[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Do you come from a well traveled family or do you find yourself
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /trv/ - Travel

Thread replies: 53
Thread images: 2
File: tpicturet.jpg (49 KB, 606x359) Image search: [Google]
tpicturet.jpg
49 KB, 606x359
Do you come from a well traveled family or do you find yourself at odds with your relatives over this?

Much of my family has never left the state and seems to think it is a waste of time and inherently dangerous regardless of the destination (how do airplanes work?). How do you reconcile this?
>>
>>1060546

My family travels but not extensively or adventurously. The only time my dad has ever left the country was for his honeymoon and he doesn't seem too interested in going abroad otherwise. My mom has been a few more places with my step-dad, albeit only in Europe. The same is true of my grandparents, who occasionally go on cruises or small trips with friends around Italy, Germany, France, and so forth. I was never taken overseas growing up, and my parents wouldn't pay for tuition, let alone trips.

When I graduated high school and started working over the summer before my first semester of college, I realized that I could save money and start going places by myself. One of my best friends is a Georgian Turk and suggested that I go to Istanbul, given the low cost of airfare. I didn't know much about Istanbul or Turkey, but I decided it'd be a good starting place to branch off into Europe, the Middle-East, and India.

I ended up having an incredible time and have taken a few long trips since.

My grandparents and dad weren't initially supportive of what I was doing, from a practical sense. My grandma tried to convince me to put it all off until after graduating, saying I should be vacationing in Florida instead of Turkey.

But I did what I wanted and continued to do so on subsequent trips. I was a little shit in 2013 and called my grandparents up from Iraq to tell them where I was. I think they calmed down afterward and realized that if I didn't get murdered there, I probably wasn't going to elsewhere.

Now they just kind of accept it and act interested in what I'm doing.
>>
My grandfather on my fathers side spent the first 14 years of his life in India. My grandfather on my mothers side was In India during WW2 and many years living in Israel once retired. (both white British Christians)

I have extended family living in Vancouver, Copenhagen and parts of New Zealand

My dad has lived in Saudi Arabia and Dubai for work and travelled extensively around Europe. He used to Hitch-hike France/Spain in his early 20's.
>>
No one in my family has ever backpacked around the world the way I do. My mother only ever took guided bus trips and now with my dad vacations to warmer countries. My dad is actually in a way well traveled because he used to work on fishing ships and would be flown all over the world to go on his ships. However he never really did much traveling except for 2 month-long trips once to Asia (Bali, Phuket, Borocay only) and to South America (Rio, Sao Paulo and Buenos Aires).

My grandparents never traveled, unless you count Nazis transporting them to work on their farms in Germany as travel. My aunts and uncles didn't travel, except one aunt who was a whore and got to go to the Alps to fuck old guys. My cousins for the most part have very different priorities in life.

At 25 I was probably already most traveled in my family and now in my late 20s I'm by far most traveled although my dad has been to more countries because of his work.
>>
I honestly don't think about it. I have family that have never left their town, much less their state. I have family that have traveled around the world multiple times and they are the ones I follow after. I think it's something you have to decide for yourself. Which would you rather do, grow roots or grow calluses?
>>
>>1060546
Yeah, travel has massive within my family
>Various members of my family either lived in India or Hong Kong, or moved between them and London before those countries were granted independence.
>Standard once yearly OS holidays for my mother's family when she was young
>Great-Uncle lived overseas for a few years and has a seemingly endless list of contacts for me to pull favours from
>Mother, Aunt and Uncle all spent at least a year traveling either before or after uni. All three have fucking crazy stories from their trips, from riding with Mongolian herders for months to illegally sneaking across Middle-Eastern borders
>Growing up hearing my mother and her school friends swapping stories of their time in India (mostly Kashmir) and SE Asia was probably what inspired me to see as much of the world as possible.
>I grew up jumping between Sydney and London because my mother's and father's family live on opposite side of the planet.
>Great-Uncle wrote me the check that paid for my gap year.
>Uncle now married to a Spaniard so they spend probably 30% of the year in Barcelona, and are overseas twice a year to Cuba, S America etc
>Aunt + her husband always flying off to national parks or wilderness around the world.
>Grandparents still traveling regularly despite being old and full of replaced joints, spent a month of last year traveling through Alaska.
>>
My grandfather was flying around the world regularly before the jet age
My parents were born in different countries and my father worked for a multinational so I lived in a lot of countries as a kid, besides time spent living with family here and there
Travel is just a normal part of life for us, my parent's generation went to school in like 6 different countries and it's weird to imagine people who are not poor yet choose to stay in the same place forever
I think a lot of the smug douchy attitudes we see here on /trv/ are from people who came from sedentary backgrounds and feel they need to rebel. It's not a true appreciation of travel, it's more like the false intellectualism of a butthurt militant atheist from some flyover conservative religious place. Hence why no one has any sense of humor on this board. It's a an affectation meant to prove something to someone. Travel as a fashion.
>>
>>1060668
>Hence why no one has any sense of humor on this board.

