[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Rundown of the major UK cities
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /trv/ - Travel

Thread replies: 106
Thread images: 9
File: uk.gif (23 KB, 345x339) Image search: [Google]
uk.gif
23 KB, 345x339
I'm a EU citizen and I'd like to move to the UK. I've lived in Edinburgh briefly and have visited Glasgow and London, but I don't want to limit my choice to just these cities. Could you guys give me a rundown of each major UK city? ie. London - crowded and expensive, great nightlife, hard to find a job, lots of immigrants etc. Of course if anybody wants to write more than just a sentence it'd appreciate it
>>
Personally I would move to a nice city like Bath or somewhere on the coast such as Bournemouth. It depends what your skill is, perhaps you need to be in a bustling city.
>>
>>1064242

My situation is:

I'm 20, turning 21 soon and I'm dropping out of university. I'm not exactly sure what I want to study, I like a lot of things but there's nothing I feel very sure about yet. So my plan is to just live and work in the UK (because it's good money and I like the UK) until I get an idea of what I want to do (or saving up enough money to start up my own business, something I'd like to do eventually). I might end up staying in the UK and just living there permanently.

I'd like it to be a city that has a lot of stuff going on and is quite cosmopolitan. London seems cool, but it seems like a tough city to live in without much experience and a proper job. I've worked construction, in a restaurant and a call center but it's just basic stuff.
>>
>>1064243

You have boring cities in the interior like Swindon, Reading, Basingstoke etc etc which are large commuter towns.

Then there's pleasant historical cathedral cities like Bath, Salisbury, York and so on.

Then on the south coast there's livelier places like Brighton & Bournemouth which may be more to your liking.

Personally I wouldn't go north of London due to the money and weather. Also in the south you're always close to London and transport options.
>>
>>1064248

Thanks.
What about the big cities? Birmingham, Liverpool, Manchester, etc.?
>>
File: DSC_8116.jpg (96 KB, 800x532) Image search: [Google]
DSC_8116.jpg
96 KB, 800x532
Liverpool - cheap, comfy as fuck, amazing waterfront, great nightlife, one of the whitest cities in the country.

The stereotype of it being grim and dodgy has been outdated for at least 10 years, a lot of things changed since then.

Manchester is not far behind but it's full of immigrants. Probably easier to get a job there as well.
>>
>>1064250

I've only been to Manchester once, the city centre is rejuvenated with some nice old architecture too, I'd assume Liverpool is similar. Also you have the Peak District nearby. Both the countryside and city is good for cyclists.
>>
>>1064243
> I don't have a post high-school education and have no skills.

Good luck getting a job beyond Barista.
>>
>>1064258

I've worked in a restaurant before in Edinburgh so I have UK experience. It's decent money so I wouldn't mind having such a job.
>>
>>1064250
Regarding the North, generally people are friendlier, and theres still plenty of job/ work opportunities regardless of what you'll hear from horror stories.

Manchester - good nightlife, student central and decent amount of work in the center. The outskirts of Manchester are the polar opposite, so avoid these. - I studied there for two years.

Leeds - vibrant night life, decent student population. again, plenty of job prospects but it depnds on what you want to do/ are looking at. similar story with theoutskirts but both have good travel links with the railways.

York - historical, night life is basically pubs and a few clubs. Plenty of tourist activities, but is quite expensive to live there, if you get a job in the city then your wages will match up.

