[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Hi trv, im european and I've been wanting to do a longer
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /trv/ - Travel

Thread replies: 6
Thread images: 1
File: 1446146764059.jpg (89 KB, 1600x800) Image search: [Google]
1446146764059.jpg
89 KB, 1600x800
Hi trv, im european and I've been wanting to do a longer hitchhike through Europe, mainly to Germany. I live in portugal.
Ha anyone here done anything like this before? Any experiences or stories, tips would be helpful.
>>
>>1067993
Hitchhiking experience depends on the country:

>Easy tier:
Germany
Poland
Czech Republic
Netherlands
Belgium

>Medium tier:
Austria
Slovenia
Hungary
France

>Pain in the arse tier:
Spain
Italy

Write a sign, try to hop from one rest area with petrol stations on motorways to another, plan your trip, carry a map and plan ahead, talk to people, check the hitchwiki for tips and stay safe.
>>
>>1067998
>Pain in the are tier
Why? Are people just not gonna pick you up?

What do I do when I haven't reached the next city but it's getting dark? Hitchhike through the night? Sleep in the open?
>>
>>1068185

I've hitchhiked from Poland to Italy and I can confirm that Italy is pain-in-the-ass tier. People are just less likely to give you a ride, plus hitchhiking is illegal on highways. I don't think you can get in trouble for it really, but it contributes to people not wanting to give you a ride. Italians in general were assholes during my trip and could barely speak any English, even people in their 20s.

I've had to sleep at a service station after not being able to get a ride before it got dark and slept on the grass behind some trucks. I got to Bologna the next day and couldn't get a ride out and slept under a tree in a park. I was planning on getting to Rome by hitchhiking, but it was such an awful experience in Italy that I ended up taking a bus from Bologna to Rome.
>>
>>1068185
I usually pitch a tent somewhere out of sight from the service station.

Hitchhiking at night is not a good idea, due to less traffic and people rather give lifts during the day. In Italy, it is illegal to hitchhike on grade-separated highways, fines can be hefty. In Spain hitchhiking is not common and people don't seem to get the concept or are a little scared.
>>
>>1068220
>>1068233
Is that legal? That's close to just being a vagabond.
And I know that in most eu states it's illegal to pitch a tent somewhere in the open/sleep outside.
Thread replies: 6
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.