I get what you're saying, but do you really want /trv/ to end up like /int/ or fuck...../b/?

I don't know about that man, doesn't seem like a good idea.
>>
>>1060668
You sound smug as fuck in that post.
>>
>>1060668
This is the only post with a smug douchy attitude I've ever seen on /trv/
>>
>>1060670
You say "end up" like it's some sanctuary of purity. It was better before all these self appointed mods came around screaming about /int/ every time someone says something that doesn't agree with their idea of why people should travel
>>
>>1060677
>whore mongering
>muh drugs

They're pretty open-minded, These are the only two issues the mods remove for and I think that's pretty reasonable.
>>
>>1060668
You some kind of entitled prick who thinks just because grandpa traveled you are the only one here who deserves to? Fuck you and your high horse.

It really doesn't matter if my family doesn't travel. I don't do it to show off and my family doesn't say anything negative about it except my mom worrying that I'll be murdered somewhere.
>>
>>1060546
Neither. My family encourages me and my siblings to travel, nonetheless. I think most parents like their kids to experience the world on their own. Its like, "Hey, we raised a decent human who has no problem functioning in society."
>>
>>1060546
To answer your questions, it depends on the following:

How old are you?
What's your destination?
What state are you from?
Have your parents cut out travel due to monetary reasons or something else?

Just trying to gain perspective, because a family from Alaska or Hawaii with a teenage son and tight finances might need to keep to a budget, and that 'totally awesome' trip to Vegas is a little much.

Not saying that's the case at all. Just trying to get perspective.
>>
>>1060668
Your attitude is shit for this board.
>>
>>1060585
>Which would you rather do, grow roots or grow calluses?

I don't know if you came up with that quote, but thank you for it either way.
>>
>>1060700
>you are the only one here who deserves to
Where did you even get that from, lol

You can travel for whatever reasons you want, just remember that, just as other people were living in, visiting, and having opinions about your favorite super seekrit vacation spot before you "discovered" it, in the same way people have been traveling since the first humans, and travel doesn't mean the same thing to everyone else as it does to you.

It is telling how many of you think of travel as some kind of soul-purifying ritual. It means you're mostly that flyover stereotype, trying to escape the "sheeple" or whatever, your parents who don't understand you or your friends who just want to play xbox and work dead end jobs. Which is why you guys get butthurt that taboos have been broken when someone has the wrong feelings or attitudes about an airplane ride or a particular geographic location or whatever. It's like someone inadvertently insulted your first girlfriend with whom you're still delusionally in love.
>>
>>1060668