have any questions, just ask. Lived here for 20+ years.
>>
>>1064593
How's Sheffield?
Is it easy to find a job there in the IT sector?
>>
File: o-THE-COTSWOLDS-facebook.jpg (510 KB, 1536x827) Image search: [Google]
o-THE-COTSWOLDS-facebook.jpg
510 KB, 1536x827
If I could live in any part of Britain, I'd live in the Cotswolds. It's this majestic English countryside area that looks like something out of a fantasy novel. It's in south central England in an area flanked by Birmingham, London, Southampton, and Bristol. It's not far from a lot of stuff either.
>>
>>1064606
sheffielder here

sheffield has high unemployment due to the steel industry closing down, so I wouldn't recommend it. Not sure about IT work because I dont work in that sector but I can't imagine it's very good.
>>
Hey, how was Edinburgh? I am really considering moving there want to have an idea of how its like to live there? Are there lots of jobs? Hows the nightlife and women?
>>
>>1064666
I personally would rather not live in Scotland. Scotland is the reason why all of the UK gets a bad rap for its food. Plus, the weather is a whole new definition of shitty. The big Scottish cities also have some of the worst crime in the country. England is a much better place to live than Scotland.
>>
>>1064665
>>1064606

sheffield I'm not sure of, but I currently work in IT sales in Leeds. depends what part of ICT I guess and a google of the major players based in the UK should give you some good indication of where to go.
>>
>>1064219
scotland: edinburgh; yes if youre middle class, glasgow if youre not, dundee if you quit

London: yes but if youre rich, manchester if youre fine with below 7/10 women, good contenders: bristol, bath, york

avoid: leeds, birmingham, newcastle

gay: brighton
>>
>>1064665
>>1064800
Thanks, m8s.
Sheffield seems really nice to me, but if the chances of getting a job there are pretty low I won't risk it.
>>
Thanks a lot everybody for the replies. Taking into account everything posted here, what would you guys recommend?
>>
>>1065858
Bath, it's small and beautiful, has good nightlife, and also is very close to Bristol, which has lots of jobs and culture but is much more hassle actually to live in. countless other amazing places on your doorstep too
>>
Southerner here (Brighton).

Where are you coming from OP? That is very integral to where you end up.

Also if you could share your ethnicity and any education/qualifications.
>>
>>1065884

I'm Polish/Canadian, but I have a Canadian accent so people can't tell I'm Polish unless I bring it up. Preferably I'd like to avoid contact with any Poles as I don't like the majority of them so it would be a plus if the city didn't have too many of them or at least they had their own area they usually keep to with their kielbasa stores. I enjoy meeting people of all cultures so it would also be cool if the city wasn't just 99% British people.

Basic education, I'm good with people and worked basic jobs like construction, call centers, in a restaurant.
>>
>>1065916

When you say /Canadian, I assume you're also a dual-citizen?

Regardless, I'd recommend staying South. People have mentioned Bath quite a lot but I felt it was as expensive and uppity as Oxford.

Southampton is a melting pot at the moment, which includes a lot of Eastern Europeans in that mix. Actually that's the case for a lot of the South-South-East coast.

Bournemouth, which I consider one of the best cities in England, is unfortunately quite expensive.

Cardiff is fantastic, you can get on well in South Wales, still close to Bristol but I've not a lot of experience there aside from the general reputation akin to Portsmouth.

The problem is nice places and jobs aren't synonymous these days. You're best off starting in a cheap city like previously mentioned. Stay away from London though.

You'd personally find a lot of your kin in Bognor Regis. In the last 10 years the numbers of slavs have sky rocketed in West Sussex, as well as the crime figures caused by them.

Make sure you line something more concrete up before you come.
>>
>>1065925

Is it that hard to find a job in some parts? I flew to Edinburgh this year with no job lined up and just handed out CVs, worked out fine for me. It's kinda hard to find a job prior to coming just through the internet.
>>
whaT about Bristol guise?
>>
>>1065602
Another Sheffielder here, actually the IT sector is up and coming here, lots of new office buildings specifically for IT jobs, a couple of friends just got jobs in the sector too. Plus there are many other benefits of Sheffield including how much cheaper it is than Manchester/Liverpool.
>>
>>1064219
i bet you do. fucking immigrants, when we vote no i cant wait to see you all deported
>>
>>1064243
please dont come we are full and fed up of foreign invaders. we won 2 world wars yet now the scum of europe can come in as they please.
>>
>>1064270
i bet you wouldnt doing a native out of work. with the new minimum living wage bollox we will have even more of you leeches coming in.
>>
>>1064856
newcastle is a great city. cold but big time bants
>>
>>1065925
slavs pouring in, when the eu ref occurs and no wins, they will finally all be booted out. no coincidence litter is reaching epidemic levels as these animals have no respect for their surroundings, chucking crap out, pissing in the street (when not even pissed) etc.

