[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I have a couple of questions. First off, I'm traveling to
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /trv/ - Travel

Thread replies: 5
Thread images: 1
File: 1654626.jpg (1 MB, 1920x1200) Image search: [Google]
1654626.jpg
1 MB, 1920x1200
I have a couple of questions. First off, I'm traveling to Japan in June/July to do an extensive trip. I will be there no less then 30 days, but am hoping my funding will stretch me to the end of passport allowances which is I think 3 months. I will be stopping at many places along the way to try out food, culture, and hopefully experience something life changing.

I need to know how those with experience are able to travel with food and water without an vehicle?

I may need to camp out at some points and may need pitch a tent somewhere. Do you know the laws about doing this in areas in between cities/villages?

Do you know how much the cost of a hotel costs after tax and such? For example, in the US, we go hur dur this is $X for 2 nights. But then when you make a final pay they go, "Hah, just kidding, you still have taxes, hotel fees, local fees, etc. bringing your total to $X+Y." I need to know exactly how much I am spending before hand to make sure I have that money available.

Should I buy a bike while I'm there, or should I buy a bike in the US and ship it via the plane ride?

Have you ever had a portable solar panel to charge electricity or possibly operate equipment? If so, what have you used and how good was it? I was hoping to use it to charge camera batteries, laptop batteries, and possibly cook food.

Where can I find water proof clothing? All the local stores near me don't have anything that I could literally sit in the middle of a rain storm in. Because I plan on doing photography in nature, and it will be in June, I need something that will keep me 100% dry and warm. Recommendations?

I had a few more questions but forgot them. I'll ask as I remember.
>>
Can't answer all your questions but I'll answer some. Don't take my opinion as gospel I'm sure other anons will disagree and your own research should be done anyway.

>I need to know how those with experience are able to travel with food and water without an vehicle?
I hike/camp quite a bit and everything goes on your back in a rucksack. Water is heavy - 1Kg per Litre . You need 2-3L's per day + more for cooking so this is going to add significant weight to your pack. Food can be as light or as heavy as you want depending on how luxurious you go but it soon adds up.

Are you really planning on walking/biking everywhere? What's the furthest you've walked in a day before? What about with significant weight on your back? A full load is going to slow you down. If you've never done anything like this before, it's going to be hard and miserable. I'd recommend stopping by a store every 2-3 days to resupply with food and water to keep weight down instead of slugging along with a weeks worth of shit. Even then, with tent+stove+clothes+food+water+everything else you're still looking at maybe 15-20Kg depending how cheap or lightweight you buy. As a general rule, expensive=lightweight, cheap=heavy. Are you sure you'll be capable of those weights for extended periods of time? Carrying the load on a bike will make it easier work.

>I may need to camp out at some points and may need pitch a tent somewhere. Do you know the laws about doing this in areas in between cities/villages?
I'm not sure on the specific laws but from memory in my past research, you can only (legally) camp in designated spots. But stealth camping is a thing and I've gotten away with camping in spots I shouldn't have before. If you're quiet, discreet and not causing trouble you may be able to get away with it but have to be prepared to suffer the consequences if discovered.
>>
>Should I buy a bike while I'm there, or should I buy a bike in the US and ship it via the plane ride?
Buy it in country, I would imagine.

>Have you ever had a portable solar panel to charge electricity
I really wouldn't bother with them. The one's that are small enough to be portable are next to useless. They require a clear bright sunny day to get a trickle of electricty. You'd be better off with a high capacity external battery pack (the type anker make) and recharcing that from mains at every opportunity you get.

>Where can I find water proof clothing? I need something that will keep me 100% dry and warm.
There's no such thing really. You'll still get damp from sweat and condensation anyway even with top quality waterproofs. The best thing you can do with clothing is to use a layering system. Thermal base layer to wick away the sweat from the body. A mid layer that offers insulation and keeps you warm (by trapping air) and then an outer waterproof and windproof layer that's breathable. In torrential rain, you're going to struggle to stay dry completely. The most important thing is a quick way to dry your clothes that are wet and a dry change of clothes you can put on. Look into dry bags to keep a spare set of clothes in.

You might also consider a poncho if you don't want to go the waterproof jacket/trousers route. And GAITERS! These are a godsend in keeping your socks dry through tall wet grass. You'll also want a decent pair of walking boots that are comfortable and BROKEN IN BEFORE YOU GO.
>>
>>1060292
>Are you sure you'll be capable of those weights for extended periods of time?
I'm planning on getting one of those bike trailers, too. I just forgot to mention that.

Thanks for all the other info. I'll make sure to do a camping trip/hike in my new gear to break it all in.
>>
>>1060286
Depending on the gear you're hauling can do a lot by local train only (occasionally jumping the tracks to get cheaper passes). I kept my pack below 45Kg and it was fine on about 2KUSD traveling from Nagoya to Hiroshima, to Rishiri and back.

I was hassled by police in Aomori a bit, but only because The hole in the wall hostel is apparently a drug den.
Thread replies: 5
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.