[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I have a dream, /trv/. My dream is to fly to America. Specifically,
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /trv/ - Travel

Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 5
I have a dream, /trv/. My dream is to fly to America. Specifically, to eat. I've watched lot of clips on youtube of people in America eating massive meals that you can order in random restaurants throughout the US. There seems to be hundreds of places you can do it, here in Australia, there's hardly any. I've been following Randy Santel on youtube and watched a few Man vs Food episodes, I think it would be sick to do. My problem is that I don't know how I could begin setting something like this up. I think I should also do stuff other than just go and eat at places. I'll also not know anyone which kind of sucks. Have any of you m8s done something similar to this? Anyone in America keen to get to know a chill aussie and maybe meet up or something?

I'm not a neckbeard btw.
>>
>>1060108
Ive always wanted to do a roadtrip and do all the foood challenges. unfortunately im broke unifag.

i would love to help you my friend but i dont think i can. what i can tell you is this

get on couchsurfing.com

lots of good people who like putting up random strangers (done this a few times, its pretty sweet and totally free)

be careful

United states is a very strange country to travel to because you can walk a few blocks in the wrong direction and end up in the fuckin murder capital of the country.

just educate yourself on the cities you plan to go to and get on couch surfing. good luck anon
>>
Those big meals are an interesting novelty but you wouldn't want to do more than one a week. Hell, I wouldn't want to do more than one a month. Tbh, the portions in American restaurants are huge already even for me a Canadian.

If you do end up going to the States just pre-plan a few restaurants that serve big portions and visit them along the way. Just don't make this the focus of your trip.
>>
>>1060108
The US is a big country. Decide where you want to fly to, and then research what foods/restaurants you want to try while you are in that city. Many different places have their own regional flares, or specific items they are known for, and deciding what you want to try most can help you.

My friends and I decided to do a Deep-dish pizza tour of Chicago, where we went to the different pizzerias and got a pizza from each place. We planned on going to 4 but we only finished 2 before we got full and had to take massive shits.
>>
>>1060135
>4 deep dish pizzas between 2 people
Damn anon, you're a fatty.

I had Deep Dish in China because not burger-american. I could eat 2/3s of it and then had the rest take away, stashed it in my minibar and had my hotel heat it up the next day for lunch.
>>
>>1060108
Rly those are ur goals in life.. Kill yourself
>>
Maybe you should take the time and money you would spend traveling and set up a restaurant or catering company in Australia that would offer really large servings? Call yourself Big Bruce. Like in your pic, that's probably $5 worth of pasta, sauce and ground beef.

If they don't have huge meals in Australia, can't you just order two meals?

America has very little domestic food production protection for a developed economy, like price controls, so food is just really cheap. They can also get by without importing any food other than seasonal stuff.

Are there no all you can eat buffets in Australia?
>>
>>1060182
Yeah it's my one goal in life you stupid fucking faggot. It was just a different way to start the thread.
>>
>>1060225
Food in Australia is just different. There's none of that middle ground that we have here. It's either high end small portions for big prices or pub-grub/deep fried shit. Your suggestion for ordering 2 meals would make it expensive, food there is just expensive overall. They certainly do not have food freedums there.
>>
>>1060108
Better go to China for this. Or Ukraine, the cheapest country in the world. Or Brazil, where you can get unlimited grilled meat for like $4-5. I've been to 80+ countries and USA is the only one where I was literally on the verge of starvation. I survived mostly because I bought a lot of food while I was in Mexico and it lasted some time. Otherwise food in the US is unbelievably expensive, If you want to eat something for less than $10 McDonalds is the ONLY option in most places. Vegetables and fruit in supermarkets are also very expensive and supermarkets are pretty hard to find because most cities are spread out.
>>
>>1060159
nah there were 5 or 6 of us. We finished large deep dish pizzas. We also made the mistake of going one after another.
>>
>>1060108
>I'll also not know anyone which kind of sucks. Have any of you m8s done something similar to this?

Nope, already live in the US. I do consider myself a bit of a food tourist, since I love eating the local fair so I support you in your efforts.

>Anyone in America keen to get to know a chill aussie and maybe meet up or something?