worst thing that happened to the uk was the collapse of the soviet union combined with eu expansion. all the slav scum free to pour in and ruin our country.
>>
>>1066580

I get there are a lot of shitty people coming in but not everyone is a bad immigrant. I really hope to add value to the UK and be a good citizen. I'm not going there just to earn some money and fuck off, I like the people there and would like to help the country grow.
>>
File: propaned.png (941 KB, 600x817) Image search: [Google]
propaned.png
941 KB, 600x817
guys, im canadian. landing in London in 2 weeks on a working holiday visa. experience in hospitality industry aka fucking useless.

are canadians welcome in the UK? we have the same queen on our currency, and my heritage is British.

or should i just fuck off and move to texas or something instead ?

help
>>
>>1066586
if your ethnic anglo saxon you are very welcome.
>>
>>1066583
we dont care, we are full already. sorry
>>
>>1066590

implying you can stop me
>>
>>1066602
yep we can.
>>
>>1066586
>or should i just fuck off and move to texas or something instead ?

I met a Canadian girl working in a Subway in a shitty town. Middlefuck nowhere, the place where no one internationally visits and stays.

Used to pop in there every so often whilst at shitty college, she was always there.

It just stuck with me. The fact that someone from North America would come to an insignificant shit hole to make subs. It's a depressing thought.

She made terribly uneven and sloppy sub by the way.
>>
File: Eurohungry.png (77 KB, 871x541) Image search: [Google]
Eurohungry.png
77 KB, 871x541
>>1066603
not until he gets hes citizenship, sorry.
>>
>>1064219
Bristol is a fab place to live, green capital, festivals, fairly sunny, easy to get to Cornwall and London, accent is okay, mostly middle class, near the sea + harbour... Seriously where else can you engage in a 600 person waterfight in the city center? Just give it a Google, I miss Bristol.
I've also lived in Liverpool which is wonderful if you're not going to step out of the center at any time, and the weather is a bit shit. It's been developed loads and is so cheap though
It's mostly uni kids as well. Currently living in London and it's shit, a city of people just waiting for their lives to begin.
>>
>>1066675
london shit...kek
>>
>>1066654
?
>>
>>1066589

I am in fact ethnically anglo saxon. Thanks man.

>>1066606

Working in fast food is not what I meant by "hospitality industry". Still, I get what you are saying nonetheless. I did a working holiday in 2014 in Gold Coast, Australia, working as a food and bevy server and fucking loved it. Hoping for the same in the UK (high hopes kek)
If she made an uneven sloppy sub, she was probably from manitoba. fucking manitoba
>>
>>1066675
This.

You've made me miss Bristol, Anon. You've made me sad.
>>
>>1066675
And there's weed everywhere. And everyone makes home made cider. And the people are super friendly!
>>
>>1066899
>>1066589
the whole anglo saxon ethnicity is real outdated trash boys
>>
Brummie here, don't visit unless you want to go shopping in the Bullring. Literally the only real attraction
>>
>>1066586
Is there anywhere where Canadians aren't welcome?

You'll be fine kid! Enjoy your stay in Blighty!
>>
>>1067484

Thanks brother, land in London a week from today. Can't wait !
>>
>>1064593

Is this poster still here
>>
>>1066558
Thanks, mate!
>>
Leeds checking in.

Great city, friendly people, great countryside close by, cheap to live, jobs, great nightlife...

