[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Vienna or Berlin
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /trv/ - Travel

Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 3
File: ViennaRingView.jpg (106 KB, 600x315) Image search: [Google]
ViennaRingView.jpg
106 KB, 600x315
Amerikaner here. I'm thinking of getting my masters (philosophy) from a German-speaking university, since its much cheaper than getting one in the US. Its looking right now to be between Vienna or Berlin. I'm in to old shit, so I'm leaning more toward Vienna atm, but I've heard that Vienna nice for tourists but not for living. Any advice or thoughts on the subject? My German is ok, btw (B2-C1)

tl;dr should I spend two years in Vienna or Berlin.
>>
>>1068995
Go to Vienna because Berlin is fucked up due to all those "refugees."
>>
>>1069019

Human refuge in Vienna was one of the prime reasons for Hitler getting into politics.

Still, probably better than Berlinistan at the moment.
>>
>>1069019
retard
>>
Depends on what you like and, of course, what you can afford. Vienna has breathtaking old architecture and is overall much prettier than Berlin, but also very expensive.
Berlin is bigger, has the better nightlife and better events in general, there is alway something going on. You have many parks, museums, some cool old and modern architectur and the vibe of a very important und busy city. Negative things are some shabby districts and hipsters.
>>
>>1069019
reported this post, can you please stick to pol?
>>1069101
reported this post, can you please stick to pol?
>>1069130
>shabby districts and hipsters
and still, OP studies philosophy, so maybe he even has an interest in that

OP: Look at the institutes you want to study at and what they offer. Vienna is a very beautiful city, but I feel sometimes it's a bit oppressive, with all the baroque buildings, and all. Berlin is more "free", and it's a lot cheaper. There's a stronger art scene in Berlin if you're into that. Both cities offer interesting events regarding philosophy, academia...
>>
>>1069134
>reported this post, can you please stick to pol?
Violence due to immigration is a valid point in choosing where OP should live. Stop being a pussy.
>>
>>1069134
>announcing reports

you know that is a bannable offense right anon?
>>
File: jew gotta be kiddin.jpg (151 KB, 1395x1080) Image search: [Google]
jew gotta be kiddin.jpg
151 KB, 1395x1080
>>1069134

>i report posts which have politically incorrect statements
>on 4chan
>>
I've only visited both, as a tourist, and I feel that Berlin would be more suitable for student life than Vienna, but I dunno. For sure it would be cheaper. For some it will be more lively and interesting

Do take into account what you want to do after your studies. Do a bit of research on what institutes would be available after that, and if you're going to move to a different country or not etc.

At least as a guy who left for studies, and decided to stay, I realized that what happens after your studies is often more important than the couple of years you spend as a student there.
>>
>>1069138
well, most of the violence in germany is actually perpetrated by far-right groups (see the riots in leipzig). so that might be a reason why OP would not want to move to Germany, but the Syrians are hardly at fault for that
>>1069148
I care very little. I'd just like this board to talk about travel, not about 4chan-style "politics".
>>1069150
So funny. Don't you have high school
>>
File: adfvav.png (139 KB, 342x380) Image search: [Google]
adfvav.png
139 KB, 342x380
>>1069154
>"most of the violence in germany is actually perpetrated by far-right groups"
>leftists all agree that poverty causes criminality
>that young men commit the most crime
>that some cultures promote violence against outsiders
>1 million poor people who are mostly young men show up from a third world country and suddenly they proclaim the natives are the root of all crime

you can't make this shit up
>>
>>1069138
it's ridiculous to pretend that that's a factor
>>
I'm Viennese and it's very nice for living imo. The only thing I can't say anything about is housing bc I was living with my parents until I finished university.
Also bureaucracy can be quite a horror towards foreigners, but I doubt that's different in Germany.
>>
>>1069163
>it's ridiculous to pretend that that's a factor
It's not worth trying that after what happened in Cologne...among other various incidents. Everyone knows you are full of shit.
>>
>>1069321
he's obviously a guy though so why should he care?
>>
>>1068995
i would pick berlin 10/10 times just because of the epic nightlife and it is more closely related to the periods of history im most interested in.
it's also cheaper if that matters for you.
one drawback is that it's definitely not as beautiful as wien
>>
>>1069364
this
>>
>>1069019
>Berlin is fucked up due to all those "refugees."
Nope. Berlin is fucked up because of all the "Berliners".
Essentially, Berlin is a failed city, that is governed and working just a tiny notch above third world tier. It just also accidentally (and shamefully) happens to be the capital of Europes most prosperous and powerful economy.
That said, if you weasel your way through, can improvise and maybe even enjoy left-wing anarchy and decay, you certainly can make living in Berlin a pleasant experience, plus, night life and culture are a big thing.

But Vienna is quite nice too, and in many ways similar.

As a German living in Austria, its quite funny how the non-viennese Austrian complaining about the idiots from Vienna, is totally the same as the non-berlin Germans complaining about the idiots from Berlin. Both cities think they are something special, just because they are the capital, and are percieved to be totally not a representation of the "true" Germany/Austria.

And as a German from the south, having lived in the north before, I would always choose Austria/Vienna, over the north/east of Germany/ Berlin, because I dont like the mentality of northerners and Ossis, plus, the total lack of anything resembling landscape in the north-east (besides the coast) makes me depressive. In Vienna, you can quickly reach the Alps and its foreland mountains, whereas in Berlin, you can quickly reach the brown, flat wastelands of the former DDR.
>>
>>1069371
Thank you for your comment, faggot
>>
soft bump
Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.