[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How's becoming a flight attendant if I want to travel? Are
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /trv/ - Travel

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1
File: obed1.jpg (45 KB, 587x408) Image search: [Google]
obed1.jpg
45 KB, 587x408
How's becoming a flight attendant if I want to travel? Are you allowed and do you ever have time to see whatever city/country you arrive in? How are the discounts?
>>
Anyone?
>>
>>1061781
look at the FAQ on the careers page of the airline you want to work for...
>>
>>1061749
>How's becoming a flight attendant if I want to travel?
Pick an airline that goes places you wish to go, or start with some commuter stuff. Realize the biggest airlines will have seniority (years of service) as the reason for the most desired flights such as trans-atlantic, and their promotions. Make yourself the most congenial person you can think of...get some CPR/first aid certs, and any career where you work with wealthy people in a service role. Degrees and other languages would be a good idea too. Have perfect teeth/cleanest cut of appearances, and look healthy and attractive. Think actor-wannabe looks.
>Are you allowed and do you ever have time to see whatever city/country you arrive in?
Pilots have sleep requirements, and turn-around rules, so there could be some dead-heading and other reasons that give you more time off in a destination before the return flight, but it's not always the case. You might have 2 hours in an airport lounge to put your feet up, and then back home for dinner, or you might have a hotel room which you'll share with another crew member.
What does it get you? Dinner and nice evening walk to explore. You will go multiple times to the same cities and little by little get a little of the culture covered. Crew takes advantage of equipment delays and other reasons to get a little more sightseeing in. Taking a taxi at night, going down to the wharf, hitting a club or simply staying at the nicest hotel in town (typical believe it or not in some cities because pilots need more pampering), or the closest airport hotel such as a hampton inn with great shuttle service. Because of the sleep reqs, you have to be careful about late nights, you're on the clock.
>How are the discounts?
Used to be better. Now it's buddy passes, and full flights that make them hard to use. Having a nephew, or retired grandparent use one, or come to stay open-ended is the great benefit. Plans that can be last minute or bump-ups to First.
>>
>>1061749
Protip: don't
Become a Gate Agent or Ramp/Baggage Agent. If you have a college degree apply for a desk job for whatever airline. All of these are a million times less stressful than being a flight attendant plus you get the same benefits. IIRC it's extremely hard to actually get the job unless you have years of customer service experience. If you can't get hired by a major airline, you can try a smaller regional airline and layover in wonderful places like North Dakota or Nebraska (assuming you're a burger).
>>
>>1061823
Somewhat true, somewhat false. Flight attendant job satisfaction is pretty high, and in recent years gate agents are one step above minimum wage after the living wage airport pay has been met for local ordinance. Airlines are cheapasses in recent years.
The buddy passes are soooo hard to use no matter the airline. For people who work the 9 to 5 jobs, there's precious little time to travel and get back for work nowadays.
Now if I was going to recommend different airline positions, mechanics can get some specific tech school training and get great union pay. Pilots are in a shortage situation and it's growing, if you can finance the education and hours til commercial, you can get hired on (at little pay) for a few years and work up towards it all. Tons more time off and travel. And, the future looks good for it.
>>
>>1061831
Not him but I thought I saw somewhere that becoming an airline pilot was a truly miserable experience.
>>
>>1061851
>I saw somewhere that becoming an airline pilot was a truly miserable experience.
I've mostly heard that as well, although I've also heard they have lots of sex.
>>
>male flight attendant
Do your parents know that you're gay?
>>
Unless you're a specialized tradesman like a mechanic, a pilot or an executive, general airline work sucks. Its low paying and usually morale is shit. Most people do it as a second job for the flying perks. I worked for Air Canada and they stopped the flight pass privelige years ago because their retarded employees abused it. Now an emp can only fly standby, which can be kinda shit. I dont know if other carriers are the same. If you're in your early 20's, go for it.
>>
>>1061851
>Not him but I thought I saw somewhere that becoming an airline pilot was a truly miserable experience.
Not sure what you mean.
Drone pilots must be FAA licensed pilots, and consequently, they are in high demand in every sense, from police depts to military (and eventually amazon!!). But, shortages mean long hours. The air traffic control position is also high skill, high stress, and poor job satisfaction. It's video games with real implications.
http://www.bizjournals.com/washington/blog/fedbiz_daily/2014/04/want-to-be-a-drone-pilot-because-it-sounds-pretty.html

Entry level pilot work isn't miserable at all, but you might do a roommate situation or have less than exec level sleeping conditions as you hope to get hired one day by the big boys. That will come sooner rather than later, of course, because yea demand. If you are american, british, and nothing weird, your chances are great to advance fast. To guarantee placement, you want to be ex-military, and you want to have graduated from a serious pilot school. The wannabes who have issues getting placement didn't pay their dues and picked it up too late in life. Asia doesn't care, but do you want to fly with them? Likely not.
Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.