> It's not a true appreciation of travel

Realtraveller©
>>
>>1060779

The amount of projecting you are doing right now is disturbing.
>>
>>1060793
>everyone is just like me
There you go again
>>
My parents were never big on traveling abroad. I'm not sure why, my guess is money and the fact that nobody in our family really wanted to go visit other countries that badly. As a result, I never really left Finland until I was 19, and even after that it took three years for my first "proper" trip which was a two week road trip across Europe
>>
My grandfather was a (Swedish) sailor, worked on ships between Sweden and America, and later between Miami and the Caribbean, often stopping in Cuba and Guyana. He knocked up a girl in port in Halifax (Canada), and married her, then settled down. Moved around Canada for work during the 1930s depression, and eventually settled down. My dad has been around Canada and to the US several times, but he's never been on a plane and never been further south than Virginia. Neither of my parents are big on travelling, really. My dad is interested in travel shows and other cultures to an accent, just not visiting them. We went camping in the summer when I was a kid, in the woods up north, nothing too exotic. My mom's mom is 93 and travelled a lot in her 60s, 70s and up till her 80s, much of the time by herself. Her last international trip was to Serbia when she was 85, with my aunt though, to visit my cousin who was (back then) a doctor specialized in amputations/prosthesis... My grandma still drives herself to my various aunts and uncles for overnight trips, and is in pretty good health, but I think she figures she's too old to get on a plane now.

>>1060579
>However he never really did much traveling except for 2 month-long trips once to Asia (Bali, Phuket, Borocay only) and to South America (Rio, Sao Paulo and Buenos Aires).
How many whores do you think he banged and got blowjobs from while he was there? And do you think your mom knows?
>>
>>1060680
I've been here a long time, 6ish years, and hooker and drug threads have always been common. There has always been some resistance by more straight-laced /trv/lers, but they are not forbidden topics. I think they (and other threads) are only deleted when they descend into troll-a-thons, or when they're truly idiotic levels of the same old completely unresearched questions by retards who just noticed /trv/ and don't come back after posting.

If anything, I suspect our local modtard of being a /pol/-smoker, or sympathizer at least, basing on comments deleted and undeleted in said troll-a-than threads.
>>
>>1060811
>How many whores do you think he banged and got blowjobs from while he was there? And do you think your mom knows?

I wonder this sometimes. He went with a friend who used to have a loooot of women in his life before marriage so it might have been that my dad didn't do any of that but his friend did. I don't think my father is the type to cheat but who the fuck knows.
>>
>>1060812
I've seen threads deleted for merely having Pattaya as a subject. I think whatever gets reported gets deleted, regardless of subject matter
>>
>>1060735
I have no idea if I did either, to be honest with you. Have at it and use it.
>>
>>1060812
>mods
>/pol/ sympathisers

lol
>>
>>1060546
I come from a moderately well-traveled immediate family. Just after they got married, a long time ago (I'm old), my father took my mother to South Africa for a year while he conducted his dissertation research. Before that, they spent a few weeks backpacking around Europe before traveling by freighter from Stockholm to Cape Town. It was the first time either of them had been abroad, but they kept traveling occasionally, and my father sought out fellowships during his career that sent them to Thailand, Pakistan, and the UAE for year-long periods. They're old and retired now, but spend the winters in Vieques, Puerto Rico, which is perhaps less exotic but still foreign despite US territory status. Curiously, my mother isn't actually that fond of travel--she finds many aspects a hassle. But she puts up with it, and my dad very much vicariously enjoys my adventures.

The rest of my family varies--we are quite widely spread out across the US, so almost everyone has some domestic travel experience, and I have an uncle who was a career military officer who was stationed in the Philippines for several years with my aunt and some cousins. But most of my relatives are quite poor working class folks, so they haven't had the opportunity to get around much. Some cruises, Mexican or Caribbean resorts, etc.
>>
Uh oh, looks like captain butthurt is reporting posts he doesn't like
>>
>>1060546
reminds me when my sister was in Turkey last year when ISIS was reaching the boarder. My parents were having a fucking fit
>>
>>1060546
>Do you come from a well traveled family
This is my story. But, i had friends who traveled never for a thing, cept for 5hr drive to Disney World.

Here's what you do though, don't run this shit past them. Just do it. I'm not exaggerating. You say what you want to do, very matter of fact, and then do it. But, I want to outline how when someone is paying for a roof over your head, your money isn't entirely your money. When you don't pay rent, and someone affords a standard of life to you beyond what you could do alone, then you're going to look frivolous with money when you do ANYTHING with it except save it and plan for a good chunk to be ready for investing in your future home, future plans, additional education, being able to "settle down" if the amazing perfect person suddenly appears. When you aren't spending your income and barely able to save 20%, let alone the proper 30%, then it's hard for others to see how you deserve or should even desire to travel. Basic needs are more realistic, as is common sense, than rewarding yourself with things like you desire.

