[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
First Time Traveling
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /trv/ - Travel

Thread replies: 2
Thread images: 1
File: Travel_Program_fi.jpg (78 KB, 630x322) Image search: [Google]
Travel_Program_fi.jpg
78 KB, 630x322
>tldr: I have two months to travel, and I want to visit another country, but I have no idea how one travels without a local guide. How do I cope when I have no language ability? How do I ensure that I do not get lost and am unable to return home without meticulous planning?

/trv/, I have never traveled before. I work in China as a teacher, I bused and trained around hundreds of miles in northern China (from the grasslands at the tip to the choking pollution around Beijing), I have served as a missionary in southern India, and I have flown to South Korea to meet an international student from university, but I have never traveled.

Working in China as a teacher, I have not once gotten on a bus or train. I walk wherever I need to go, and while I have walked for hours in every direction, I have always walked in a straight line, so that I do not get lost (and I have always returned home).

In northern China, I met with a friend from university who arranged train tickets, bus tickets, and taxi services. I had no input into where we went. He took me to places he thought I would like, and I followed.

In southern India, it was much of the same as northern China. Our housing was arranged. Our transportation was arranged. We merely had to serve without thought of such logistics.

In Seoul, Korea, I stayed at a flat with an international student. While his mother had invited me, he did not care to show me around. For two weeks, I walked for hours in every direction (always a straight line, so that I did not get lost) from the flat. I never got on a bus. I never got on a train. Occasionally, he would feel obligated to drive me somewhere or show me his hometown (via train), and I would follow after his tail.

I have no idea how to travel. In China, the school semester is over until February 27th. I have 23,600 RMB (or 3,500 USD) in the bank. I want to travel, but I have no idea how to.

I will leave China if I travel because of the Spring Festival craziness.
>>
>>1067932
Ok, you're a very interesting case. I don't think you're far off from being a good enough traveler to manage everything on your own. You've already experienced other countries so now it's just a matter of doing it on your own.

I think for someone like you, I would pre-plan everything I wanted to see and do and research transport options before going to where you want to go. It will make you more comfortable and more confident.

You're in China, do you speak any Mandarin at all? Research where trains can take you from your city, look up hostels or hotels online book them for the nights you plan on staying and buy a train ticket to get there and come back. If you want to visit more than 1 place book a ticket to get there, a ticket to the following destinations (s) and book accommodations in all destinations. When it comes to actual travel and exploring places don't be afraid to get lost. The worst that will happen to you in China is that you'll pay more for a cab to get you to the right place.

If you're looking at leaving China, look at budget airlines that fly out of your city and where they go. Same rules apply afterwards. Just book a hotel/hostel and look up what's interesting to visit in the area.

If you have any specific questions let us know.
Thread replies: 2
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.