[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Thoughts on Iceland
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /trv/ - Travel

Thread replies: 98
Thread images: 14
File: Wallpaper_cb64a5_5703965.jpg (107 KB, 780x439) Image search: [Google]
Wallpaper_cb64a5_5703965.jpg
107 KB, 780x439
Hey /trv/ was wandering if any of you guys have visited Iceland during the summer time? Long story short I fucked up on buying an iceland air ticket that I can not refund and might as well use the credit before it expires.
>>
>>1070619
I refuse to visit unless they set up a Skyrim replica village/amusement park.
>>
One of my favorite places I have travelled. Been 4 times and planning on a fifth trip. I biked the ring road once which was torture, but worth it and rented a shitty Suzuki to drive around the second time. From Us east coast it is restively cheap to get there too
>>
>>1070619
Hands down the most boring place I have visited. Sorry to tell you this OP.
>>
>>1070619
Summer time is exactly when you want to visit. There is plenty to see for several days. What are you worried about?
>>
File: White Walkers.jpg (4 KB, 300x168) Image search: [Google]
White Walkers.jpg
4 KB, 300x168
>>1070619
>>1071322
Aside from the northern lights what else is there to see in Iceland.....in the Winter.
>>
>>1071378
Icelander here I have always wanted to offer a tourist on a true "jeppaferð" problem is I don't own anything lifted anymore
>>
>>1070619
Bump for interest. wow air is flying from LA to Iceland starting this summer. Prices seem to be pretty decent.
>>
>>1071399
I had to Google jeppaferð.

Yeah that could be fun, riding ATVs is a popular way to see the outdoors here. People do not typically do it in the winter though and for that reason I can't imagine them doing it in Iceland.
>>
OP here, sadly Iceland air told me they won't do airline credit and will only get 50% of my $500 ticket refunded. But now that I know it's cheap to fly there, heck might as well go anyway.

Anyone know how the month of May is there? I want to get there before many of the tourists swamp the place and raise the prices. However I really want to see Fjords at their best!
>>
>>1071461
We use snowmobiles in winter
>>
>>1071707
Do the locals even go out much in the winter?
>>
>>1071890
like party out or /out/ out?
I do desu
>>
>>1071901
both actually
>>
>>1070619
Reykjavik is a really nice city and the golden circle was pretty incredible. i absolutely want to go back because not driving the entire island is a regret.
>>
File: RING.jpg (51 KB, 500x375) Image search: [Google]
RING.jpg
51 KB, 500x375
>>1071918
What is the "golden circle"?
>>
I want to go this summer and spend a bunch of monies on helicopter and artic truck tours.

Fuck my wallet
>>
>>1073276
>artic truck tours.
Not gonna be nearly as ebin in summer
>>
>>1073265
It's a tourist route in the southern region of Iceland. Lots of historical monuments and geysers to see. It's called 'Gullni hringurinn' in the native tongue if you want to look for it yourself.
>>
I live here (Akureyri), AMA
>>
File: 1452990050698.jpg (28 KB, 354x313) Image search: [Google]
1452990050698.jpg
28 KB, 354x313
>>1073341
Where to go for best clubs/nightlife. gotta see what icelandic pussy is like
>>
>>1073355
Reykjavík, other cities don´t have nightlife
Clubs in Reykjavík are easy to find, I´d recommend you some but I never go to that godforsaken city
>>
>>1073358
How come you dont like Reykjavik?
>>
>>1073361
Bunch of hipsters and liberals, also very degenerate and forced-modern
>>
>>1070619
It's not as cold as you'd think
>>
File: IMG_0064.jpg (1 MB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0064.jpg
1 MB, 3264x2448
>>1073362
Fucking this.
>>1073341
AK REPRESENT
>>
>>1073279
Why's that? Does all the snow melt? No northern lights in summer? Elaborate please.
>>
>>1071310
>Hands down the most boring place I have visited. Sorry to tell you this OP.
I don't fully disagree with this poster, because though I adored my trip there, I was quite cognizant how it could be quite a bit of nothing to some travelers, the whole time I was there. No trees. Extremely rural former-fishing industry boring little towns...surely the resort traveler would hate it probably the Ibiza type would.

