[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Papua new guinea highlands
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /trv/ - Travel

Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 1
File: Rbveheh.jpg (246 KB, 768x1024) Image search: [Google]
Rbveheh.jpg
246 KB, 768x1024
Hello /trv/

Looking for jungle survival tips.

In about two weeks i will be going to papua new guinea for work (geologist, mining exploration). I will probably be there for about 50 days +/-. Will fly into port moresby, then take a small plane into the highlands. Will be living in a field camp which has been built by the client (with showers, cooks, cots, a fuckton of aussies etc).

The study will involve hiking for most od the day every day, and we will have local help to haul equipment (way cheaper than bringing field techs from the usa).

However i have never been to the tropics before. Grew up in western united states, and the majority of my fieldwork has been in the western us.

Any tips/advice? I have some ideas about clothing/boots etc, but any apparel advice is greatly appreciated.

Also any advice on communicating with locals? Avoiding bugs? Not shitting my pants the whole time?

Will post pictures here when i return.

Pic is conditions i am used to. Cold/dessert. Opposite of png.
>>
>>1068813
Information I've got from friends who have been there - one of them multiple times.

After a few days hiking, everything will be wet. Everything. Also, don't expect paths or wildlife. Local guides/porters may try to catch and eat any wildlife you do come across. There's rebels - but they might be chill (moreso than the military) depending on your ties. But, given that you're in the mining business, I'd avoid them - the mining industry has only brought them misery. Indigenous population is subject to what amounts to a creeping genocide. Situation may be politically tense as a result. And avoid Port Moresby, it's murder city. Like, really.
>>
>>1068813
>a fuckton of aussies

Shit mate there's no survival tip for that
>>
https://primitivetechnology.wordpress.com/
>>
>>1068813

Hey there friend

I'm a geology student at the moment, just wondering how you got the job and how tough the job market is at the moment?

How do you get experience? Do many companies offer international internships?
>>
>>1068849
Sweet thanks.

Im not too worried about safety, as we are staying in a pretty established camp of about 100 people, many of whom are locals working for the client. And yeah im hoping to go straight from the airport to the junlge without spending any time in port moresby.

>>1068853
Lol the camp is dry (no alcohol allowed) too. I have never spent much times with sober australians.

>>1068886
I actually took a very strange route into the industry. I studied physics in college, then worked as a pseudo engineer doing aerodynamic design for a while. Started to hate the desk, went looking for something that would get me outside more. I actually work in geophysics, and i know next to nothing about geology haha.

What part of the country do you go to school in? I dont have many job tips.. a lot of mining/oil companies have internships. Meeting them in person is the best way, as a lot of the industry is old men who dont give a fuck about linkedin etc.

What type of geology are you studying?
>>
>>1068813
Also anyone feel free to share stories about the jungle, indigenous people, gang rapes of tourists, tropics etc
Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.