Bit chilly but get a coat I and you'll be fine, and once they take the roadworks off the M1 you can get south very easily.
>>
>>1064250
I guess i'm a bit late with this, but unless you have a specific reason to want to visit Birmingham I would steer well clear. It's cheap but it's full of Pakistanis and Somalians, the city is filthy, and the people are unfriendly and unhappy because they are swarmed by immigrants.

Best place to visit in England is without a doubt Cornwall. Great scenery, beer and relaxed atmosphere. You'll probably need to rent a car though.
>>
>>1071904

No job prospects in Cornwall. It's great to grow up there but once you want to go anywhere or do anything besides hit the beach it's sub ideal.

That being said, best beer in the country.
>>
Opinions on Bristol?
>>
>>1072660
Probbaly your best option.

It really is that good, its got history, culture, an amazing music and night scene, only a few hours out of London, its across the bridge from Cardiff.

Only downside to Bristol is no good sports, if you're into that sort of thing.
>>
>>1070446
Sums it up, quite a nice place.
>>
>>1072717
>Only downside to Bristol is no good sports
So Bristol City FC is only good as a source of rhyming slang?
>>
You have to make a choice whether you want to live in a large or medium city.

Large cities - London, Manchester, Liverpool -

Advantages; Shit loads to do, great transport links.

Disadvantages; Huge, marginally expensive if you don't find the right job.

Medium - Bath, York, Brighton, Bournemouth. -

Advantages; Lovely places to live if you find the right spot. No better place to be on a summers day.

Disadvantages; Reduced transport links. Less prospects.
>>
>>1073580
Update: Leeds - Great if you're young and into drugs. Sheffield - A shit Leeds. Cardiff - Rather remote from major cities. Edinburgh - Brilliant city but very remote. Birmingham - Full of immigrants, avoid at all cost. Newcastle - Remote.

Honestly, I'd get some skills down wherever you are now, even if it's just 6 months working in a specific sector of IT. Wandering into even a small city will be daunting with no qualifications. You're the lowest of the low. You never want to be the lowest of the low.
>>
>>1073582

I'd dispute "Edinburgh - very remote". Remote from England? Sure. But Scotland's biggest city, Glasgow, which has a character and energy and intensity all of its own is only a short train or coach or bus ride away. You can easily live in one and work in the other - the two cities are so different from each other that they compliment each other very well.
>>
>>1073582

Would it be enough that I have some restaurant or customer service experience?
>>
>>1074721

I'd like to add that I have a Canadian accent, my buddy said that it would help me a lot in getting a job such as a waiter or a bartender, is this true?
>>
File: british snow.jpg (769 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
british snow.jpg
769 KB, 1920x1080
Off-topic, but brit here. Girlfriend is Canadian. How do I get her to stay here permanently? What's the best plan to go for with visas?
>>
>>1065925

>Southampton is a melting pot at the moment, which includes a lot of Eastern Europeans in that mix.

Fucking Polish are everywhere here. The Muslims are worse though.
>>
>>1064219
>I'm a EU citizen
Yes, but are you white? Because then I could help you.
>>
>>1074804
>>>/pol/
>>
Not OP but which city in England and also the UK has the least muslims?
>>
>>1074857

As a proportion of the total city population, or in pure numeric terms?

Also, you need to define what you mean by "city". An instinctive guess would be either Sheffield, Liverpool or Edinburgh, though.
>>
>>1074724
Might well do - Canadians are highly thought of. I know several who've worked in public service roles (or in tourist attractions).
>>
>>1074907
Aim for Wales or the North East of England.

http://www.mcb.org.uk/wp-content/uploads/2015/02/MCBCensusReport_2015.pdf
>>
>>1065916
If you are Canadian citizen then why don't you just move to Canada? I mean seriously bro? Much better climate, economy, funner cities. Just a much nicer place, with less social tensions than the UK. What is that appeals to you about the UK?

I am from Glasgow, but haven't travelled around much in the UK desu so I might not be of much use to you. There are quite a lot of Poles in Glasgow, which seems quite common for most major cities in the UK from what I hear. Strangely enough you'll notice quite a few Scots have Polish surnames, as their grandparents moved here after WW2.