Why I liked it? I was a minor in English with medieval sagas once upon a time. I read Tolkein, Jules Verne and other authors who were influenced by that landscape. While there I had an amazing experience at Snorrastofa, and the Settlement Museum with saga related fun. I used to do C-14 Dating in my undergrad years, and alllll my coworkers were geologists. I had been to Volcanoes national park in Hawaii, and Santorini both, and even though I had seen glaciers in Alaska, I wasn't prepared for how cool the landscape was in Iceland. The geysers were a hoot, and I could have watched them a couple hours, I'm sure.
As a world traveler interested in all things epicurean and a self-described foodie, I was fortunate to have $$$ while there, because I have to say 100% of my meals were absolutely great (except for the shit coffee everywhere). From the famous hot dog to the smoked lamb at breakfast, I felt like the food was always prepared by culinary school trained chefs, so maybe something is great in the local public education, not sure. I have only been there in late August, but have seen the northern lights on all visits. I've seen the annual sheep roundup, which is like right out of a scene of Town & Country magazine, with horse and tack and family gatherings, and I'd highly recommend taking a tour to ride with them. I haven't ice climbed, as I've done it other places, but the lava tubes are on my list for future trips.
As far as spas go, I've been to roughly half of the world's top 50 on any given year. Blue lagoon is WORTH it.
>>
>>1073464
>Does all the snow melt?
Mostly.
>No northern lights in summer?
It's light 24/7 no northern lights
>>
>>1073451
Ayy, hvernig ertu?

>>1071310
Then you had shit planning. If you just fly somewhere with no preparation of tour guide or even a travel book, you're gonna have a bad time, no matter where you go.
>>
>>1073464
>Why's that? Does all the snow melt? No northern lights in summer? Elaborate please.
Northern lights need the sky to be quite dark to be visible, and so brush off your astronomy and understandings of the longer days or longer nights related to latitude, and then you understand why the time of year matters to this latitude (which isn't actually high enough to be polar). They exist year round, but need clear dark skies to be visible or spectacular. The rest of it is 3 days distance to the sun predictions, and solar storms making it here. That fact and weather predictions of no cloudy skies make up the rest of the factor.
>>
File: jeppi.jpg (73 KB, 960x637) Image search: [Google]
jeppi.jpg
73 KB, 960x637
>>1073478
1. Ertu Kristinn?
2. Ertu í VMA?
3. Krúser eða patrol?
>>
File: Kristinn.jpg (13 KB, 291x415) Image search: [Google]
Kristinn.jpg
13 KB, 291x415
>>1073486
1. Nei, því miður :(
2. Nei, ég er ekki í háskóla núna
3. Krúserrrrrrrr
>>
File: image.jpg (51 KB, 480x360) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
51 KB, 480x360
>>1073490
Plebbi
Plebbi
PATROL LÍFIÐ
>>
>>1073494
Er...ertu Kristinn?
>>
>>1073495
neib
Veistu nokkuð hvaða ár hann er fæddur?
>>
>>1073497
Um 1995? Kannski?
>>
>>1073499
Ég myndi giska á 96 2bh
>>
>>1073500
Já, hann er líklega 19.
Ertu þjóðernisjafnaðarstefna anon eða Pírataflokkur anon?
>>
File: image.jpg (146 KB, 800x1264) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
146 KB, 800x1264
>>1073503
Píratar meiga fokka sér
>>
>>1073504
Lol ég þekki þig
>>
File: image.jpg (103 KB, 600x876) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
103 KB, 600x876
>>1073505
Kannastu við mig á 4chan eða irl?
>>
>>1073508
Á 4chan
Ég held ekki að ég þekki þig irl
>>
>>1073513
Gott
Var farin að hafa áhyggjur
>>
>>1073517
Ég MEGI þekkja þig irl
>>
>>1073518
Þekkir þú einhvern sem er fæddur 99?
Gaman að sjá Arkan aftur þegar ég var svona 13-14 ára elskaði ég hann
>>
Could you guys please move your Icelandic chat somewhere else? It's making it more difficult for the rest of the people who want to read and write about visiting Iceland.
>>
>>1073521
Nei.
>>
>>1073522
>>1073521
We could just do it in English, then it's a little more relevant

>>1073520
>Þekkir þú einhvern sem er fæddur 99?
None that go on 4chan, but I suppose I know some
>>
>>1073524
ekki að fara skipta yfir í ensku 2bh
>>
>>1073526
You should, >>1073521 is right. We should keep it at least somewhat relevant.
>>
>>1073528
K
>>
>>1073518
>serbian warlord
>icelandic text
How are these related?
>>
File: more to life.png (647 KB, 642x616) Image search: [Google]
more to life.png
647 KB, 642x616
>>1073532
>>
>>1073362
>>1073451
Oi lads
I'm moving to Iceland this April. There are plenty of people offering accomodation for a little help with farmwork. I think I'll start with a place like that and get a proper job in a month or so. Could you recommend me a region to pick? I want a place with interesting landscape and some job opportunities with hopefully cheap rooms to rent. I don't feel like living in the capital.

