[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Travel Plans for summer
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /trv/ - Travel

Thread replies: 6
Thread images: 3
File: walking_the_dirty_30.jpg (29 KB, 400x300) Image search: [Google]
walking_the_dirty_30.jpg
29 KB, 400x300
Hey /trv/ currently making travel plans for summer and could use a bit of help. Don't really have the money to travel overseas this year so I decided to stay in Europe. To make things even cheaper, I figured I'd like to try some long distance walking, for 2-3 weeks maybe 4 if I can stretch it at work. Ideally I'd go in July and/or August after my college exams.

I already had the G20 in Corsica in mind but when I realized that it's mostly just walking through mountainous regions, I kind of didn't like the idea that much. Another thing I was considering is at least parts of the Lycian Way in southern Turkey since that seems to be pretty nice especially walking close to the ocean with really nice, hot weather. Or maybe even go old school and do the Santiago?

Anybody ever done and long distance walking courses in Europe and could recommend some/share experiences/tips? Thanks!
>>
>>1064210
If you're already an experienced hiker you can go anywhere. Just saying this because when I started out travelling I had this long europe track planned out, but when it hit the fan, I couldn't stand to the hike with my overweight backpack.
Went hitchhiking after a week on foot. Now I go everywhere hitchhiking.
>>
File: delete.jpg (126 KB, 960x720) Image search: [Google]
delete.jpg
126 KB, 960x720
Sounds like you've got an awesome summer planned.
The G20 is my dream; what's wrong with mountains? You want more culture, evenings in pubs, that sort of thing?
I guess I can't recommend anything specific. I've attempted several of the GR trails in southern Europe but they were all so badly marked, it made life hell. And a lot of it was just walking along farm roads and 4x4 tracks, which isn't always nice. Whoever's in charge of the GR trails needs to get their shit together.
The only exception was the GR11 which runs along the Spanish side of the Pyrenees, which I really enjoyed. I walked from near Girona to Andorra. The mountains will kick your ass if you're not experienced, but the trail also goes through a lot of towns. Catalonian villages are so goddamn cool, and Andorra is fun.
>>
File: delete.jpg (70 KB, 960x720) Image search: [Google]
delete.jpg
70 KB, 960x720
>>1064529
>>1064529 (You)
Another pic from the GR11. Also, there are some great distance hikes in Scotland, but they won't take you more than 2 weeks. Maybe spend one week in Scotland (the West Highland Way takes about six days) then fly somewhere else for a 2 week hike.

As a final suggestion, Morocco is way better than Europe for distance hiking. There are no marked trails, but you can follow donkey paths between villages for weeks, and never have to worry about food or water. You don't even need to carry a tent in the summer; just stay in someone's house if the weather looks bad. Early summer is a good time to go.
>>
>>1064523
well I'm not really experienced, but I walk a lot everywhere, but usually only within cities so I thought it would be a good idea to do some designated walking paths
>>1064529
>>1064533
>You want more culture, evenings in pubs, that sort of thing?
no, but I imagined mountains to be relatively cold. I kind of prefer temperatures at 25+°C so I'm not sure if I can find temperatures like these in the mountains.
>I've attempted several of the GR trails in southern Europe but they were all so badly marked, it made life hell. And a lot of it was just walking along farm roads and 4x4 tracks, which isn't always nice
that does actually sound kind of nice to me, which ones did you do exactly?
>Morocco is way better than Europe for distance hiking
huh always wanted to go to Morocco but I never really considered long distance walking there, thanks for the tip! Any specific region(s) you would recommend there?
>>
bumperino
Thread replies: 6
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.