[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Are some countries truly "happier" than others?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /trv/ - Travel

Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 2
File: happiness ranking by country.jpg (102 KB, 640x828) Image search: [Google]
happiness ranking by country.jpg
102 KB, 640x828
Will moving to a "happier" country actually make you feel happier?
>>
I don't know how reliable those lists are, but happiness is contagious. Avoid countries and cities where people don't smile back and looking happy makes people wonder what drugs you're on. It's depressing.
>>
First you have to identify the reason why you're unhappy. If you can't fix it at home and for some reason think you can do it abroad then moving might make you happier, otherwise I'd say it's about the same anywhere in the world.
>>
No you'll feel even more miserable since everyone else around you is happy but you aren't
>>
>>1066387
>>1066388

Not true
>>
>>1066387
I'm not unhappy. I'm just wondering whether it is true that some countries are "happier" than other (whatever that means).
>>
>>1066383
Never understood these ratings

The countries at the top have the highest usage of anit depressants
>>
>>1066727
That's probably it.
Utah valley has high usage of antidepressants as well and is called happy valley.
Never trust doped up Blondies. They're crazy.
>>
>>1066383
I heard that college is completely paid for, or that students actually get paid to go to college, in some Scandinavian/Nordic countries. This is part of why they're rated as highly happy so consistantly.

Having crushing debt until you die just because you wanted an education is in fact depressing. Especially with such unreasonable interest rates.

My quality of life would be SO much higher without all the insane student debt I have here in burgerland.
>>
>>1066741
Did you go to a private school? I went to a state school, got a good job and paid off my Bachelor's within one year.
>>
>>1066383

>happiness
>no buddhist country in the top 30

There is no objective way to measure happiness and self-reported data is the lowest quality you can get. Don't take these studies too seriously.

If you really want to be happy then start paying attention to what really makes you happy and go where you find that.
>>
>>1066757
>start paying attention to what really makes you happy and go where you find that.

Tfw Canadians can't move to the USA. I want to be a burger so badly.
>>
>>1066386
This.

Try going to Russia, jesus christ, what a bunch of miserable sots.
>>
>>1066741
Scandinavians still take student loans, since while going to university is free, living while going to university is not. In Norway you're going to be about $30 000 USD in debt after a 5-year degree.
>>
>>1066861
You are wrong. Becides my education being free, i receive about $1000 USD per month JUST FOR STUDYING. If you don't believe me, look up "The Danish students' Grants and Loans Scheme" That is more than enough, with my part-time job i can live nicely, go out every weekend, eat at restaurants etc.
Went to a high school in the US (GA) for a year. The youth in Denmark is sooo much better off, a lot of my friends had no income over there, which all my friends have here in some degree. The only reason you would take a student loan, would be to go on some huge trip for months, or for buying a car/motorcycle.
A lot of my friends told me how they couldn't go to university because of the tuition prices. Over here my friends complain about receiving a little less money for free each month, because they live at their parents place and have no major expenses to cover.
>>
>>1066861
Still cheaper than the U.S. Quit your bitching.
>>
>>1066386
Finn here. You're completely right. I'm fucking depressed all the time.
>>
>>1066870
That would make me happy.
>>
>>1066755
I went to the University of Minnesota, and then to a specialty school for advertising after that, which was another $20K. Ugh.

I was lucky enough to get a good job after that, but I'll be close to retirement before I pay these bastards off, which will be paying them off God knows how many times over when thinking of the absurd interest rates. One of my three loans is at 9.5%/ Loan sharks, mang.
>>
>>1066741
But the American government and tuition waivers pay for school and then some. I leave the country every summer with the extra money from two semesters.
Maybe you're just stupid.
>>
>>1066941
>Maybe you're just stupid.
Maybe you're comparing apples with oranges?
>>
File: sauna culture.jpg (72 KB, 1000x494) Image search: [Google]
sauna culture.jpg
72 KB, 1000x494
>>1066383

It may differ what u are looking for? Im from Finland. I can speak pro-finland especially about education and healthcare. This country also has a very beautiful and clean nature so i can proudly say I am very happy here.
>>
>>1066383
>Will moving to a "happier" country actually make you feel happier?
I never want to discourage someone from checking out other countries, whether as a visitor or an immigrant/expat (although here as everywhere it's worth remembering that moving countries legally is never effortless--you can't just show up and stay without visas, useful skills, jobs, etc.), but I sort of doubt it. Happiness at the country level is the product of a wide variety of cultural and social factors, augmented in some cases by state services, into which foreigners were not born and to which they may not have access. Happy Finns or whatever aren't just happy because they're in Finland, they're happy because they're Finns at home in Finland. An expatriate experience will necessarily be different in many ways.

All that said, try it and see. Maybe happiness is contagious.

>Personal aside about my life in a happier-ranked country
I found the general smiliness and surface happy relaxation of life in Thailand, where I lived as an expat for a long time, sometimes heartwarming but also sometimes infuriating, particularly the better I understood what was going on under the surface, where things are MUCH less cheerful and laid back than they appear. A woman a long time ago wrote a rosy romanticized account of her time as an expat in Thailand titled "Mai Pen Rai Means Never Mind," to which my expat friends and I appended the subtitle "And Sometimes Mai Pen Rai Means Fck You."
>>
>>1066962
Oh, and I guess on OP's specific chart, Thailand is far lower ranked than my home country. But it's a place with a high anecdotal reputation for happiness.
>>
>>1066773
You can go there for up to 6 consecutive months with a Canadian passport, which is the most generous

Under NAFTA (which sucks for other reasons, but whatevs), you can also work there if you have a certain type of job, although it does NOT count for any kind of permanent residency/citizeship credit, and no job = back to Canada.

6 months is more than enough time find a girl, and start dating. Marry her, and you're in.
>>
>>1066383
>Are some countries truly "happier" than others? Anonymous 01/06/16(Wed)20:52:12 No.106
A lot of "happy" countries are false happy and fear social shame if they don't smile i.e. Thailand...
>>
Japan is pretty miserable yeah
Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.