[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Guys I need some advice and I just get shit on in /int/. I'm
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /trv/ - Travel

Thread replies: 6
Thread images: 1
File: 1463175571045.jpg (17 KB, 480x360) Image search: [Google]
1463175571045.jpg
17 KB, 480x360
Guys I need some advice and I just get shit on in /int/.
I'm thinking of transferring from my PhD program to another overseas. The countries I'm interested in (largely due to a high HDI and good research/science dev.) are:
Norway, Japan, Australia, South Korea.
Does anyone have experiences, pros/cons of living there as an English speaker (I would of course learn the language over time) but this is a 6-7 year commitment to finish my degree.
>>
>>1119246
I assume you're from the USA? I can give advice on Australia; it won't be 6-7 years, they will want you done in 4. The PhD programs don't have the same amount of coursework or exams as the North American system because the bachelor degrees are more concentrated. You obviously need to study up more on the differences in the programs. You can get a medium term residence permit once you graduate, that's one reason why Australia is so popular with international students, but investment in science is very patchy and it really depends upon the government of the day; there has been a lot of inconsistency in the last five years. Right now the focus is to commercialize research. You should also think about the international recognition of your degree and for that you would want to focus on the 'Group of 8' universities, which also have the most $ available for scholarships - though beware that student funding is not nearly as common for grad studies in AU as in the US. You'll be looking at about 20k USD a year in fees (depending on what the AUD) is doing.
>>
>>1119246
If you want to learn the language well, then don't do an asian country unless you plan on working as hard on that as you will your PhD.
>>
>>1119246
>6-7 additional years to finish PhD
>basing decision on experience living there rather than getting adequate funding/the right supervisor
>asking /trv/

Bro you are setting yourself up so hard for being one of those 45 year olds who gets to the end of his final post-doc contract @ 40k a year and then begins working at a grocery store when he can't get into industry.

Seriously re-evaluate your educational choices if that's what you're basing the decision on and you think it's gonna take up to 8 years to get your degree.
>>
>>1119246
PhD's are 1-3 years of work, and ideally you stay on with another 2-3 of fellowship with the same PI if it's an outstanding program.
You don't "transfer" anything in a PhD program. There are no reciprocal arrangements. WTF, is your bachelors even done yet? I bet it isn't. I'm sure you're a second tier lazy student, probably with some undiagnosed addiction and/or personality disorder. Get your shit together. Finish your education where it will benefit your future most.
/thread
>>
>>1120407
Sounds like your projecting honestly.
Thread replies: 6
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.