[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How's hitchhiking in South Africa? Apparently there's
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /trv/ - Travel

Thread replies: 6
Thread images: 2
How's hitchhiking in South Africa? Apparently there's no public transport, so I'm not exactly sure on how to get around.

I could rent a car, but that's going to be expensive and back home we drive on the right.
>>
>>1060166
You face a decent chance of having a knife implanted in your jugular while you try to signal passing cars.
I don't usually give a damn about this shit but crime is pretty fucking high over there. Roadside robberies/killings are fairly common.
I'm sure just like any other destination you'll be safe as long as you don't act like an idiot but in this case just hire a car and have fun independently.
>>
>>1060202
Fair enough, it is what it is.

How much does gas cost, more or less? I'll be trekking around some other southern African countries first so I won't be spending a whole lot of money there, but South Africa is a bit more expensive.
>>
>>1060166
There are inter city buses plus the train. Translux and Greyhound are the big bus companies and South African railways(Shoshalosha Meyl) runs the long distance trains. Joburg and Cape Town run somewhat good transit systems(bus,BRT) and the vans pick up the rest. Be careful using the commuter rail,they go through townships.
>>
File: IMG-20151213-WA0000.jpg (35 KB, 350x450) Image search: [Google]
IMG-20151213-WA0000.jpg
35 KB, 350x450
>>1060220
our fuel is cheap. Buses can get you from joburg to Cape Town but it is a long drive.
You'd be better off catching a budget plane.

Cape Town has a good bus system for the inner city and the Atlantic coast. Then there are trains for the other parts. Going to white areas on the train is relatively safe but I would not advise longer distances.

As for hiking that is mostly left for long distance truckers and they take payment via cash or blowjob and that is Thabo's BBC so avoid that, I worked in a construction firm and I've heard from our drivers and from the vehicle tracking reps these stories.

Joburg, Cape Town and durban have Uber. As I stay in Cape Town I can't comment on the joburg brt or trains.
>>
>>1060241
Travel guides will tell you to stay off commuter trains in Jozi. The Gautrain is ok. Rea Vaya runs the BRT system.
Thread replies: 6
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.