In terms of jobs you'll be able to find some kind of no skill work in a restaurant or whatever pretty easily in Glasgow City Centre. Lots of places opening up and literally everyone who works in them as waiters or bar staff is from somewhere in the EU. High turnover of staff as well. Lots of call centre jobs as well, again very shitty jobs with low pay. I have done quite a few of these jobs and worked with some Canadians in them so probably won't make a difference your accent. Basically its easy to find low paid low skill work in Glasgow, much harder to find anything better.

Canadians are pretty welcome here, we kinda see them as long lost cousins due to the Scottish influence on Canada.

In terms of living costs, if you want to rent a flat to yourself it will be pricy. If you want to share a flat it will still be pretty costly, but not too bad. Expect to be able to save some money if you share a flat and work 40 hours a week, even if its in a shitty restaurant job, and you keep your living costs to a minimum.
>>
>>1074772
>tfw I was in the same situation as you a few weeks ago but Canadian oneitis ended it
>>
File: Night in Cardiff, UK.jpg (95 KB, 634x443) Image search: [Google]
Night in Cardiff, UK.jpg
95 KB, 634x443
Cardiff is best :-D
>>
>>1066574
>we won

Toppest of keks
>>
I knoe Dublin is big and famous for beer and whatever, but i'm not a really bic on drinking. Looks like a pretty plain city with not much to do there.

Would it be better for me to spebd that time and money in Edinburgh/Glasgow?

Going to sound a little pretentious maybe, but i want to see the most unique beautiful places. I have a bunch of places on my bucket list around the world, but only limited time and money. For the UK, while there are many great locations, the best appear to be London and Edinburgh, with Glasgow a short ride away.

Any input?
Bath seems to be hugwly popular, but i've had enough of public baths in japan and it seems average through a computer screen. Maybe its intranationally popular, but for an onternational tourist coming a long way not so much?
>>
>>1075008
Bath has stunning Georgian architecture (so do Edinburgh and Cheltenham) and a beautiful natural setting (so does Edinburgh). Really the buildings and the cityscape and the relaxed (and it must be said slightly self-satisfied atmosphere) are more key to making Bath what it is today than the baths. Not least as the Old Roman Baths are now just a tourist attraction, not used as baths, and the two places that are used as baths are modern, extraordinarily expensive and, well, a but of a let down. I like the place a lot, but that is as much for what is nearby (in the Cotswolds or Somerset) as for the city itself. If you need big city things, yes, Bristol is very nearby. But is really a medium sized country town with a long history and lots of students in, rather than a city as such
>>
>>1074772
Mawwiage.
>>
>>1075239
Aside from that
>>
Nottingham has really good nightlife, as a student originally from the Isle of Wight there's not much more I can tell you about it
>>
>>1074936

I'm poor so it will be a piece of cake to save up money. I've become a master of being frugal.

Why not Canada?

I think Canada is nice if you're 30 and want to settle down, otherwise if you're young and adventurous the UK and Europe seems like the place to be. Besides being a 20 pound plane ride away from everywhere in Europe. The idea of all these different cultures being so close is amazing.

Even if you're not into travelling (ironic posting this on /trv/) I feel like the lifestyle is better. Canada like the US seems a lot more capitalistic and consumer oriented, people just work work work and buy all this garbage they don't need like the newest iPhone or whatever. I lived in Toronto and you'd think in the biggest city in Canada you'd have amazing nightlife, but alcohol stops being sold at bars at 2am (what the fuck) and getting home without a cab or uber is near impossible, the last subways on even the weekend stop running early and the night buses run so rarely it's a nightmare to get back home.
>>
>>1075240
Chains
>>
File: 1428962420992.jpg (113 KB, 1273x922) Image search: [Google]
1428962420992.jpg
113 KB, 1273x922
>tfw live in manchester
>can see 3 mosques alone from my window
>plans to make a 4th
>it will block the view of the beautiful catholic church

please send help
>>
I am from Newcastle originally, its a decent city - extremely good night life and a pretty compact city centre.

