[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
American behaviour
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /trv/ - Travel

Thread replies: 59
Thread images: 3
File: NL_3812_Bild_3_g.jpg (19 KB, 430x210) Image search: [Google]
NL_3812_Bild_3_g.jpg
19 KB, 430x210
Hello! This post/thread is about american behaviour/cultural differences.

This is what I, as a german, noticed about americans while I was in the US:

-Americans are kind but very loud.
-Americans are very touchy feely.
-Americans don't get self harming humour (when you make jokes about yourself).
They always tried to cheer me up when I made these kind of jokes or sarcastic comments, it was weird but also kind of cute. Here most people would have joined by making a similliar joke about themselfs.
-Americans are more spontaneous.
Most Germans do not like surprises. Sudden changes in business transactions for example, even if they may improve the outcome, are unwelcome so this was really...weird for me sometimes when things suddenly were changed even though there were no need to.
-Americans talk about all kinds of stuff at work.
Work and personal lives are rigidly divided here so I was suprised when a colleague was talking about his weekend plans on the phone at work
-Americans still praise you for your work even if you failed or did not do the work as good as expected.
I can very well remember the following: "You did your best! You still did a good job."
-Americans make a big deal about everything.
(--> OMG THANK YOU, OHH THATS SO SWEET)
-Flags everywhere.
-Why do you always have to mention your freedom?
I think this is very funny. Are you scared to lose it?
-"sociability" (Americans are more open and sociable with strangers than Germans).
Germans have rather high outer walls, but once you made it, you graduate quickly to friend status, and surprisingly often it’s friend for life.

Americans have low outer walls, making many acquaintances, but have a high second wall for true friendships.

Do some of you agree with this? What did you experience?
Does an american agree or disagree?
>>
We talk about our personal lives at work because Americans spend quite a lot of their time at work. We are the only developed country in the world that doesn't require paid vacation, it's up to the employer. Since we spend a lot of time at work we try to personalize it more by simply making it a more intricate part of your life, and if you don't you end up becoming very lonely and depressed. Your co-workers are normally your best friends for us outside our families.
>>
How easy is it for an American to bang German chicks?
>>
>>1067348
I see. Thats makes sense.
Thank you for responding!
>>
Burger here.

>Americans are kind but very loud

Agree

-Americans are very touchy feely

Agree

>Americans don't get self harming humour

Somewhat agree. American stand up comedians are very self-deprecating but in general, yeah I've noticed whenever I've made a self-deprecating joke/just making fun of myself people are like "hey, you shouldn't talk about yourself like that." Lol.

>They always tried to cheer me up when I made these kind of jokes or sarcastic comments, it was weird but also kind of cute. Here most people would have joined by making a similliar joke about themselfs.

See above.

>Americans are more spontaneous.

Guess I agree.

>Most Germans do not like surprises. Sudden changes in business transactions for example, even if they may improve the outcome, are unwelcome so this was really...weird for me sometimes when things suddenly were changed even though there were no need to.

Can't comment.

>Americans talk about all kinds of stuff at work.

Agree

>Work and personal lives are rigidly divided here so I was suprised when a colleague was talking about his weekend plans on the phone at work.

Lol sounds like an Ameridonald's office.

>Americans still praise you for your work even if you failed or did not do the work as good as expected. I can very well remember the following: "You did your best! You still did a good job."

Can't say I agree from my own personal experience.

>Americans make a big deal about everything.(--> OMG THANK YOU, OHH THATS SO SWEET)

Agree.

>Flags everywhere

Lol yup. I think we're the only country in the world where some people actually where their country's flag on a shirt or something.

>Why do you always have to mention your freedom?

Idk, don't really hear people talking about "muh freedoms" except for right wingers and "muh guns"

>"sociability" (Americans are more open and sociable with strangers than Germans)

I think this is the case with Americans and all Europeans in general.
>>
>>1067354
Thanks for your time!
>>
This thread is so generalizing. People vary everywhere.

I would expect /trv/ to be more mature and realize this, but I guess there's always a few knuckleheads shitting up every board.
>>
>>1067344
>self harming humour
Since I love it, most of my friends just laugh at it/me but dont try similar jokes. Im not american, so maybe is something cultural.

I have few american friends that fit in this description except the "mention liberty" part, maybe because we where not in america.

I had a very odd german profesor, that would be in part of the diference of age and because he was priest.
>>
>>1067359
>This thread is so generalizing
Obviously every person is different. Still this is the expression I got during my time and saying that a country and its community don't form some sort of different behaviour into the people living there compared to another country is plain ignorance.
Maybe you should start beeing mature yourself?
>>
>>1067344

>Americans still praise you for your work even if you failed or did not do the work as good as expected.
I can very well remember the following: "You did your best! You still did a good job."

