[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Three weeks in Colombia
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /trv/ - Travel

Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 5
File: Colombia.gif (44 KB, 550x413) Image search: [Google]
Colombia.gif
44 KB, 550x413
Hi /trv/,

I stopped by a while back asking for advice on where to go in South America. Tickets are now booked! I’ll be heading to Colombia for three weeks in January, I can’t wait. I am really excited about all the possibilities the country appears to offer from jungle in the south, to mountains, pacific coast and Caribbean beaches! Sorry for the guide book introduction, but I cant wait and it is the first time I’m heading further south west than Mexico (I am from Denmark btw).

What are some stops that should not be missed, what is the most awesome thing to do/eat? I do realize that drugs could potentially be quite a popular activity, I already smoke the amount of pot I want to at home and I am not interested in cocaine… So back to the question that I hope you have some input on, I really like hiking, diving, spotting and photographing animals, staying in cities and eating whatever street vendors sell.
>>
There are some awesome mountains surrounding Bogota, where you can go hiking (paramos).
>>
>>1059889
Also, if you go to Bogota, don't miss going to Monserrate (a church on the top of a mountain, quite popular place)
>>
>>1059889
The list could go forever, I'm trying to address the points you mentioned. Talking about thw street vendors, be sure to have someone from the city to advice you where to eat. Better be safe.

PS: I'm from Bogota. Whatever you need, just ask.
>>
>>1059889
Random and important places I can recall right now:

Amazon river
Santa marta
Cartagena
Eje cafetero (lots of coffee)
Small towns in Boyaca
Villa de Leyva

Feel free to do a little bit of research regarding tours and other stuff.

Colombia is beautiful, you made a great choice. Have a nice time :).
>>1059889
>>
File: IMG_4283.jpg (413 KB, 1613x1210) Image search: [Google]
IMG_4283.jpg
413 KB, 1613x1210
>>1059760

>Sorry for the guide book introduction

This is /trv/. Most of us like traveling, so there's no reason to apologize for getting excited over an upcoming trip.

I did about a month in Colombia in August and September. I spent a disproportionate amount of time in Bogota but also traveled to Medellin, Cartagena, Santa Marta, and a couple of small towns and villages in the mountains. I know there are a lot of nature and hiking opportunities in the north of the country, specifically from Cartagena east.

Definitely check out "Parque Tayrona." I didn't get the chance to go, but it's a vehicle-restricted national park and you have to hike or take boats to get around most of it. It's well-patrolled by the police so you shouldn't have too many issues with safety. Honestly, there's a lot to do just about everywhere. I went paragliding over Medellin for less than $25 a day after I rode a cable car over the slums to a national park and spent a while hiking around at a higher elevation.

The food in Colombia was pretty forgettable, IMO. Eating is one of a very few things I don't miss about the country. That's not to say that Colombian food is terrible, but I found it to be a largely bland and repetitive cuisine.

Pic is from paragliding over Medellin.

Feel free to ask if you have any other questions. I don't know everything about Colombia but I know there are a couple of other regulars on /trv/ who have recently went there as well.

Oh, and VivaColombia is cheap as balls. Their flights are a little bumpy but you can book domestic one-way flights for sometimes less than $30.
>>
File: IMG_4352.jpg (922 KB, 1613x1210) Image search: [Google]
IMG_4352.jpg
922 KB, 1613x1210
>>1059894
>>1059893

Also,

>Colombia is beautiful, you made a great choice

This a million times over. I've traveled here and there but Colombia was the first country in Latin America I've visited, despite my being an American. Absolutely fucking loved the place. Beautiful country, amazingly warm people, and a vibrant culture to boot. Absolutely the kind of place I want to go back to as soon as I can.
>>
OP here

>>1059892

Holy shit man, that would be awesome I am definitely interested in meeting up - I am traveling with my girlfriend and i am sure she would appreciate it as well.

>>1059893

I already checked up on few things, do you think that the amazon is doable in January? I read that it was the wet season, what ever that means in a rainforest...

>>1059894

How was the flights with VivaColombia, my girlfriend is sort of afraid of flying but she was alright when we flew domestic in Tanzania so I am sure it will be alright.

I thought about diving either of the pacific coast or up near Saint Andres, any experience with that?

>>1059895

Perfect! cant wait to go
>>
>>1060005
>>1059892

I'll be there in the 25th of January actually, hope that's not too late for you. Right now I'm in Canada on an exchange program.
If you want give me your e-mail.
>>
>>1060044

We are arriving on the 7th but we should be back in Bogota around the 25th as we fly back on the 27th. My email [email protected]!

We have been looking at a few of the different national parks. PNN el Cocuy sounds pretty awesome

Also we have thought about heading out to San Andres and Provincia for the beach and diving experience.

