[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Alcan
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /trv/ - Travel

Thread replies: 3
Thread images: 1
Hey /trv/
Has anybody here drove along the Alaska Highway ?
If so, what were your budget ? Did you had trouble finding accommodations ? What did you do ?

Can you share your experience, I'm willing to make the drive this summer, from Vancouver to Fairbanks (probably)
>>
>>1065471
>>1065471
Get yourself a Milepost, even a used one on ebay or something and plan it out. There will be issues getting a room in some locations at some times of year.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Milepost
http://www.themilepost.com/
The digital version might not have the great photos and local ads that aid your ideas for stopping, such as for restaurants. The best part of the book is that it identifies mile by mile, what the heck you're looking at, every random homestead, fork in the road, statue, whatever! Great book, and thick as a phone book.

In my opinion, the best part of Alaska is Anchorage to Denali (to kantishna experience), and a little side trip on the scenic Glenn highway in the Mat-su valley. And, then Anchorage south the arm down to seward and over to Homer. Get out on the water at both end points there for great experiences The other "best part" is the maritime highway accessible stuff. And, Vancouver is of course worth a visit. So, most people visit AK 3x to see it all, or spend 2 weeks doing 1 and then the other part. You'd need a plane to visit the very remote stuff. Ferries are too expensive for tourists, more for moving your vehicle to your house once. The very common route is really just a "OMG I drove the whole thing" from the US to Alaska. It's not incredibly interesting, see above, it's just a means to an end. I'm not trying to be negative, but people fly instead, or pick up a cruise out of vancouver/seattle ports, because they know. Fairbanks is military/oil service people getting closer to their actual outposts. It's boring.
>>
>>1065474
Thank you very much for your answer, I wasn't aware of the milepost, this is indeed a great idea and it will help until the beginning of the trip.

I have to admit that I'm pretty sure the road is as you describe but I also have to say that it is what I'm looking for as well, in addition to sight seeing in between.

If I understand correctly I would be better off driving to fairbanks but not to stay there long and then to drive to the coast around anchorage, homer or valdez ? How is Seward ?

Cheers
Thread replies: 3
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.