Yep. We even give participation awards to school children, just so they don't feel left out when the actual winners get the real awards.

>"sociability" (Americans are more open and sociable with strangers than Germans).
Germans have rather high outer walls, but once you made it, you graduate quickly to friend status, and surprisingly often it’s friend for life.

I'm a bit on the reserved side. I have family in Germany that has visited a few times. Last year my two cousins and a couple of their friends came to visit. I had never met them before and even though we're "family" it took some time for them to open up. Their friends? Good grief. They spoke so-so English so maybe they were a bit embarrassed but they wouldn't talk to anyone unless you initiated the conversation. Most of the time they just sat there. They were nice but very very quiet.
>>
>>1067359
>This thread is so generalizing. People vary everywhere.

Of course they do, but generalizations have their place and tend to come from truth. There's nothing wrong with discussing the general personalities or traits that can be observed in a collectivity.

"E-everyone is different!" This is not helpful and in one sense it is not true. Are you saying there aren't pervasive social/cultural attitudes that differentiate one group of people from another in general? You're basically saying that cultural and social boundaries don't exist because everyone is a boundary in and of himself. That's absurd.

Take this statement. "Men in western liberal democracies value the rights and independence of women more than men in the Islamic World"

"That's so generalizing, everyone is different!"

Of course everyone is different, and opinions will vary individually, but generally speaking this statement is quite true. You don't get anywhere in the fields of psychology, sociology, political science, anthropology... by using a "everyone is an individual" mindset. It's just not helpful.

I am an American and will readily agree with OP about most of these points--these are things that can readily observed in Americans as a people.

You sound like maybe an American who's a little booty-sore some guy accurately called out your country's idiosyncrasies.
>>
>>1067373
>You sound like maybe an American who's a little booty-sore some guy accurately called out your country's idiosyncrasies.

I'm Norwegian, smart guy. I doubt Americans even care what others think of them.

Still, you're seriously overgeneralizing the USA.
>>
As an American, one thing that strikes me about Europeans is that compared to the Anglosphere you're just very humorless and not very "joke-y."

I don't know, could be Anglo bias as an American, but generally continental Europeans come off as way more serious than Anglos to me.
>>
>>1067375
I'm American I agreed with most of OP's points. I don't think he's "overgeneralizing." I don't know man, maybe you need to drop some of your special snowflake mindset and understand that generalizations have their place and are useful when talking about societies.
>>
This is a thread for /int/, isn't it?
>>
>>1067379
A german once said to me that they have "dry humour".
Now what he exactly ment with that...you might wanna figure out by yourself because I still can't come up with something
>>
>>1067388
Dry humor=King of The Hill
>>
Lol OP is bang on. Ich liebe Die Deutschen :')

>>1067354
>I think we're the only country in the world where some people actually where their country's flag on a shirt or something.

Dude, I think Canadians are even worse. I didn't realize it until I went abroad but we have a shit ton of flags. And that's not even counting the ones who travel marked with flags. Like even baggage tags are Canadian flags. Topkek because America catches all the shit for something we also do, as usual

I remember my introduction to German bluntness. I was out with Americans and these 2 German girls. Ones wasted and her friend goes "stop it. You're being so annoying right now". Me and the Americans look at each other like oh no she didn't. And to our surprise, she apologized and they carried on. It's considered rude in North America to call someone annoying. Just goes to show how sensitive we are
>>
>>1067344
first of all, this belongs on >>>/int/

But as an American living in Germany for 6 years, let me say a few things.

Americans do sarcasm and self-deprecation just fine. Maybe more in the north than in the South. Certainly, most Califags have all the depth of a pancake. The problem is more in your German deadpan delivery and robotic facial expressions. Making sarcastic or self-deprecating remarks without any signs of warmth will make people think you're serious. This is what Germans don't understand and most haven't mastered. It's not just your words, but your tone.

It's true, Germans are quite uptight and do not chit-chat or share much about their personal lives with co-workers. It can happen, but as often as not is only very superficial. I am not surprised Germany's population is plummeting and no one's having children, given how much Germans seem to want to avoid each other.

>Germans have rather high outer walls, but once you made it, you graduate quickly to friend status, and surprisingly often it’s friend for life.
Nice German meme. Germs love to say this, I don't know how many times I've heard it, but it's rather shite nonsense. Germans have high outer walls, but you once you 'made' it, you see there's only a barren dark pit of eternal nothingness inside. The 'but Germans are friends for life, unlike phony Americans!' thing is complete bullshit.

