[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I've been working as a teacher for international schools
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /trv/ - Travel

Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 1
File: 123.jpg (92 KB, 608x439) Image search: [Google]
123.jpg
92 KB, 608x439
I've been working as a teacher for international schools in Asia for a couple of years. It's been ok so far, but I won't do it forever. The problem is that I'm an only child and my parents have a farm and basically disapprove of me teaching and especially being abroad. So I agreed to get more into farming (when I was younger, I wanted to have nothing to do with it, which is why I now know basically nothing). Before I really get serious about it, I thought I'd try to combine it with traveling by doing WWOOF.

From what I've understood so far, WWOOF b basically has their own organisation for each country and they have nothing to do with each other. I'm from Germany and I've been considering Japan, the US, Italy or France. Do you think it's actually possible to acquire at least some agricultural knowledge by doing WWOOF?

Also, what are your experiences with WWOOF?
>>
Sorry, can't help you with your question, but I'm curious what you're teaching in Asia as a German? Are you teaching English or German or something?
>>
I'm teaching English, French and philosophy in a German school.
>>
>>1070690
You would get some practical experience and knowledge if you were on a larger farm in Australia or the US. I'm from rural Australia where the farmers have year long crop rotations so it would be beneficial if you stayed an entire year (or maybe two) working on one farm.

WWOOFing rarely last for a year but it might be a good place to start as your host would have contacts on larger farms.

If you're interested in animals, there are a number of cattle and sheep stations in South Australia, New South Wales and Queensland that might take you on if you're fit and can drive a manual 4wd/motorbike.
>>
OP here. Thanks, but I'm not really that interested in Australia and I unfortunately won't be able to stay longer than a couple of months.

My own farm mostly has cereals and sugar beets, I don't really know of the countries I listed has those. When it comes to animals, I'm not interested at all.
>>
>>1071207
Find a region where they grow what you want to farm and try figure out what time of year they do the harvest. Try contact some farmers before you leave and see if you can help out. Work your schedule around that as there is no point spending 2 months watching barley grow.
>>
Does anyone have an actual experience with WWOOF to share?
Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.