[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Realistic Expecations
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /trv/ - Travel

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1
File: bc-11.jpg (114 KB, 800x554) Image search: [Google]
bc-11.jpg
114 KB, 800x554
I only travelled once to the developing world (Morocco) and I never wanted to do it again (and I was a fan of moroccan-themed bars), so propaganda like pic related bother me to no end yet my gf eats every bit of it and is always trying to convince me to prepare something for both of us in some "exotic" country.

So I'd like to ask you guys which developing countries are actually not overrated and fetishized. I always hear how India is disgusting and how Thailand is only good for the beach and sex tourism if you're into it. Is South/Southeast Asia overrated ? What about other muslim countries like Lebanon and Tunisia ? Are they on the same level as morroco ?
>>
>>1063419
Been to Morocco and Tunisia for quite some times.

Honestly, Morocco is better for culture than Tunisia, unless you want to see some dunes or local roman ruins (which can be found in Morocco too, but I just didn't see them there)

Tunisia is on the Mediterranean, so water is better there if you enjoy seebathing.

Lebanon seems like a cool place, haven't been there though. Keep in mind that it's not muslim like Tunisia/Morocco, as there's a large group of christians
>>
>>1063419
Travel is overrated, Anon. Stay home
>>
>>1063419
These sort of promos are targeting people who travel for a week or two per year and spend $5-10,000 on that week. They get the stereotypical "riding the elephant" Thailand experience or "camel ride and turban tying" India or "swimming with the dolphins Cuba" kinda deal.

Since they don't know any better they think this is something the locals do as well. People are very naive. I was recently sitting next to a couple on the plane who were talking about their travel plans which included going to Asia and the girl kept saying how her dream was to ride an elephant there.

I don't think there are many folks who are into that sort of travel here.
>>
>>1063435

Lebanon does sound like a good place, I imagine it must be more similar to Turkey.

I remember that Morocco was insufferable because of the people there, they wouldn't leave you alone. I've been postponing Egypt for a long time because I heard it's even worse. I like moroccan culture but I can't stand the people.

>>1063485
No need to be cynical anon, I just don't want to fall for scams and exaggerations.

>>1063486
The problem I see with it is that it's that those people make some pretty inflamed reviews and you don't know what kind of traveler he is.

For example the idea I get from Tunisia is that it's nice because it's sunny and has good resorts, not because it's a interesting country, yet many people would say it's amazing just because the resort is good. If I want a resort I'll stick to Southern Europe desu.
>>
>>1063501
>many people would say it's amazing just because the resort is good

This is literally 99% of all reviews of Mexico. I have met at least 100 people from my city who have gone to Mexico and I'm the only one so far who has backpacked around the country and not just stayed in a resort. This is why you have to search for reviews on different type of sites, like lonely planet, or even the leddit travel boards where you're more likely to meet people who genuinely travel and not just go for resort tourism.
>>
Kind of related, is there a place to get real photos of places? Google just shows these doctored up advertisement pictures to show to idiots
>>
>>1063582
Uh, Google earth?
>>
>>1063598
No
>>
>>1063486
People are dumb if they think the locals are regularly riding around on elephants, but I don't think theres anything wrong with doing the touristy shit. Riding an elephant sounds fun
>>
>>1063545

Reddit is also a lot like this. How many times do I see descriptions of "amazing journeys" to countries that have nothing like Kazahkstan. They make it sound like Kazahkstan is amazing while the truth is they just had fun because adventures are fun regardless where they happen.
>>
Let me guess, OP, you spent three days in Marrakech during which your girlfriend got groped, paid $300 for a carpet, paid $300 for two nights at Erg Chebbi, and got the shits on the flight home? If you'd spoken to a single Moroccan person who was unaffiliated with the tourism industry, you wouldn't have written this post. If you go anywhere on earth expecting to see your OP pic, you're going to be disappointed because, guess what, your eyeballs don't apply filters to everything you see.
Plus let me tell you something about Morocco, anyone who thinks he's seen it all is wrong, and you don't seem like you've seen much of anything.
Morocco isn't overrated, you just live in a fantasy land where shit doesn't stink and camel caravans still exist.
>>
>>1063733

t. Muhammad
Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.