>>1067349
I've had a fair deal of success, but Americans are not at all 'exotic' in any big city. You need to bring more to the table than just your American-ness. Australians are much more 'in' and trendy this season.

>>1067388
Christ, have you never heard the expression 'dry' humor before? Are you a Mexican?
>>
>>1067394
Shut up, chink. Have you even been to the US? Canadians have flags at government buildings and hockey games, that's about it. No one wears Canadian Flag bikinis or head-to-toe outfits or has 100 mini Canadian Flags hanging off their porch. Canadian luggage tags are somewhat common, just to differentiate. Mostly because a lot of newb Canadian travellers think being mistaken for American is going to be, like, totally the worst thing ever. It's inferiority complex, not patriotism. Also, a lot of the Canadiana branded gear I see is being sported by brown or Asian immigrants who want to show their relatives back home "Look, we Western now!".

You must have a severely restricted social circle if the spectacle of a friend telling her drunk friend to smarten up has such an impact on you. That's not even a fraction of German bluntness.
>>
>>1067401
Lmao geez, aggressive much?
>mfw my neighbours have Canadian flags draping
>mfw even the most random stores along the highway all have a huge ass flag (bigger than the ones I see in the states)
>mfw my whole city wears clothes with maple leafs on it

Just because it's not the whole flag, doesn't mean it isn't patriotism, you dumb shit
>>
>>1067344
>Why do you always have to mention your freedom? I think this is very funny. Are you scared to lose it?

American here.

Yes, actually. This is a huge political fear for everyday Americans. Even leftist issues are framed in this manner (gay marriage, for example, is a matter of freedoms and rights).

>Americans don't get self harming humour (when you make jokes about yourself).
I also don't understand this, I love self-deprecating humor.
>>
>>1067348
Only normies are so open to share their lifes. They are attention whores everytime
>>
>>1067348
Making friends at work is stupid. Besides they are not truly your friends
>>
>>1067398
>Questions are welcomed, as are threads sharing experiences or generally discussing travel.

OP shared his experience. It could also be posted on /int/ but it isn't out of place here.
>>
>>1067344
American here, sounds pretty accurate. Although I think the touchy feely part is pretty much just a thing with girls. I don't think I've ever met a guy who was like that. Among guys the usual rule (in my experience at least) is that touching is gay so you should generally keep your hands to yourself (greetings notwithstanding).

>I think this is very funny. Are you scared to lose it?
Yeah actually, t.b.h. a lot of people actually are lol.
>>
>>1067410
this
christ, even a canadian cigarette brand has the fucking maple leaf on it (fleur-de-lis in quebec)
>>
I've heard Germans stare a lot.
>>
>>1067465
Ha, they do if you tuck your pants into your combat boots. Was days before I found out I was walking around looking like a damn skinhead the whole damn time.
>>
>>1067344
Americans are stereotypical, but Canadians are even worse!

99.9% of Canadians are completely obsessed with Americans, but resent them at the same time. They always use the term "North American" so that they can group themselves in with the Americans.

Canada is the most insecure country in the entire world.
>>
>>1067410
Do you live in some pleb city like Windsor or somewhere close to the border? I am Canadian and I don't see flags that much. More than Germany or some other ashamed nations, but certainly far less than the US. If that is not obvious to you, you haven't really been the US. Canadians are certainly patriotic to an extent, which comes down to inferiority complex vis-a-vis the US, and so many immigrants trying to over-compensate for their brown skin.

>>1067473
>/int/ memes are just like real life!

Canada's about 1/10th of the population of the US. The US is a global-scale corporate/military/media juggernaut, and Canada lives under its shadow. Of course the US is omni-present in the Canadian psyche (≠ completely obsessed), so it's not at all surprising. It's similar to the way Swiss, Austrians, Irish, New Zealanders, Belarussions, Baltics, etc. feel as the junior partner in a regional bloc dominated by one bigger (often similar) country.

I don't think most Canadians resent Americans though, that is certainly a false reading. We like to rib on them sure, but it's not deep-down serious. Three of my best friends are Americans, and I dated an American girl for a year once upon a time. It's a fine country. Bit wacky in some areas, but lovely to visit, and a convenient neighbour. Most Canadians realize this.
>>
>>1067465
They do, they just have different unspoken rules about how long it's appropriate to look at someone before looking away. Not as bad as Indians or Arabs, but yes certainly a few seconds longer than anglos would.

