[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I've been many places, but now my feet are sore. I'd
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /trv/ - Travel

Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 1
File: relaxing-on-beach.jpg (82 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
relaxing-on-beach.jpg
82 KB, 640x480
I've been many places, but now my feet are sore. I'd like to go some place and stay for a while. I hoping to get residency somewhere, and I'm hoping it helps that I have a PhD. It is from a fairly good school, but not in an area with high demand (psychology). I know generally the regular immigration laws of countries and which are easier, but would anyone know of countries where my PhD might help me get in?
>>
>>1060987
>but would anyone know of countries where my PhD might help me get in?
Most countries care more about where you are from now as your citizenship, more than anything else. As a well-traveled person, it's surprising to me you don't know that already.
>>
>>1061122
Getting a tourist visa and getting permanent residency are not the same thing at all. I know Canada and the UK use a point based system and having a PhD gets you a lot of points.

But I'm finding it hard to search, so I was wondering if /trv/ knew of other countries where a PhD helped immigrate?
>>
>>1061182
I think you're looking at it wrong. I think you need to find the reason to go to a country first, then go to that country. The reason is going to be that there was some sort of fellowship that you applied for from your hom e country. I live in Thailand and my doctor here has had fellowships in both Germany and the US.

Thus find fellowship and then follow your dreams.
>>
>>1061182
>But I'm finding it hard to search, so I was wondering if /trv/ knew of other countries where a PhD helped immigrate?
Countries care more where you are FROM, so state that here first. Where is your current citizenship, and where is your PhD actually from? And, what type of psychology?
>>
>>1062429
Well, I don't much care which country (as long as it doesn't have malaria or other crazy parasites I guess. I can visit those places, but they freak me out too much to live there.) I've tried to get fellowships, but without success. I know if I got one, I'd get a visa. I just don't expect anyone will be hiring me.

>>1062431
I'm from the US. My social psychology PhD is also from the US, Arizona State University. Which definitely isn't top 10 in the world, more like the top couple hundred.
>>
>>1060987
you have a phd in psychology and you are asking for advice on a Cambodian-beer-loving-ant-breeders board?
>>
>>1063121
I liked cambodia (but not enough to live there.) And ants. And /trv/. It is a chill board. Not sure where I should ask. If /biz/ was all they wished they were, I suppose they'd know about second passports.
>>
>>1060987
Dude psych isn't high demand but most people have a BA. Even less have a Masters. As long as you didn't write your thesis on something completely useless, you can be used somewhere in the world
>>
>>1063595
You'd think I could get a job but I don't know where. My dissertation was on stereotyping and prejudice... which is why I fit in so well on 4chan!
>>
>>1060987
Have you thought about New Zealand?

Cunts are real fucked here and theres a big need for psychologists... Not sure what you would be practicing in with your PHD but I know that psychological services are in demand

Check on here http://skillshortages.immigration.govt.nz/

That said NZ is a shitty place to live for travelling because its in buttfuck nowhere and getting anywhere is a total pain in the ass.
>>
>>1064400
I had not looked at NZ. However I'm not a clinical psychologist; I don't really know anything about medicine. But looks like NZ does have a point based system, so a PhD helps.

So far then, I've found point systems for Australia, Canada, Denmark, Germany, UK, New Zealand, maybe Hong Kong.
>>
What's your home country, lad?
>>
>>1065034
I'm from the US. (See >>1063089) Which is fine.

But one reason I have to move to another country, it is probably the only way I'll ever really learn another language. However everyone in Copenhagen spoke better English than me. So from the list so far, >>1065006, it looks like I'd probably have to live in (east?) Germany.
>>
>PhD
>in psychology
>from Arizona State University

Why would you do that to yourself?
>>
>>1065599
I was interested and you get paid to do a PhD in sciences. That was the school where I got accepted. Turns out it is a crazy party school and hot undergrads took to me well. So you know, it wasn't all that bad really.
>>
>>1065695
>psychology
>science

>justifying important "career"/life decisions based on the availability of pussy

Wow friend I sure am jealous of those hot undergrads at Arizona State
>>
>>1065710
Goodness Mr. Judgy, I wasn't trying to justify it. It is just a notably good of that school, hotties and warm winters.

I wouldn't recommend any PhD as a career path. The system is messed up in all fields. But I've never been one to try to have a career and I don't expect that to change in any country.

Anyway this is /trv/ not /sci/, so I also don't have to justify the meme-ness of my field. It paid, and you get a month around Christmas and summers off to travel. What more do you need to know.
>>
>>1065723
Yeah I've got one more itching question

Why are you such a naive childish pathetic loser?

Single parent household growing up?
>>
>>1065725

Not OP but I'm curious as to why you feel the need to be so contemptuous with him?
>>
>>1065734
Because he's quite obviously a complete manchild who should be scolded.

Did you even read his posts?
>>
>>1065736
Indeed, what is bothering you? Going wherever interests me at the time, without much plan for the future? I'm not entirely sure why anyone else should be put out because I 'won't face the real world and keep my nose to the grindstone.' It bothered my grandfather too.

After I spend a few years in, say Germany, long enough to get citizenship, maybe I'll base myself out of there or maybe I'll just keep wandering. How's that strike you, >>1065725?
(I'm still interested in other options for citizenship, just to stay on topic.)
Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.