[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why do most ESL teachers only teach abroad for a year?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /trv/ - Travel

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1
Is it because they can't get used to the local culture? People say that the pay is not that good, but surely it is better than working in retail/fast food restaurants in the west? Don't most ESL schools pay for your accomodation and flight tickets?
>>
>>1062533
Think of it as a paid vacation and not an occupation. Except in rare instances it is not a job to build a life out of. Further the longer you do it, the further back in your career path you'll be left.
>>
>>1062564
>Except in rare instances it is not a job to build a life out of
Is it true that you only save very little money each month? What about teachong at an actual primary school/kindergarten?
And surely teaching ESL abraod is better than, ugh, retail and catering in the west?
>>
>>1062533
Because most people view it as a gap year gig which is really what it should be.

>>1062572
>Is it true that you only save very little money each month?

It depends on the country and job. Teaching in public schools in Korea is a very good deal. Or at least it used to be. The government cut the public school program back drastically but I believe jobs are still available in elementary schools. I saved about 10,000 dollars during my year in Korea. You get a free apartment and don't pay your water bill. In addition to a pension refund and severance bonus upon completion of your contract.

Most ESL jobs work out to about $15 USD and hour which is better than retail unless you live in like Australia or something.
>>
>>1062572
>And surely teaching ESL abraod is better than, ugh, retail and catering in the west?

Its just as dead end but you get slightly more money and its fun enough that you don't realize that its nearly equivalent. If you go in with a plan to get out it is totally worth it, but if you studied something worthless and use it as a fun job until you figure out what you really want to do you just end up 45 with half the salary of an in demand recent graduate, with just enough money to pay your bills and drink on the weekend.
>>
>>1062572
Emphasis on paid vacation. If you're single and not going out you can easily save money, as most legit jobs provide housing or a housing stipend, and a return ticket home. Pay is not bad. Basically just above entry level pay for whatever country you are in, but most people have no long term interest in staying in that country, and pay can be small compared to Western salaries, with the exception of Middle East, Korea, and Japan. And even Korea had cheap shitty schools you need to avoid. Also, being a paid vacation, ESL teachers are often going out far more often than they would in their home country. Lastly most ESL teachers have no real interest in teaching, back to paid vacation again. So it does nothing to advance their real career interest. If you legit want to be a teacher there is easy progression and advancement in ESL despite some posters (who have no interest in teaching) keep saying there's not. But they never are able to elaborate how the advancement is any different than teaching in the West. Fact is advancementioned is faster, which is why I see so many teachers from the West going abroad to teach these days.
>>
>>1062574
>>1062575
Do you look at teaching as a dead end job, in general? Not sure if you realize most international schools require at least two years experience, and in addition, though not always required, ESL is looked at highly favorable, as English will not be the first language of most your students. So if teaching is your legit interest/career path then ESL makes you highly remarkable. As been stated, though, most ESL teachers, at least on this board, don't have an interest in teaching. It's just a way to finance living abroad
>>
>>1062578
>Do you look at teaching as a dead end job, in general?

Teaching as state certified teacher at school like in your home country isn't.

9/10 ESL is, the other 1/10 generally are people with a combination of a masters degree and knowing the right people after years of doing it.
>>
>>1062586
ESL is a path to being a certified teacher in a foreign country. I don't get the concept of just because you start in a crap shady hole in the wall ESL outfit that's where you stay. There are plenty of legit foreign teaching jobs, of which ESL is the best point of entry
>>
>>1062598
>ESL is a path to being a certified teacher in a foreign country

Haha, no it isn't wtf.
>>
>>1062600
>>1062586
You are thinking of crap fly by night "all you need to be is white and have an internet certificate" ESL operations.

Doing legit ESL is absolutely a path. At many international schools having ESL is a requirement. Look at jobs on ESL websites they aren't all English teacher, but they want you to have ESL. There are people on this board who have gone from ESL to international schools. One teacher at an international school in Qatar told me the most important thing to have is an ESL cert. The question I had asked her was it better to have teaching certification in the USA or England for teaching. She said whatever country you are credentialed in doesn't matter, but having ESL is most important. Of course you are going to need teaching credentials as well, but that's a given. And can be got while doing ESL, if you already have your bachelor's degree in another field.

And have you not seen the demand for teacher's in developing countries?
Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.