Also, how do you feel about Polish living there?
>>
>>1073996
Are there any farms??? Hrm. Saw a few greenhouses. Sheep run wild as day.
>>
>>1073996
Do you have any special education or skills? If you're going for farmwork, there are lots of horse farms in Iceland. They need people to take care of their precious horses.
>>
>>1074053
https://www.workaway.info/hostlist-IS.html
>>
>>1074062
I'm an English teacher, but prefer manual work to teaching. I'd love to try out being a fisherman, for instance :)
>>
>>1074065
Or be waiter. I can drive trucklifts as well. I can do any job for minimal wage actually, for a start
>>
>>1074072
I meant forklift*
>>
>>1073996
I fucking hate poles they all smoke are aggressive and smell like fish
>>
>>1074065
Fishing only hires experienced people or Icelanders from my experience unless it's for something like stacking boxes in the cargo hold
>>
>>1074112
I was afraid of that
>>1074113
Ok thanks for info. What area would you recommend?
>>
>>1073996
>Could you recommend me a region to pick?
For farming? Hard to say. Vestfirðir are nice, comfy, beautiful landscapes, but it's basically in the middle of nowhere. If you're fine with being many, many miles from the nearest small town, then go for it, but otherwise steer clear. Also it gets pretty cold there.

Reykjanes is always an option, there are some cool towns and villages on the Southern coast, but I personally wouldn't want to be so close to the capital, especially if you're looking for a nice, quiet life.

Th East is like the wild west: all the villages are miles apart and there's hardly anyone out there, also hardly anything to do. Plenty of farming and apparently doesn't get too cold, so keep that option in mind. It's on the extreme end of the "nothing to do" spectrum, so keep that in mind. There's an /int/ user who lives in a tiny village out there, so maybe if you ask there you can find him.

The South is pretty scenic but not much else, very barren in terms of settlements. A few larger towns, that's it. No long rows of villages like in the Southwest or East.

Straight up North is too cold for year-round farming, you won't want to do that. Also quite depressing at times with all the darkness.

Your best bet is probably either Vestfirðir or the East.

>>1073996
>how do you feel about Polish living there?
I don't like it, neither do our old people and rednecks. I'm surprised a farmer offered to house you, to be honest. Polacks are like the Mexicans of Iceland, they make up the vast majority of our near non-existent crime and generally like to section themselves off from Icelandic society and culture. But, hey, if you assimilate with your village and don't act like a fuccboi then you should be fine.
>>
As an Americlap, Iceland is the most expensive country I've ever been to.
>>
>>1074600
Thanks for your touristbux, America-kun. Did you enjoy our whale steaks, or are you some PETA faggot?
>>
>>1074596
Thanks for the post. I'm not much into farming, you know, I would much rather live by the sea but I'm determined to do anything to make a living.
It's a shame my fellow Pollacks have managed to get bad reputation already.
Is the cost of living much different throughout Iceland? Is it much of a problem to rent a room in a smaller town?
>>
>>1070649
they kind of have that, some viking thing close to the capital.
>>
>>1074600
have you been to switzerland?
>>
>>1074655
>Is the cost of living much different throughout Iceland?
Not too, just crazy expensive everywhere. Around big cities tends to be more expensive, though.
>Is it much of a problem to rent a room in a smaller town?
It's certainly cheaper, and the locals won't mind too much as long as you're hardworking and learn our language. The worst xenophobia you'll ever encounter will be something like a local not greeting you on the bus or something trivial like that.

But do learn our language, not knowing any Icelandic while also trying to live here is a surefire way to make everyone hate you.
>>
>>1071322
Is winter that bad?
>>
I will likely be visiting Iceland in June, what kind of weather should I expect?
>>
>>1074943
>Around big cities

>implying
>>
>>1075430
too fucking warm
like 18°
>>
>>1071378
You can do pretty much everything still? Hot springs, golden circle tour, geysers, visit glaciers, the allthing, etc... It's super cold though. Biting wind everywhere. But it's beautiful! Also New Year's celebration in Reykjavik is amaaaaaazing
>>
>>1070687
What went into biking the ring road? Did you camp out or make it to the next town and ho(s)tel it up?
Interested in Iceland to do this but I'd probably freeze to death at this point in the year. Just got back to the states from the Baltic for a first travel trip. Next will be in two months or so.
>>
>>1070687
>shitty Suzuki
A jimny?
Know a guy who owns 8 who have been rolled by tourists
>>
File: IMG_2212.jpg (7 MB, 8320x3098) Image search: [Google]
IMG_2212.jpg
7 MB, 8320x3098
>>1071310
It's most interesting for outdoors people who love to go on long hikes. Not much in terms of urban areas and the trees are all located around farms and towns because they're all imported to the island. No natural trees there.
>>
I will be visiting Iceland in November, what can I expect?