But, I get the travel bug, I travel 2x a month, and certainly have done airport buddy passes much of my life.
>>
>>1060546
you know I'm sometimes jealous for those sort of people. they can feel like the big fish of their little pond.

if you're well-traveled you can realize how crap your shithole was, how your every view can be justifiably wrong from a certain perspective and trips can be soured if you come across shitty people
>>
My parents left Philippines so I could have a better life. And for years we fought pretty often about how I'm not even ever in Canada to enjoy that better life. They had to travel for survival/necessity so they find it really hard to understand why I would choose to do it.

It got to a point where I just gave them the ultimatum to be in my life and accept my lifestyle or just keep growing further apart.

Meh - what can you do...
>>
>>1060919
>you know I'm sometimes jealous for those sort of people. they can feel like the big fish of their little pond.
>if you're well-traveled you can realize how crap your shithole was, how your every view can be justifiably wrong from a certain perspective and trips can be soured if you come across shitty people
I hear your point, but since I live among well-traveled people, and in less than desirable poorly-planned tax-hurt communities as well as very nice ones....I don't really think it works that way. I think for some people, you can live in an outstanding little town or great city, with regards to culture/events/arts, great city planning, good education for the kiddos, and nice ratio of jobs for all income level earners, mix of nature, whatever ranks a town well, or the shit-holes wrecked by loss of jobs/natural disasters/crime, but if the community is good, or people have great family networks and churches with stuff going on, it doesn't matter as much as loftier/intellectual pursuits you know?

What I think you are referring to is the kind of person happy to sit at home and veg on worthless mass-entertainment reality TV or sports, soap operas, celebrity magazines like they matter, and no other balance to their lives, no reading, no study, no ambitions, nothing at all, maybe just drinking. That's the sad hat type. But, if their life is just central to family type wholesome pursuits; it's not horrible at all. To say otherwise is to place travel above responsible reality.
>>
>>1060812
Same can be said about ESL threads but they don't get deleted and in many ways have less to do with travel than threads that involve sex. It's not even just sex tourism, but threads have been deleted about dating while traveling or how to use local women for room, board, and personal tour guide.
>>
File: 1446659745379.jpg (63 KB, 500x495) Image search: [Google]
1446659745379.jpg
63 KB, 500x495
>tfw parents travel way more than I do
>>
>>1061344
Your post is going to get reported and deleted.
>>
My dad moved to Canada from Germany as a kid, and returned to travel Europe in the 70s/80s. Hasn't left Canada since then.

Mom travels around Ontario, but nowhere beyond the province.

Brother has zero interest in traveling, which always depresses me a little bit.
>>
>>1060546
My family (Americans) definitely supports travel. My father tried to backpack his way from the UK to India. (But only made it to Turkey before his money ran out. Don't gamble kids.) My grandparents went to to china in 1983(?), whenever it first opened up to tourism. My great great grandfather was the first person to travel around the world in a car. (Technically, *with* a car since most of it was by ship. He joked the worst roads were in Indiana. Well we think it was a joke.)
I've traveled a lot as well. Doesn't make me special. I try not to talk about it except anonymous. If you've gone everywhere or just want to, anybody on /trv/ is enough of a traveler for me.

>>1060821
>>1061344
I went to Pattaya to meet up with a friend before I knew what it was (although I should've suspected...) I actually liked the city even though I don't buy girls. I have used local women for tours, room and board. That is a much better way to go. (Also if you meet a nice local girl, how could you not do this? She's not going to let you sleep at a damn hostel.)
>>
Yeah, my dad. Only him though.
He started to travel a lot in the 70s. Went pretty much everywhere and traveled extensively in the Pacific. He lived with some tribe in Papua New Guinea for few months, and he also worked for a couple of years in Vanuatu. He did some backpacking in Australia before settling there for good. And he also backpacked elsewhere in the world. I think his favorite "spot" was going from Cuba to Tierra del Fuego.

Although I travel quite a lot, I don't backpack though.
>>
>>1060546
I don't know about the extended senpai, but my American mum and English dad met in a German university then taught English around the world (Japan, Czechoslovakia, Mexico, etc.) before I came along and ruined it.

