>>
Bumpo
>>
workaway/helpx/wwoof
>>
>>1071581
I'll look that up, but it isn't necessarily what I was asking about, meaning, volunteering related and such
>>
File: beep beep passport visa stamps.jpg (74 KB, 640x443) Image search: [Google]
beep beep passport visa stamps.jpg
74 KB, 640x443
>>1070720
I have no idea, but your pic reminded me of this one, so I'm posting it.
>>
For South America, check out this page
http://www.volunteersouthamerica.net
It has a bunch of volunteering projects that have no or low fees
>>
>>1072013
Definitely checking it out, know anyone who has tried it or may have any experiences on the usage of it?
>>
Not OP here but I have a few questions.
The stuff I find on workaway or helpx almost sounds too good to be true.
As a native German-speaker there would be lots of stuff for me to do in many attractive places around the world without having to worry about lodging and the like.
Has anyone here made any experience with either of these websites, and if so how were they?
>>
>>1073060
Also I heard stories about volunteers being exploited or straight up scammed.
How much is there to that?
>>
>>1073060
No experience here but can you elaborate?
>>
Why don't you try AIESEC? It seems fun
>>
>>1073182
On Workaway alone I've found so many interesting and cool offers that I sort of assume there's a catch.
Can it be really true that you get to chill near Krabi, or many other places in SEA just for manning the reception of some hostel for 25 hours a week or talking to some people in German and English for even less time?
Maybe I'm just overly suspicious.
Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.