Any fun ideas?
>>
>>1073478
>If you just fly somewhere with no preparation of tour guide or even a travel book
If you fly somewhere with a guide book you're a fucking pussy. Pick out like three places you want to go and just go, the rest will always handle itself out.

I've never planned a trip and I've never had a bad time.
>>
>>1071565
>Anyone know how the month of May is there? I want to get there before many of the tourists swamp the place and raise the prices. However I really want to see Fjords at their best!
The fjords are really over in the rest of Iceland (West, North), where not as many tourists will be, so you know, most don't leave the city beyond the Golden Circle tour or the glacier and glacier filled bay to the South, so you know. You won't see many at all, most of the time you're in Iceland outside of Blue Lagoon or buses going to the 3 items on the one tour.

May and September are what is known in the travel industry as "shoulder seasons" those couple of weeks where the weather may be inhospitable, or it might be unseasonably nice, either/or. It's luck of the draw. Prices, however will not be static. Last minute travelers and occupancy kind of changes as the owners wish, and though it may not be peak high like you booking right now for some July hotel stay, you may not save that much other than crowds in May. I've been in September and I had a car. If I wanted a bus, I'd have been out of luck, they had stopped running. I encountered NO people wherever I went...like 1 person in a N1 gas station when I stopped, about 4 other guests at Thingvellir, about 6 at the geysirs, maybe 20 people at Blue Lagoon in each locker room (but sold out massage bookings), and while I went up to Snaefellsnes and the West Fjords, I encountered maybe 1 person on the road every hour in the opposite direction. The weather was perfection, no rain, clear and safe roads (didn't even need a 4WD really), sun and not bitingly cold, except at night. Wind was high however, esp in the North..you could blow over in a short walk in a car park. Weather was far too rough for any boating ideas unless you wanted a Deadliest Catch kind of experience, haha.
>>
What is Icelandic cuisine like, anything I should seek out or avoid?
>>
>>1076615
Seek out: whale steak, baked goods, hákarl (you either love it or hate it), hotdogs
Avoid: Cambodian food
>>
Hey, what's the best time of the year to visit Iceland my dudes?
>>
>>1077241
>e of the year to visit Iceland my dudes?
Depends on what you are looking for. If you want to stroll around in Reykjavík go with July (or if you want to travel the golden circle), if you want to experience the Aurora Borealis you should go somtime in Dec-Feb
>>
>>1074825
name?
>>
>>1077241
>>1077538
To add onto what he said, only come in Dec-Feb if you ONLY want to see the Aurora Borealis. Everything else here will suck, between the freezing weather and the dark days. I recommend coming in the summer, the northern lights aren't worth an entire vacation.
>>
>>1077241

I went in April.

Was perfect. Not many tourists, not too cold (coldest night was -6C which isn't that bad), and good driving conditions all around the ring road and golden circle.
>>
>>1077606
>>1077577
>>1077241
Thanks for the advise m8s
>>
>>1077577

The best conditions are actually in August and September.

I'm from Iceland and work at a particularly popular tourist site. Ask me anything, if you want.
>>
Anybody here know if Vestmannaeyjar is worth a visit for a few days in August? Enough to see for three days or is that too long? The volcano looks pretty cool.
>>
>>1078447
Would it really be that bad visiting at the end of February?

I start a new job in early march and want to visit before then.
>>
>>1078447
Me and my wife want to go there in the last days of october, I picked that date because we need to save a lot of money and we want to see/photograph the northern lights. we plan to rent a camper like kukucampers or happycampers to do the ringroad. I live in a tropical weather country, when it's 12ºC we feel like we are frozen. I know there will be cold but it's really that cold? any suggestions?
>>
>>1078447
I love walking a lot. Best walking routes?
>>
It's strange, i've always seen and heard of Iceland on maps and in books but never actually "seen" it.
>>
For you travelers what do you do about cellphone service? I understand Iceland uses GSM instead of CDMA like in the Americas and Canada, do you use Wi-Fi calling or messaging? What kind of internet access is there in Iceland, not too concerned with updating a blog or anything, more concerned with being able to call for assistance in case of emergency.
>>
>>1081390
1990 called, they want their cell phone standards back. Unless you have an ancient stone-age piece of shit phone, it will be able to use GSM or 3G or 4G or anything.

USA has by far the least developed cell phone network in the first world. Hell, even many third world shitholes have better cell phone networks and internet.
Thread replies: 98
Thread images: 14

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.