It's weird because where I'm from, sustained eye-contact means you're going to smile, wave and/or say hello or good morning or something. So I'm always primed for a greeting and say "Hallo, moin", and then the shocked miserable German robot just looks away or sometimes manages to mouth a stunned "h-hello?".
>>
>>1067344
>-Americans still praise you for your work even if you failed or did not do the work as good as expected.
>I can very well remember the following: "You did your best! You still did a good job."

true. but they will spit on your back asap.
>>
>>1067344
Funny you should say Americans are touchyfFeely when our standards of personal space are generally the largest in the world. Though very similar to Northern Europeans. But y'all Euros kiss and hug and strangers, even of the same sex, upon greeting.
>>
>>1067379
Spanish, French, and Italians have their own unique sense of humor, even Norwegians have their own coarse version. What does the Fox Say was from a Norwegian comedy duo.
>>
>>1067394
UK people wear their flag, but my not as much as Asians and others do.
>>
>>1067490 This relates to what I was saying here:
>>1067515 about American's high standard of personal space
>>
>>1067515
>kiss and hug
the french kiss....german males don't do that.
>>
>>1067465
OP here.
This is in fact true. Even though staring at someone is considered rude.
If you catch someone staring at you for to long you might wanna ask him: "Something's wrong?"

Usually the ordinary german will stop staring and feel ashamed that you catched him staring at you. He "wakes" up ;)

In most cases, its harmless. We are now pretty used to the middle eastern people (imigration - don't wanna go to much into detail since it's not politics here) but even I still caught myself staring at them sometimes.

An american I know who lives in Germany often used to went out in one blue and one red shoe...
Some of us folks almost break our necks, watching and staring.

Have you been in Japan? I mean...not in big citys like Tokyo or Nagoya but more rural areas.
You will feel like an alien when they stare at you.
>>
>>1067522
Germans will also stand right on top of you while waiting in a line for something.
>>
>>1067490
>>1067398

ITT: butthurt americans

Don't get me wrong guys, if that's your experience it's fine, but do it like OP. He pointed out the cultural differences he noticed, but did it in a polite way. Why do you seem to need to insult germans or call them robots or put your cultue above everyone elses? Do that on /int/, not here.
>>
>>1067530
I appreciate people like you here.
>>
>>1067529
>>1067526
Hall notes that different cultures maintain different standards ofpersonal space. The Francavilla Model of Cultural Types[citation needed]indicates the variations in personal interactive qualities, indicating three poles: "linear-active" cultures, which are characterized as cool and decisive (Germany, Norway, USA), "reactive" cultures, characterized as accommodating and non-confrontational (Vietnam, China, Japan), and "multi-active" cultures, characterized as warm and impulsive (Argentina, Brazil, Mexico, Italy).[9]Realizing and recognizing these cultural differences improvescross-cultural understanding, and helps eliminate discomfort people may feel if the interpersonal distance is too large ("stand-offish") or too small (intrusive).

Personal space is highly variable, and can be due to cultural differences and personal experiences. TheUnited Statesshows considerable similarities to that in northern and central European regions, such asGermany,the Benelux,Scandinaviaand theUnited Kingdom. The main difference is that residents of the United States of America like to keep more open space between themselves and their conversation partners (roughly 4 feet (1.2m) compared to 2to 3 feet (0.6–0.9m) in Europe).[10]Greeting rituals tend to be the same in these regions and in the United States, consisting of minimal body contact which often remains confined to a simple handshake.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Personal_space
>>
>>1067530
I'm not butthurt. I live in Germany, by choice, and have done so for some years now. I'm not saying Germans are evil because they're different or whatever, that's why I pointed out they have a longer duration of appropriate stare time. It's not malice, just difference.

Germany is a relatively crowded country, and I think there's something in the language that effects thinking, so that 'the stranger' is only greeted if they have some (potential) utility to you, or already known. The well-known 'frontier mentality' probably does a good job of explaining American, Canadian, Australian and perhaps Kiwi friendliness.

>>1067529
>Germans
>waiting in line for anything
It's odd how a group of people so obsessed with efficiency and Ordnung can't even manage a half-civil bloody queuing system. Annoys me to no end when you're waiting for a bus or train, and as soon as it arrives there's a mad crush to the doors by everyone, completely oblivious to who might have been waiting first. Let's not even get started on cafes or grocery stores...
>>
File: welcometotrv.png (112 KB, 1570x824) Image search: [Google]
welcometotrv.png
112 KB, 1570x824
>click on /trv/ for the usual once-every-six-months check in
>as before it's full of self-appointed mods getting massively buttblasted over nothing

I also like how multiple people are indignantly telling each other to go back to /int/ while simultaneously ignoring the fact that they themselves were just told to go back to /int/
>>
>>1067531
Thanks lad

>>1067555
As I said, I don't have any problem with somebody talking about his experiences and generalizing; After all, you shouldn't things see so serious around here. It's just annoying that you can't seem share what you noticed in a proper way and call them "shocked miserable german robot" (I know that's kind of joking) and other things. The fact that you also contradict almost everything OP said and only say bad things about germans and germany (imo very exaggerated, but k) let you seem butthurt.
>>
>>1067564
>*see things
>*seem to
>>
>>1067564
There are good things about Germany, of course. Interpersonal relations between strangers aren't really one of them. Even Germans complain about how unfriendly Germans are.