Brighton is also good, lots of pubs, don't really rate the beach or pier much but the pubs make up for it.

I live in Cambridge now. Its nice if history and culture are your sort of thing. It isn't huge, but does get a heavy tourist presence during the summer months. Extremely romantic place to take a girl if you have a lady friend.
>>
>>1064252
Liverpool might be white but they got too many Irish.
>>
>>1074955
I've vomited in that very same spot I shit you not.
>>
>>1066586
Everyone thinks my accent is Canadian (suppressed Boston accent). The worst trouble I've had is with people not believing that I voluntarily moved here. Absolutely no problems here on the North.
>>
From Nottingham, probably the most things to do in all the Midlands, lots of sports, great night life, there are jobs, great transport links in a central location.

There are a few good cities to live in; London and Birmingham are not two of them.

Newcastle is cool, but cold. Leeds and Bristol are good cities too.
>>
>>1074909
Move to Wales/North-East England.

Get flooded.
>>
I've heard many mixed opinions about London - could someone elaborate a bit more on the ups and downs of London?
>>
>>1076002
+ Lots to do
+ Lots of jobs.

- Overcrowded
- Jobs are mostly shit and don't pay enough to live there comfortably
- Multicultural mess
- Housing is shit unless you're rich
- Highest crime rate.
>>
>>1076014

Biggest plus : so so much to do in work and leisure

Biggest minus: the outrageous and ever-growing cost of living there
>>
>>1064242
bournemouthfag here
if you wanna move here now is a good time, our football team getting into the premiership has brought a lot of money in, i reckon bournemouth is only gonna get better in the next few years, we might finally get official city status

theres some really nice stuff here if you know where to look, chaplins in boscombe apparently got voted the best bar in the country a couple years running, and we're right next to the new forest if you like nature and shit
>>
>>1076002
honestly its not worth it, london is one of the least pleasant places to live in the world, everything is overpriced, and everyone who makes it interesting is moving out because of the obscene rent prices
>>
>>1064242
Bournemouth is good for beaches and normalfag nightlife. Otherwise it's like God's waiting room and expensive as fuck to live there.(lived there 18 years)

Bath is amazing if you like architecture/history/little bit more luxurious lifestyle but even more expensive than Bournemouth
>>
>>1075565
Different person, and a bit late.

I'm heading to the UK this summer and am extremely interested in Roman history. Obviously, Hadrian's Wall, which I understand runs to Newcastle, would be a great stop for me on my way around the country.

My questions are:
>Is Hadrian's Wall accessible without a car from Newcastle?
>Can I use the city as a base to explore the Wall, perhaps by public transport or something?
> Is there anything else exceedingly interesting in the area that might be missed by a non-native?

Questions go out to anybody with info. ty in advance
>>
>>1075992
Better than getting flooded by a tidal wave of pakis
>>
>>1076858

Not the same guy but I'm from Newcastle. For exploring the wall without the car, it can be an okay base depending on what you want to do. If you want to hike and camp out, you can certainly get the train out to the country side and walk around a bit, although I'm not too sure the best place to get the train to, but a quick google will sort you out.

In Newcastle you can visit a lovely little shit hole called Wallsend, which would you believe, is called that because it's where the wall ends. Here's a website for the museum with a lot of cool stuff to look at about the wall being built, and a bunch of other Roman history.
https://segedunumromanfort.org.uk/

If you do come to Newcastle, I recommend going to Tynemouth and seeing the castle there, as well as the castle in the city centre.

I hope this helps friend, let me know need a little more info.
>>
>>1064666
I've just moved from Edinburgh, spent the last 3 or 4 years there. I fucking hated it, but most people I knew liked it. It was too cold, the people were cunts and it was just generally a shit place to live.