I think you'll find a lot of Americans are willing to do this. I recommend doing something like couchsurfing when you do this. The person you stay with will most likely be more then happy to help you get stupid full.
>>
File: 1450545308149s.jpg (4 KB, 165x250) Image search: [Google]
1450545308149s.jpg
4 KB, 165x250
bump
>>
>>1060108
Texas fag here just moved to the lone star state, hit me up at my throwaway, [email protected]
>>
>>1060135
Did you go to the one off of Whacker Dr?
>>
>>1060108
You can find competition sized meals in every city in the US. (Really until you get used to it, you will find giant portions at every restaurant enter.)

However, if you want extravagant sizes as more than just a single novelty item on the menu, I'd recommend Las Vegas. Flights there are cheap (subsidized by gambling). And they have dozens of high end, yet inexpensive, all-you-can-eat buffets.

Also, transport options. Rent a car is probably the best. Or unpleasant buses and often crappy trains that can get you around the country. Or hitchhike if you like trading a ride for sexual favors. (I am serious, this is a rule of the road. Most people do not hitchhike.)

also pic of vegas buffet. I would not be surprised if that sculpture was made of butter.
>>
>>1061287
OP here, I'm not a gambler or a party goer at all. Not sure if I'd have fun in Vegas, is there even uch to do there if I'm not a fan of gambling, drinking or whores?
>>
File: image.jpg (190 KB, 600x530) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
190 KB, 600x530
>>1061315
Vegas is definitely not for everyone. I wouldn't recommend it typically, but if you want to see decadent America... There are lots of shows (for lots of money) if you'd like cirque du soleil or something.

If you are looking more for Americana, rent a car and eat your way along Route 66, see image. Or maybe bike down the whole coast so you actually could eat all this food.
>>
>>1061315
Vegas is lame if you don't have an allowance that you want to waste in a spectacular fashion. There's very little to do except waste money, though there are endless way to do so. I rolled trough during a road trip with a backpacker's budget and 0 expectations but I was still disappointed. I didn't really understand the appeal.

Even if I could have afforded it, the notion of blowing money when EVERYBODY is blowing money doesn't seem fun. The point of conspicuous consumption is that it's conspicuous. Specific hotels have target demographics (Harrah's is rednecks) which some hotels (MGM Grand) simply divide spending-level by tower or floor. It's like he entertainment holding companies work very hard to segregate you and then try squeeze you for a more based on some computer model of human psychology.

Rich or poor, anyone with the aesthetic sensibility to backpack isn't a target consumer for the Vegas experience.
>>
>>1060253
There are a ton of McDonalds-like options, though.

Under $5 is a challenge in the US; under 10 is easy.
>>
>>1061430
I used to live near Vegas, and had to go there for non-fun-related reasons a few times. I tried to hang out in the tourist areas, and I really didn't get it. I think you have come close to defining why. Thanks.
>>
>>1060108
>I've watched lot of clips on youtube of people in America eating massive meals that you can order in random restaurants throughout the US. There seems to be hundreds of places you can do it, here in Australia, there's hardly any.
The cost of produce and food in the US is one of the lowest percentages of annual income than anywhere else in the world. It's got some inflation lately of course, but it's still really reasonable. So, as a result, restaurants consider portions to be competitive in the nature of customer service and giving a "good value" for the money.

Use local websites from yelp to tripadvisor, as well as those past Man vs Food or Diners Drive-ins and Dives for this kind of value eating. Big chains practice it as well, from Cheesecake Factory to Maggiano's Little Italy. People share platters or think of planned leftovers when they order. Just because there are big portions doesn't mean people don't leave 90% of the carbs on the plate untouched.
>>
File: outback_onions.jpg (50 KB, 493x335) Image search: [Google]
outback_onions.jpg
50 KB, 493x335
>>1060108
>>1061455
Oh that reminds me. As an Aussie coming to America to eat big food. (Hard to believe I'm saying this but,) you should try eating at Outback steakhouse. It is a chain of restaurants that claims to serve Australian food. Check out this bloomin onion, ~2000 calories. And that's just an appetizer.
>>
>>1061485
OP here, I've never even seen a blooming onion on any menu here m8.
>>
>>1060108
Las Vegas might be the best place to eat huge quantities of all different things, all walking distance from each other.
>>
>>1061541
Well yeah, that's the point. Eat at Outback, drink a Fosters, use some Aussie shampoo. None of these things are Australian, but they are sold to Americans as if they are.
>>
>>1061265
We went to Gino's East (I think... the one by Ed Debevics where you can draw on shit) and Lou Malnatis
Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.