[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Guatemala
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /trv/ - Travel

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 1
File: 800px-Tikal.jpg (125 KB, 800x533) Image search: [Google]
800px-Tikal.jpg
125 KB, 800x533
Hello all. I'm leaving to Guatemala next week and will be there for NYE. Does anyone have advice?

My boyfriend has family in the capitol and we'll be traveling together. We might have a car to use at least part of the time. Places we definitely need to go? Places to avoid? Thanks.
>>
Also planning to go to Guatemala but in February. If you are gonna be based in the capital you can definitely visit Antigua and even the Atitlan lake quite easily. Also the Chichicastenango market on thursdays and sundays
>>
Find the kid I've been sponsoring through Child Fund International and let me know if he's real.
>>
Is he white? Are you white? Not /pol/, but certain people attract crime there.
>>
>>1060262
honestly, that's what makes me a little bit insecure. I will be there two weeks and I don't know whether I have to worry at all or not... Normally, I have my senses pretty sharp and I don't fall for tricks easily but still, I think this is the most dangerous place I have ever been
>>
>>1060270
Your bf has family there. You will be fine, just be careful. Speaking spanish will help a lot. Its not like as soon as they see a whitey get off the plane they call their kidnapper cousin to get you. Plenty of normal folk going about normal lives who willl be mildly interested at your presence at best. People act like going to latin america is like going to the islamic state or something...

Source: whitey with mexi gf and i stay in sinaloa regularly with no problems
>>
>>1060262
I am but he is not. This is my biggest concern but I'm hoping since I'm with a group of locals it won't be a problem.

Unfortunately I'll be passing through the border alone - does anyone have experience with GUA airport customs?
>>
Mexican here

You should go to Yucatan, it's far better, and you should explore Chichen Itza
>>
>>1060284
I would love to go to Mexico someday but that will be another time.
>>
>>1060256
>Also planning to go to Guatemala but in February. If you are gonna be based in the capital you can definitely visit Antigua and even the Atitlan lake quite easily. Also the Chichicastenango market on thursdays and sundays
This is all you need to know, OP.

If you will be with locals, you'll be okay. Antigua is full of expats/spanish immersion and arts kind of students. Dress very conservatively, skirt/pants, and some kind of sleeve, esp when visiting churches. I haven't been since the 80s horrible times, but I think in any country with kind of scary possibilities you should be with locals, or hire a "handler" in the form of a driver from a reputable source, like a finer hotel. Can even do "tours" through concierges as well. They're happy to throw business to the quality kind of people for little day trips like that.
>>
The guatemaltecos are shitty people
>>
>>1060280
I'm not OP. Spanish is my native language though. Even though my accent is clearly european and I do indeed look european.
>>
>>1060331
You make it sound a little bit scary. I'm gonna be solo there... to fairly touristy places though
>>1060284
For what I have researched I think Guatemala has a more authentic touch to it than Yucatan. Not to mention Chichen Itza clearly loses to Tikal and the area
>>
>>1060545
If female solo travelers with no spanish can pass thru guatemala ok, i think youll manage.

Dont overthink it so much, on the tourist trail especially you will be fine. Just leave your flashiest clothes and accessories at home, and dont get wasted outside of the hostel if you are that worried. Speaking spanish will keep you out of areas you shouldnt be.
>>
>>1060571
That's certainly reassuring. Thanks. The only flashy thing that I have is a DSLR with a big obvious lens...
Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.