I mean, grand- and great-grand-parents obviously travelled all over for those pesky world wars, but I don't know if military travelling counts the same. Mum's mum being German always amuses me though, since my great-gramps' were basically fighting each other. Apparently German great-gramps' biggest fear at Stalingrad wasn't the Russians, but crossing the plank bridges to get off boats since he couldn't swim.

I like to think that might've had an effect on me, but idk.
>>
>>1061696
>extended senpai

wh-what? since when was this a thing
>>
>>1060546
My mother though Slovenia might be dangerous...
>>
>>1061697
F@m filters to senpai
C (u)ck filters to Kek

And t8h filters to desu
>>
>>1061713
huh i wondered where all this senpai and desu shit came from
>>
>>1060779
>It is telling how many of you think of travel as some kind of soul-purifying ritual

For someone who has always wanted to, and then finally gets the opportunity to travel it very well could be a soul-purifying.....um ritual. A ritual of sorts.
>>
>>1060546
Nope, which is why I left home 1 1/2 yrs ago and have been travelling around ever since.. I do not understand how people will stay in one state their entire life let alone not even leave the country to experience different parts of the world, though I have not technically left the country since hawaii does not count whatsoever, I will be within the next couple of years going to france possibly other countries as well (gf wants to go).. The future is open to many possibilities.

I hate the fact that I never got to experience anything outside of the "4 walls" of nothingness in the shithole state i was born in. and I will never understand how my family would never go anywhere and just sat there watching tv constantly. fucking depressing man...

Well, at least now I am a young adult, I go hiking/camping/train hopping as I please and have no one in control of me. Feels fucking good. I am going on an adventure across the california coast from San diego to Norcal and thru tahoe and back down this coming year, will be gr8.
>>
>>1061697
>>1061713
Thanks to our new zipperhead overlord for the hirarious firters.

>>1061727
I've lived 'abroad' for 6 years, though I don't count that as travelling. I have travelled a lot as well. I'm not really sure if I count as an immigrant, as I don't see myself 'abroad' or even where I am not forever. I certainly don't plan to die here where I am now. The term 'expat' I find a bit silly and snooty as well, and in any case I'm not a company-man. But yea, I find it hard to return home for visits, because old friends and family just don't 'understand' my way of viewing home or the world in the same way. I don't think myself better or anything. It's just a set of experiences they have't shared, that's all. Even still, I've got friends buying their first homes, raising young children, etc. and think they're lucky to live in a 'big' (2 million) relatively cosmopolitan city... to me it feels a little provincial though, and and they don't even take advantage of a lot of what the city has to offer anyway. They don't understand, and are shocked and somehow disappointed when I say that I don't really want to move back home.
>>
My grandparents travelled a bit but my dad always thought it was stupid and dangerous. I have shown interest in every parts of the world and have started planing a work away trip in about a year for my first solo trip.

But its hard to convince him that ill be alright and safe for a lot of places I want to go. If i suggest anywhere in Africa he is convinced ill get AIDS. Anywhere around Turkey/Greece ill get sold to ISIS don't even get me started on SEA. the only places he's on board with is NZ or the UK which isn't exotic enough for me.
>>
>>1060546
Fortunately, my parents took me on many trips when I was a kid. Got to see almost all the states, and went to a few foreign countries.

I have friends and coworkers that are weird with travel, though. I really don't get it. Some of them are straight-up tin-foil hat and think the body scanners dose you with a large amount of deadly radiation -or that the plane being so high in the sky will cause cancer. These same 'health concerned' people are also fat as shit and are rubes.
>>
My parents worked as holiday reps for years and had me and my brother in Italy (both sides from England originally). We came to England when we were young mainly so that we could travel more frequently. My mum's parents travel all the time and everyone's always hoped me and my brother would follow in their footsteps.

I'm grateful to be traveling and had such a vast exposure to it from so young, and I'll never be able to thank my family enough for giving me it.
>>
>>1062104
Sounds like my dad, the only place he would ever consider acceptable is Australia, and apparently even that's too dangerous because the plane has to fly over water to get there...
Thread replies: 53
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.