[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What's your experience with airbnb, /trv/? Any success or
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /trv/ - Travel

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 1
File: airbnb_logo_detail.png (54 KB, 1388x518) Image search: [Google]
airbnb_logo_detail.png
54 KB, 1388x518
What's your experience with airbnb, /trv/? Any success or horror stories?

I'm thinking of using them when I go to the states this summer. I'm also considering renting out my own apartment while I'm gone, could earn up some money of the trip.
>>
>>1061129
if you're going to rent out your apartment, be very careful to screen the renters. I've had multiple bad experiences with renters (including family) that ended up costing me more money in repairs and cleanup costs then I made in rent. Basically you want to make sure that if they damage your place or property that you will have viable recourse against them. Its one thing to have a piece of paper that says they owe you "X" amount of money, but its an entirely different matter to actually GET "X" amount of money. Especially if they don't have "X" amount of money and their crap isn't worth selling. My latest experience was almost exactly that. After back rent and (mostly) damages an evicted renter owed me close to 25,000 USD. But the lawyer pointed out that the only thing I would do by taking her to court was spend another several thousand in lawyer fees and win the satisfaction of a judgement...in other words...I would never see the money.

Just some friendly advice anon. Good luck.
>>
>>1061159

I could just take renters that already have a good rep, right?

What kind of viable recourse are there to get? I could take a deposit, but damages could get way higher than that. Are there any insurances that could cover that?
>>
>>1061129
Used it once over a holiday, renting family was super chill, because the grill that was coming to stay with me was there 2 days earlier, and they were going out of town, she just straight up left me the key and told me to come whenever since she wouldn't be around.
Left their number if I needed assistance they had someone in the neighborhood who would lend a hand and they'd pay him later.
As for renting my own place, never tried it. Proceed with caution, as the other anon said damages can be painful to try to get restitution for. And if you're going away for when you're renting, you better have someone reliable in the area in case your renters need assistance.
>>
Bumping this for some more opinions
>>
I am a host and I really like it, no big problems so far, just a missing towel and a broken glass stove top (which was compensated for). It's great to meet so many people from the world, it helped me improve my social skills and also widen my coin collection kek
>>
>>1061129
Used bnb to book a villa in thailand. Absolutely fantastic experience, the host was always available and ready to help out with any questions about the accommodation and the country itself.

I would recommend using it but make sure the host has a few reviews as its always a good assurance
>>
>>1062052
>>1062076

I wouldn't start with any reviews myself if I wanted to hire out my place. If reviews are required for people to want to live there, how will I ever get started?
>>
>>1062096
Robust description, lots of pictures. As soon as you start getting favorable reviews from at least one person, confidence shoots up.
>>
>>1062096
This
>>1062099
Honestly you might not get many punters unless your place is great or in a convenient/ attractive location.

If not you'll have to make it attractive by reducing the price or something until you get a few good reviews under your belt.

Also make sure the potential guests are fully verified with bnb with atleast 2 verifications, and ask for a copy of thier passports once they arrive
>>
>>1062105

What's the verification process, and why a copy of their passports? For identification purposes in case they bail on you?
>>
>>1062108
The verification processes is handled by bnb. Verifications are basically I.d that's been uploaded to bnb for example

Phone number
Passport no.
Email
Photo etc

Each I.d upload counts as one verification so the more verification a user has the better.
>>
Me and 3 mates booked an airbnb house for a week in Pula (Croatia) last year, it was great. Owner was very friendly and helpful, giving us some nice drinks and tips for what to visit, best cafes, bike rentals etc., never bothered us during the week we were there. Everything was in order & clean and we obviously cleaned up after ourselves so there were no issues whatsoever.

One thing I've noticed is lots of airbnb ads will list the maximum available sleeping spaces but not actual beds. E.g. it may say "5 beds" but what it actually means is 3 single beds and a large couch you can turn into a double bed. It's really not a problem because if you want super comfort just go to a hotel, just warning you that if you go with a certain group size, look for airbnb ads of at least that size but possibly 1 or 2 more. Try to get a place where you can verify in the pictures if there are actually as many sleeping spaces as the ad claims.
>>
My very first airbnb experience was by far the most terrifying.
I was staying in a basement of a commercial building in Munich run by a bunch of Russians. they had built bunkrooms out of plywood and filled them with discount mattresses. Worst part was that I was the only person staying there... After waking up with all of my organs, every airbnb I've stayed in since has been way less sketchy, and the hosts can be either fun or boring.
>>
>>1062154
Sounds like you have only yourself to blame. They have pictures and reviews for this very reason anon
>>
>>1062198
It was Oktoberfest, not exactly easy/affordable to find places to stay in Munich. Which is why the fact that I was the only person staying here was all the more sketchy... BRB, counting my organs again
Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.