[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Anyone else here feel /jaded/?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /trv/ - Travel

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 2
File: received_986723501348398.jpg (51 KB, 576x960) Image search: [Google]
received_986723501348398.jpg
51 KB, 576x960
I've been traveling for the past 2 and a half years and I just don't feel up for it anymore. Does anyone else feel this way? Maybe too much of a good thing? I used to feel excited getting on a bus/train/plane to a new place but now I just feel like I'm wasting time and money. I've been working in Australia the past 5 months and booked my flight back to the states for late January. Has anyone else felt this way but continued to travel after some time back home? I feel like I'm just getting old and tired. Pic is unrelated but it's Ned Kelly's armor and thought it was pretty neat.
>>
>>1062977
Travelling is primarily a hedonistic endeavor, no different to any other. It's shallow and vapid and after the thrill is gone, you are left mostly empty.

I mean I love travel, I really do. I went to Japan and Taiwan this year and planning South America next year. But people who travel as a 'lifestyle' have be the most uninteresting, pretentious sods you can meet. Usually they have a chip on their shoulder about high school, or their hometown or something. People think because they work an entry level hospitality job in Siem Reap instead of Bumfuck, Kansas it makes them interesting.

But hey brah, I'm just ranting. Maybe you are just tired and maybe I'm full of shit.
>>
>>1062977
It's like when Forrest Gump stopped running. You stopped running. You are tired You can go home now.
>>
>>1063002
Lol not op but I'd like to think I'm not uninteresting.

OP, the first time it hit me, I booked a ticket home. I realized I wasn't homesick - I just needed to be in one place for long enough.

I have a friend who's been traveling for about 10 years and she's close to tapping out because she's tired of doing it alone.

I was lucky enough to have a girlfriend who traveled with me this year (broke up, though)... But this is my 4th year of lifestyle traveling and I see myself wanting a more permanent base after this last run. I still want to travel but I want to take shorter trips and have hobbies again.

I guess it also depends where your heads at. I left home unhappy and now I'm not. I still love to travel though and I think a lot of people come back to the same problems they had "back home". I don't get excited being lost anymore though. I'm pretty over 2 day boat rides and long bus/plane rides.

If you don't have decent job prospects back home, I'd recommend making as much money as you can in Oz. It helps to have hobbies but stick it out if you can can because it's a magical country. Then go home and see how you feel but at least you'll have some money in case you need to take off again (might have to wait for the AUD$ to go back up again though)
>>
File: 2EU7rGFb.jpg (20 KB, 160x160) Image search: [Google]
2EU7rGFb.jpg
20 KB, 160x160
I've felt those feels before, OP, but I hit crisis mode a couple weeks ago.
>be me, compulsive traveler, always out for more excitement
>Spend months planning epic Trans-African voyage, talk about nothing else all summer
>Arrive in Rabat, Morocco
>Spend three days obtaining visas for Mauritania, Mali, Senegal
>Have sand goggles, three weeks' worth of beef jerkey, and an address in Burkina Faso where I can buy a cheap motorcycle
>Pumped up for the greatest journey of my life.
24 hours later I'm on the phone with my girlfriend explaining that I will not be going to Senegal, or Mali, or anywhere. I don't even want to be in morocco (I've gone there every year since 2009)
>72 hours later I am camping in southern Spain, crying into my campfire
>One week later I am in London, sleeping on a friend's sofa and spending every day loitering in museums, lingering in front of Orientalist paintings and hating myself
>Six weeks later and I am literally living homeless in England, sleeping in gas stations or hedges, eating garbage, just waiting for the date of my original return flight and trying to find some kind of justification for the mess I'm in
>I challenge you to find a more fucked up vacation story
I honestly have no explanation why I didn't go, but I'm sure the "I'm wasting time and money" argument crept in there somewhere. The last entry in my journal for morocco is some whining about being "literally unable" to endure a 36 hour bus ride and a three-page "fuck you" letter addressed to the people of Morocco. my skin crawls with regret when I imagine the adventures I was so close to having -- exploring the Dogon Cliffs and riding a motorbike along the Niger. but now I'm doomed by student loans, and personal factors, to have effectively zero freedom for years to come.
I fucked up and I don't even know how or why. I really fucking wish I could be as jaded as you are.
>>
>>1063082
jesus christ, Anon.
>>
>>1063082
I hope you upload your 3 page "Fuck you letter" to Morocco online. If not for this thread, for some future group of internet strangers.
>>
>>1063082
don't look back mate, fuck it. fuck everything and everyone. do not let that shit make you unhappy. you are young, you are going to have more opportunities and one day in the future you are going to look back and laugh
>>
>>1063082
I cancelled a trip recently too, a wild one to Thailand and I had no idea why I did it. Something just made me cancel.

I'm never going to do that again.
>>
>>1063151
You made a thread about it, right? I think I remember you.

>>1063118
Thanks for the nice words, brother. I'm generally the 'don't look back' type, but in this case I had the visas, I had the vaccinations, the maps, the phrasebooks, the bus ticket...staring down the highway I looked the thousand-mile voyage between the eyes, it looked into mine, and I was found wanting.
>>
>>1063002
> hospitality job in siem reap

So fucking accurate and funny. Last time I was in Phnom Penh there were a couple french bartenders in a club that just knew they were the shit. I didn't ever travel to seem more interesting but definitely had a big chip on my shoulder when I started. Pretty accurate post.
Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.