Any recommendations for alternative or heading to some place other than El Cocuy - we have thought about Latica and the Amazonas is that even doable in January? I would like to come across some animals while outside
>>
>>1059760
>I do realize that drugs could potentially be quite a popular activity

no, drug consumption rates are higher in any European country, in Brazil, Chile, etc. Most Colombians don't do drugs for many reasons: religion, conservativism, money (a gram of coke is half a daily minimum wage), anti drug propaganda, etc. Also, cocaine is the only drug that the country produces in really big quantities, so many other drugs are even less affordable.
>>
>>1060005
Different anon here, but i used vivacolombia when i was there to go from bogota go cartagena with my gf. It was indeed cheap, however we ended us missing our flight because when we got there it was delayed, and the gate agent told us to come back at a certain time. We came back at that time and our flight had already left. We were there with anout 8 other people that missed it to, so after about an hour of arguing they put us on the next days flight for free. Kinda sucked to lose a day tho...

My gf and i went to tayrona as well. I highly highyl reccomend it. It is a beautiful place, and no cars. The water is too rough to swim in most places, but its pretty easy hiking to the different swim beaches they have set up to camp at as well. We spent 3 days in tayrona, one of the highlights of the trip.

It was totally safe in tayrona, tricky thing is getting there. My gf and i speak spanish so it wasnt really an issue for us. Cartagena was the most sketchy place we were at, i was sure two guys were going to rob us when we showed up at 10pm at a locked hostel on a construction filled street. They doubled back and were standing right behind us and the hostel guy shood then off by saying there were no rooms and he wouldnt let us in. After they wandered off he let us into an empty hostel and everythingn went better than expected.

I would also reccomend you and you gf visit playa blanca near cartagena, that was the ultimate paradise to fuck at in a bungalow over the sandy beach. Kinda tricky to get to tho, but good luck. Best couple spot ive ever been to
>>
>>1060933

I was refering to the tourist - it is mostly a stereotype i guess.

>>1061123

Cool that you enjoyed Tayrona we are also condering it at the moment.

Any one with experiences in south western colombia? We are talking about heading to PNN Purace and Tatacoa
>>
File: caño cristales.jpg (217 KB, 800x573) Image search: [Google]
caño cristales.jpg
217 KB, 800x573
>>1059760
Colombianon here

Great places to go
>Caño Cristales
>Parque Tayrona
>Santa Marta
>Las Lajas Sanctuary
>Sumapaz (for hiking)
>Calima Lake
and "el chorro de quevedo" to chill

You have to eat
>tamales
>marranitas
>cholao/ lulada/ champu
>mamona
>bandeja paisa
>hormiga culona (I hate it but still)
>cabrito
>arepa de huevo/ carimañola
>dulce de leche
>patacon con suero costeño
>ajiaco
>lechona
>mote
>sabajon/ chicha/ guarapo
>borojo
>canelazo
>>
If you like hiking and stuff, go to the chicamocha canyon in the department of Santander, or to the Sierra nevada de santa marta or to the oarque de los nevados near manizales. If you like a nice city to hang around, go to Medellín. Manizales is nice too. A little cold in weather but nice.
>>
If you want jungle and stuff, fibd a tour to Leticia, or caño cristales.
>>
>>1061499
What no, Chicharrón?
>>
>>1061512
There is chicharron in bandeja paisa

>>1059760
I forgot man, in Meta or Casanare you can see easily anteaters (I almost killed one driving), tiger cats, sloths and boas, and that's like 5-6 hours from Bogota.
>>
I'm going to Colombia at the same time! Starting in Cartagena and working my way down to Guayquil, Ecuador overland. I've got about 2.5 weeks to do it and I hope it's not too unrealistic.

Tentative plan is:
Cartagena>Mompox>Bucaramanga>Medellin>Cali>Pasto>Quito>Guayquil

Any advice on how to get around and where to go along that route is much appreciated. I wish I could just buy a cheap motorcycle somewhere then sell it before I fly out (it's cheaper than renting even if I abandon it on the side of the road) but I think that's unrealistic and I'm just hopping buses the whole trip.

Sorry to hijack your thread with my own plans, hope you enjoy your trip too I feel your excitement
>>
>>1061606

Sounds awesome man - no worries on using the same thread.

A question for all

Our itinerary is bogota -> Popayan -> purace and 4 more days in the south -> then towards either the coast and PNN tayrona or San andres/providencia what would trv recommend of the two?
>>
>>1061606
Im from cali, colombia. About the motorcycle i dont think its a good idea, because the license, not trying to scare you but you could get lost or something, its better that you get on buses, taxis or "mototaxis/motoratones"
>>
>>1061763
If you like hiking, then definetely go to Tayrona. If you want to relax in the beach and swim or dive in an awesome sea, then go to San Andrés.
>>
>>1061763

I was also looking at living in Medellin for a month or two- what about buying a scooter or a quad/ATV? Do these need to be registered/insured?
>>
File: portada.jpg (11 KB, 400x212) Image search: [Google]
portada.jpg
11 KB, 400x212
Colombia is very very nice place. I recommended visit to Bogota (becareful with - Ñeros -, are bad persons)
>>
>>1061423
Tatacoa is a desert near the city of Neiva in the Huila department. At least for me it was very cool since I like astronomy. There's a small observatory and guided tours in the area. You can also go camping in the desert and enjoy the local food.
>>
>>1061833
>cali
Bro i'm from cali too. ¿Qué te parece la feria?
Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.