[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Anyone ever buy a bike in Japan? Or rent one? I want to get one
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /trv/ - Travel

Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 1
File: Coffee.jpg (7 KB, 226x166) Image search: [Google]
Coffee.jpg
7 KB, 226x166
Anyone ever buy a bike in Japan? Or rent one? I want to get one and travel through about 8 towns/cities. I'd rather buy. Anyone know how to do this from the US?
>>
Motorcycle? Bicycle? Which is it?
>>
>>1066681
Rented one in Kyoto. Not as cheap as you'd think for Asia.

You will need a CC, Passport, International Permit.

What else do you want to know?
>>
>>1066681
I believe buying requires residency for registration purposes, so not possible for a tourist except on a working holiday.

Look on goobike and webike for listings. And if those websites are too Japanese for you, don't bother at all.

Also note that traffic is slow here and expressways are expensive and a pain. Expect to to lose the better part of 20000 yen if you decide to go through Shikoku, for example.
>>
As far as renting goes, Rental 819 is a national chain that can set up English speakers. A CB400 (solid bike, bad seat for touring though) will set you back 15000-18000 per day. A tourer will be more. You can contact them online. They need a credit card and will register its details to bill you for damage or speeding fines.
>>
>>1066711
>traffic is slow here and expressways are expensive and a pain.

True and true. What the hell is it with the Japanese and ridiculously low speed limits? Where I am, expressways are 80km per hour and perfectly decent national roads in the middle of nowhere are 50km per hour -- and there's always some hayseed asshole in his Suzuki econobox going 5km below the limit and refusing to pull aside to let people pass. Driving in Japan is not very much fun at all.
>>
>>1066735
It's the only Asian country safe to drive/ride in though. I dare say the Japanese authorities doing their job properly.

Excepting the driver-facing TV screens. Why?
>>
>>1066740
>I dare say the Japanese authorities doing their job properly.

It's safe, yes, but boring and frustrating. Oh, and a lot of people (where I live) run red lights all the time. But really the speed limits are ridiculous -- there's no reason why expressways shouldn't be 100km per hour -- and the only reason I think they're that way is so that the police have an easy funding source. Speeding tickets here can be hellishly expensive.

>Excepting the driver-facing TV screens

These are supposedly against the law, but I drive here a few times a week and see drivers watching TV on them all the time. The guys fucking around on their smart phones while driving are far worse, though.
>>
>>1066704
Bicycle

>>1066711
>>1066735
I may end up shipping mine over with me. I'm not sure how to get the bike to where I need to go though because I was told I can't take a bike on the train, or a bus, or anything really unless it is fully taken a part and bound together, which I may be able to do but my rear gear isn't very easy to deal with on a quick basis.

On another note, I was wondering what roads I can take if I can't take the highways/freeways? For example, riding through Tokyo. How can I do this? Do I need to stick to city streets or are there bike paths that run along the freeway for easy travel?

And do I need to pay tolls when I ride a bike? Or as that just for Karuma?
>>
>>1067032
>bicycle
The premise of this thread just got much more retarded.

Just walk in to a new or used bicycle shop when you get here. Why would you need to organise this from overseas?

You can't take bicycles on the expressways, but I don't recall seeing national roads prohibit cycling. (i.e. if you go on Google Maps and get a driving route with 'avoid tolls' enabled, you should be able to cycle the resulting route). Of course, I was more on the lookout for no motorcycle signs.

I recommend helmet-camming based on the stories I've heard about cyclists who get into accidents here.
Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.