I'm spending sometime in Cardiff at the moment, and OP might want to look into that.
>>
Going to London, what's a cool neighborhood to stay in? Went there last year and stayed around Southwark I think. It was pretty cool but I want to stay somewhere else since it's such a big city, was there for four days and felt like I barely saw anything.

I have to go by the Hammersmith area I guess and also the city for work and don't want to travel for more than an hour in the morning so I'm not late. Planning on 3 nights there I think.

What's a good place for a trip for a night or two or maybe just a daytrip that I wouldn't have to travel unreasonably far to? Leeds sounds great but seems so far. Is Oxford cool as a tourist? Also thinking of going to Windsor castle any experiences?

Sorry for so many questions, but hey I saw the thread.
>>
>>1076921
Extremely helpful. Thank you. I was completely oblivious to the castle and St. Nicholas Cathedral, so I'll definitely have to check that out.

Now that it looks like I'll be visiting, do you have any overall tips for Newcastle? I've only taken a train through the city, so I don't really know anything about it.
>>
Would people think that Manchester is a nice city or does it feel very provincial? I'd be moving there for a year of my postgrad studies, from Berlin, Germany. Could also go to London but money is an issue.
>>
File: JS52546957.jpg (54 KB, 615x409) Image search: [Google]
JS52546957.jpg
54 KB, 615x409
>>1077134

No worries. Sure, you'll definitely have to go to the quayside where the millennium bridge is, it's a great walk and on the other side of the river you have the Baltic museum, where you can take an elevator to a great little balcony for free which looks out over the full quayside.

If you do go to Segedunum museum in Wallsend, you can get the 22 bus or metro (recommended) from the city centre, they stop at pretty much the same place, which is a two minute walk to the museum. However, the rest of Wallsend is shit, really a lower class area.

There's a huge drinking culture in Newcastle, people come from all over the country to have a night out here, so it gets especially busy on friday and Saturday nights, but it's probably worth a shot if you meet a good group of people, just stay away from the gate and the big market (apart from our German style Bier Keller that's there, a lot of dancing on the tables with steins is always good fun).

We have a ton of pubs and a few good museums laying around. If you like awesome paintings, go to the Laing Art Gallery. The Hancock museum also has a good section on Handrian's Wall and life when the Roman's were beating our shit. Do yourself a favour and have a walk around the city, it's tiny but cosy, and afterwards pop to Lady Greys (best on a weekday afternoon) and get a pint there, I recommend Ouseburn Porter, and ask for it in a tankard glass. You can also go to the Botonist and sit in a beer garden over looking Grey's monument and further down, Grey street which was voted the finest street in Britain at one point.

If you're here on a Sunday and everyone is wearing a black and white striped shirt, that's because there's a football match on. Our local team is Newcastle United and we're shit. Everyone hates Sunderland for some reason too.

Some cool places outside of the city are Morpeth, Durham, and if you can be arsed, Kielder.

>pic related: Lady Grey's
>>
Any opinions on Coventry?
>>
>>1076858

I think the other Geordiefag answered your questions well.

>tfw the wall runs directly past my parent's house

I wouldn't go to the botanist though unless you want to wait 45 minutes for a £10 glass of ice served by butthurt university students.

A cool place to go to also is Linidsfarne.

It is an island around an hour's drive from Newcastle. I am not sure if buses go there, but it is only accessible when the tide is low because the road gets submerged by the sea.

It was the place the Viking age started by them invading and sacking the priory there. Also the home of the Venerable Bede who wrote the first English language history of Britain (Ecclesiatical History of the English People, 8th Century).

Near there is Bamburgh castle, which was the seat of the Kingdom of Northumbria. Alnwick is also close by, which has an epic castle and was used for exterior shots for Hogwarts in Harry Potter films.
>>
>>1077276
Violent and ugly, almost all of its history destroyed in the war, and the subsequent rebuilding was really probably the worst in the UK. People always seem angry there. it's not a nice place.
Thread replies: 106
Thread images: 9

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.