[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Hi /trv/, I'm going to be moving to Hamburg Germany soon,
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /trv/ - Travel

Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 1
Hi /trv/, I'm going to be moving to Hamburg Germany soon, and staying for 4 years to complete my BA.

I need tips and advice on how to go about getting a job, any medical advice (especially related to adult ADD/ADHD and how that's handled there, since the info regarding that is surprisingly sparse) along with anything else that might be important (like: areas to avoid)
>>
>>1066897
bump

what will you be completing your BA in and where did you start?

how did it come about that you'll be finishing it in Hamburg?
>>
>>1067365
I have no uni, just a high school degree.

I've chosen Hamburg for many reasons, one being the Liberal Arts degree that's entirely in English (as well as the cost of the tuition. Very cheap compared to here), and two, due to wanting to leave my country, home, and gain a new perspective.

Basically I'm not in a good situation here and I need to leave.

I am open to suggestions though, if there are other uni's in Germany that have English classes. I do know some German, but not enough to take classes in it.
>>
>>1067381
So you got accepted by the university and have your student visa approved by the german embassy?

Else this thread make no sense.
>>
>>1067381
>>1067386

agreed.

what country are you from?
>>
>>1067381
Is this a rough plan or have you actually got acceptance from a university?

>since the info regarding that is surprisingly sparse
No it isn't, you're just not searching in German.

Uni Hamburg is generally not that highly regarded, just fyi. The standard time to finish a BA is 3 years, not 4. Although you could take longer, but the Auslanderbehörde tend not to like that.

Not knowing German will severely limit your social circle and ability to function in society. You can get by with English, especially if you're a native speaker, but again you will have a very limited social circle.

It's very rare for a German university to offer a bachelor in English, since most German kids won't be up for that. Even still, legally at the bachelor level you still have to prove your German knowledge with a DsH certificate.

There are programs where English is a working language, but only at the Master and Doctorate levels.
>>
>>1067399
I'm going to be sending in my application very soon. I thought it would be best to ask questions before sending it off though, just in case. Plus it also helps to have other people's input and a second pair of eyes, might help prevent me from making a serious mistake.

Sorry if the questions seem beyond retarded, though.

I'm still in the process of learning German, and have no plans to stop any time soon. Thought it'd be pretty stupid to walk into a country without knowing a lick of it's native language.

In the course it also said that there's also mandatory German language classes included. Though, if the Uni of Freiburg isn't very...good, then maybe it would be best if I tried for another place.

I'm open to traveling anywhere in Europe, and I have family in Sweden. So, if anyone has any suggestions, schooling wise, then shoot.

>>1067397
Canada.
>>
>>1067407
You said Hamburg in your OP. Now you're saying Freiburg. Which is it, really?

I am Canadian, been in Germany for 6ish years.

Who are the family in Sweden, in-laws, cousins? Where in Canada are you from?

The problem with studying a bachelor in English in Germany is that a) they're rare so they will have tonnes of applications from third-worlders looking for an easy in. b) They accept some native anglos to add prestige to their programs, but c) you tend to be seen as a showpiece of free English practice. I promise you, no one in your program's setting will consistently speak to you in German.

What's the program(s) called?
>>
>>1067483
Freiburg. Sorry about the mistake on the op, I probably shouldn't have posted it before double checking.

My family is aunts. My mom was from Sweden but moved here when she was two, some of her family decided to move back.

I'm from Manitoba

The program is called: Liberal Arts and Sciences. The description in the overview reads pretty well, doesn't sound too bad. Though, who knows, it might read better than it actually is.

Would you happen to know if the program is any good?
Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.