>in a proper way
Jawohl, there you go. Insisting on doing something informal the 'proper' way. Wie deutsch du bist, mein Gott...

:^)
>>
>>1067576
Yeah, do what you want.
>>
This seems to have at least been able to start out as a pretty decent thread about culture and habits in one country, and how it is seen by other countries in the world.

Which is fine, but this is a travel board. Though /int/ was pretty poisonous last time I went over there, this is a thread that would be on topic there, but is not here.
>>
All i see are a bunch of generalizations. There are different types of people everywhere

Also the obession and often hatred of America needs to end. It's really stupid
>>
>>1067583
see >>1067428

>>1067584
>Also the obession and often hatred of America needs to end. It's really stupid
How old are you?
OP wasn't hating about the US, in fact you proved one of his really politen given points he made.
>>
>>1067584
see >>1067380
and >>1067373
>All i see are a bunch of generalizations. There are different types of people everywhere
You act like a child.
>>
>>1067555
>Let's not even get started on cafes or grocery stores.

How so?
>>
>>1067555
OP here.
>It's odd how a group of people so obsessed with efficiency and Ordnung can't even manage a half-civil bloody queuing system
Now that you mention it and I'm thinking of it...Seems true for most of the time haha. Especially with the bus and train, that puts what you said right to the point.

>Let's not even get started on cafes or grocery stores...
Oh? I haven't seen that here. There is always a que, in my opinion.
Where in Germany do you live if you don't mind me asking?
>>
>>1067592
The fact that we disagree is enough to prove there are differebt tupes of people. Grouping 300 million people from a country that encourages individualism is ignorant as all hell.

Almost as ignorant as cherry picking someone who agrees witj your point and assuming that makes you correct
>>1067590
I didnt say he was hating the u.s., but it is anothwr example of people, particularly europeans, being obsessed with america. All i'm saying is most of that obssession is hatred or trying to feel superior.
How old are YOU?
>>
>>1067344
I've lived in the US and Germany. I can see how a German would develop these opinions. They aren't that off as far as stereotypes go. But the US is a really big country, Germany is slightly smaller than just the state of Montana. Also the US is made up of settlers from a lot of different countries, see image. Its not like they spread out evenly. There are many entire towns where English is not the main language. (including German towns.)

But then Germany isn't just one culture. East, West and South Germany all seem noticeably different to me. Plus there are Sorbs, and now Turks, which are quite different cultures. (And honestly, the turks have really improved the food.)

Anyhow in New Orleans, you could walk down the street with your glass of wine and all your neighbors would say hi and have a little chat. Sometimes in French if you wanted. But in Utah it is hard to even buy alcohol, much less drink it on the street. And in Seattle if you try to say hi to a neighbor, they will often just look frightened and hurry away. I've had friends from big cities who've never learned to drive. But most in small towns or rural areas would give up their house before giving up their car.

just to answer a couple:
>-Americans don't get self harming humour (when you make jokes about yourself).
>They always tried to cheer me up when I made these kind of jokes or sarcastic comments, it was weird but also kind of cute.
I think the problem is, jokes in a second language is hard.

>-Flags everywhere.
>-Why do you always have to mention your freedom?
>I think this is very funny. Are you scared to lose it?
Yes. If an American mentions freedom, top thing on their mind is losing that freedom. Probably by violent government crackdown. There are more guns in the US than citizens. I'd bet most of them were purchased to defend the owner from the government just as much as from criminals.
>>
>>1067595
>Kasse 3 is now open...
>flying arm tornado of chaos
>ME ME ME I WAS HERE FIRST ME!
In the anglosphere, it's generally considered very rude not to maintain the order of the line, even if a new cashier opens up. Whoever was in front of you gets to go in front of you, even if it's a new lane. Ditto with who's behind you. Some jerks don't respect this, but it is the norm IME.

>>1067596
I'm in Hanover now, but only since a year ago. I've also lived in NRW and BaWü, and I've been just about everywhere, even... mystical Thuringia.
>>
>>1067635
>mystical Thuringia
haha

Thanks for your asnwers! I live in BW (BaWü).
Thread replies: 59
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.