[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
So I'm a Californian. I have never been abroad but I feel
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /trv/ - Travel

Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 1
File: 1450660337410.png (492 KB, 1000x488) Image search: [Google]
1450660337410.png
492 KB, 1000x488
So I'm a Californian. I have never been abroad but I feel like I have a need to travel somewhere.
The problem is I know no languages other than english and I'll be traveling alone as all of my friends have jobs that don't allow them extra time or money.
So I don't know where to go.
My question is what would be a good destination for me to begin?
>>
what do you like? cities? towns? wilderness? food? beaches? what time of year will you be going? what is your budget? how long? are there any cultures you're interested in? how far do you want to push your comfort level? give us a little fucking help here.

>only speak english
not a problem. i only speak english and have been all over. most of the time you can find someone who speaks enough. plus learn "yes", "no" and "thank you" in whatever language and that will get you miles of goodwill.
>>
>>1062661
>>1062661
I like cities and Wilderness. Budget would probably cap at 3k a week although I wouldnt really want to maintain that for more than 3-4 months. I good mix of expensive and cheap would be ideal.
My comfort level needs to be pushed, that's kind of the point although I wouldn't want to go somewhere that I could easily get lost or robbed.
Anytime of year really.
>>
>>1062669
>budget 3k/week
>3-4 months

you really have $40,000 to drop, or do you suck at math and budget planning?
>>
>>1062671
I could spend 40k
>>
>>1062678
Berlin. They all speak english and are very nice, you can take the train everywhere, and there is good beer.
>>
>>1062669
>cities and Wilderness

Easy, go to South Wales and the West of England. Base yourself in Cardiff and you have Cardiff (awesome city, make sure you do the tour of the castle it is the closest you'll get to something like the Doges Palace in Venice while still in the UK and also visit Cardiff Bay and the Dr Who experience if you like Dr Who), the Brecon Becons national park is an hour or so outside of Cardiff on the bus (google that, and waterfalls and langorse lake and you'll be a very happy chap if you like wilderness, hiking and breathtaking scenery).

A short train jouney (less than an hour) into england will take you to Bristol (worth a visit if you like banksy stuff, pirates and ships) and Bath. Bath has the best preserved Roman baths in the whole world fed by a still working volcanic hotspring and also some great and distinctive georgan architecture, if you are a lady, are taking a lady with you or are a "sensitive" sort of chap there are a lot of Jane Austin related things to see in Bath too.

While you're in the UK you'll want to visit London for a while too I would expect and that has good transport links to Cardiff as well if you want to go there for a while (megabus for cheep coach or train if you are feeling rich and want to get there fast, book a few weeks early if you can for the best deals on both).

A £3000 a week budget is very generous outside of London and your main expense will likely be accommodation, in London hostels like Clink if you want to sleep (the one by kings cross had pod style beds when I was there last which was very welcome) or the generator if you want to party all night are recommended.

You can get just about anywhere in Europe from London as well, should a short trip to Amsterdam or Paris tickle your fancy. Most speak at least some English there, but it is polite to ask them if they speak any English in their own language first and apologise for not knowing their language, so learn those phrases before you go there.
Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.