[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Anybody ever been to Papua New Guinea?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /trv/ - Travel

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 2
File: [email protected] (258 KB, 1024x683) Image search: [Google]
png-experience-mt-hagen-warrior@2x.jpg
258 KB, 1024x683
Anybody ever been to Papua New Guinea?
>>
Yes.
>>
Yes and I got shot
20 + years of military /Security work and its the only place I was in fear
>>
>>1060765

>Afraid of some jungle men with outdated rifles and machetes

Man the fuck up, the bandits never go anywhere near security guards because they know they are well trained and will shoot at anything that they see as a threat. I got no idea where you have worked before, but i can seriously think of dozens of worse places than PNG.
>>
File: BCDYv.gif (1 MB, 355x200) Image search: [Google]
BCDYv.gif
1 MB, 355x200
>>1060783
>>1060765
internet tough guy fight in 3... 2... 1...
>>
>>1060783
>I got shot
>man up you pussy

Well something like that must be easy to write for somebody who has probably not been in that situation.

Personally it's one of my top places on my bucket list, would like to hear stories from people who've been there
>>
i have for work its fucking awful i lived in a workers camp and the natives were still throwing spears through the barb wire fences.
>>
>>1060783
Um
I wasn't working in the military/security industry at the time I got shot....
>>
Went hiking with png born aussie guy and his png extended family. They travel together for safety. Guys brother normally travels with a glock. The Whole walk the guys uncle was shadowing us 20 m of track in the jungle watching for anyone coming up behind. Stories; 1. walked through a deserted village, apparently a couple men from the village amputated a traders arms and threw him over a waterfall so the traders family were expected to show up and take revenge. 2. No open browsing shops. Everything is purchased through wire and barred Windows. All white / affluent people live in compounds. 3 guy I know just got back from his last visa permit as an electrician for a mining company. The company removed an illegal fence, within a day the Bob cat driver was lynched and the mining site shut for a week.
Everyone carries a blade. You see toddlers who can only just walk carrying steak knives.
The Australian government safety rating for working there is the same as Afghanistan.
>>
>>1061070
Funny. My father went there in the 1970s and a friend of his as well. I don't recall him saying how dangerous it was.
Did it just get worse since the 70s or what?
>>
Jared Diamond raves about how smart Guineans are in his shitty book: Guns, Germs and Steel. Smarter than Europeans he says.
>>
I read a blog of a Russian traveller who spent about 40 days in Papua New Guinea, traveling by hitchhiking and occasional local transport, and staying as a guest at locals' houses. He travelled from the Indonesian border to Lae (the second biggest city) and back. From his blog I didn't get impression that PNG is THAT dangerous. Only the (few) big cities are sketchy, while the rest of the country is quite friendly. Though traveling there is a huge adventure since transport and infrastructure is severely lacking.
>>
>>1060783
Amurican detected
Yeeeehaaaa
>>
http://mobile.abc.net.au/news/2014-05-05/black-cat-track-attack-png/5428118
>>
Is Port Moresby worth visiting?
>>
>>1061091
Keep in mind that the whole of Eastern Europe and much of Asia is basically a bootcamp, so you really have to go to war zones to feel more unsafe than at home.
Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.