[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
East Coast road trip
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /trv/ - Travel

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 2
File: USA4.jpg (394 KB, 1174x1760) Image search: [Google]
USA4.jpg
394 KB, 1174x1760
Allright yanks. Gonna take my first trip to the states next spring w/ my gf. Gonna stay in NYC for a week or so, then spend 1 or 1,5 weeks on the road and fly back to the old continent from Miami. Around 3 weeks long trip.

What do you recommend for the road trip? What should we see? What should we avoid? Best cities? Sports to see (baseball)? etc. etc.

I read that is wise to take a train from NYC to Philadelphia and rent the car there (cheaper and easier traffic). Is this true?

We're planning on taking a short one or two-day hike at some of the national parks, would be nice to get some tips for that too... I actually only have two must see places besides NYC; Washington D.C. and Kennedy space centre (also extremely into fighter jets, because autism).

God bless you all.
>>
>also extremely into fighter jets
You've probably already had this in mind but
USS Intrepid
and try visiting the many decommissioned/reserve supercarriers in dock along the coast.
Can't go on obviously, but just seeing them is amazing.
>>
>>1060742

Thanks for the tip! Where can I find out which carriers are in dock and where/when?
>>
>>1060739
>Washington D.C. and Kennedy space centre (also extremely into fighter jets, because autism).
Well, make sure while in D.C. you do both air and space museums. The original is on the Mall with the other smithsonians, but the newer one is near Dulles airport (and a little trek to get to) and still I hear only 5-10% of the total smithsonian hangar'd plane collection is on display given space limitations. Udvar Havy has alllll the famous cool planes, from enola gay to ginormous test planes and such. It was promoted/financed/created by all the world's big collectors, such that these things could get shown.

For other fighter jet stuff, it's off your intended Florida itinerary, but a Air Force town of Eglin AFB, with nearby Destin, Seaside, Fort Walton, Panama City. This is the "top gun" I believe.
http://www.afarmamentmuseum.com/exhibits.html
>>
>>1060739
>Gonna stay in NYC for a week or so
I'd give it 3-4 days tops and then gtfo of there, esp if you are worried about your budget. Pack it the activities/sights/shows/food/museums (unless you are staying with friends or something for free). NYC can cost you $500/day to do it right :(

Besides, I think you need more than 1.5 weeks to drive the whole Atlantic seaboard and stop at your leisure. Jacksonville to Miami is a solid 7-9 hours with a single pee break, and you'll want a little time at about 4-5 stops from St. Augustine to Cocoa Beach to Ft. Lauderdale, to Miami. Before that I'd totally stop in Savannah, maybe even detour a bit in Virginia to do the outerbanks (wright bros stuff), and some of that tidewater colonial historical things, as well as what you wish to do in Norfolk. Not sure where you're from as to what interests you might have throughout.
>>
>>1060773
The carriers that are open to the public are always docked because they are no longer in service. They are permanent floating museums.
>>
>>1060775
The Udvar Hazy center is 100% worth it, especially if you're into fighters. I think they have at least one on display from each major conflict the US was involved in, plus tons of other planes and the Space Shuttle.
>>
File: image.jpg (21 KB, 303x227) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
21 KB, 303x227
>>1060773
Just to warn you, the intrepid is tiny because it's from ww2, and you're not going to see a bunch of fully functioning F22 raptors and SU37s. More like a dilapidated F4 phantom, an A6, and some other junk. There's a blackbird now, a space shuttle, and a concorde, and I think an F16 or a Kfir or something along those lines, but that's about as modern as it gets.

Also, please look both ways before crossing the bike path, sometimes people dart across without looking (usually while hiding in the bushes so no one can see them until a split second before collision). Preferably you should use the crosswalk.
>>
Thanks for the tips! Is anyone into hiking and stuff like that? I would like to get some tips for that as well. For example, I've read that Shenandoah national park is pretty awesome; is this true?

>>1060777
>Not sure where you're from as to what interests you might have throughout.

Right. We're from Finland. Interests include hiking in the fjelds, sauna, good food, wine & beer etc. etc... pretty basic stuff. I'm into sports quite a bit (a big soccer and hockey fan) and it would be nice to see a game somewhere. Maybe even baseball, I believe the season is at its best at the time?

We're not at all interested in places that are solely built for tourists and entertainment, for example Atlantic City would be a nightmare for us. Small towns, a lot of nature, real places with real people, motels and diners. That's the America we're looking for.
>>
>>1061000
>hiking in the fjelds, sauna, good food, wine & beer etc. etc
DC is a foodie paradise. Skyline Drive is a popular day trip from DC and just past that Udvar museum, and can be combined in a day trip.

I'm going to throw out Hot Springs and Warm Springs, VA. Stay in a little B&B, hike and enjoy the springs. Schedule a massage and like a brunch meal at the Omni Homestead (no need to stay there). Good hiking nearby.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jefferson_Pools
>>
If you are driving, after a few days in DC, definitely travel the Shenandoah Parkway and Blue Ridge Parkway. Give yourself 2 or 3 days. There is amazing hiking and the road trip is one of my personal worlds favorite. There is no commercial traffic allowed and it travels the spine of the Appalachians.
Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.