[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Joining the French Foreign Legion
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /trv/ - Travel

Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 2
File: saitama_workout.jpg (254 KB, 860x1236) Image search: [Google]
saitama_workout.jpg
254 KB, 860x1236
Sup /trv/

Have any of you made it into or tried joining the French Foreign Legion?
I've given myself 6 months to train and git gud before I go to Paris and knock on their doors next July. I'm hoping to start my life from scratch because I'm sick of the third world shithole that I live in (India) and sick of the people around me and sick of the consumerist society in general. I understand that the training and the combat will be brutal but I'm craving for some action in life. All the adventure and the French overseas territories I'll get to travel are added bonuses.

I got a lot of information about the training and the Legion itself from their forum cervens.net and YouTube videos but I have a feeling that the people I'll come across in the Legion will be very similar to the posters here, so I made this thread to get your insights on the FFL. What do you think about it?

Besides that, this will be the first time I'll be travelling out of my country. I'm working form home as a software developer albeit with absolutely zero bank balance at the moment. I think I can manage to save up to 1000€ by the time I leave. Should that be enough to get my visa approved for a week's stay in Paris before I go knock at the Legion's doors?

Any tips or suggestions regarding the Legion or travelling in Paris are welcome.
>>
>>1059572
its France, it ain't shit compared to the other ones, but it isn't bad from where you are, enjoy the upgrade
>>
>>1059572
Can you do 50 pushups
60 setups?
Two miles in 12 minutes?
5 pull ups?

Why not your military?
Why the Legion instead?
Why do you want to join the Legion.

You need to want the Legion. You'll eat at a deficit for a month or so in their training and run about 5km every day. Most of the running with up to 40kg weight.

Also I hope you like cleaning (corvee) multiple times everyday and are willing to go to Africa or do jungle training, running nearly everyday there, and probably get begged and stolen from by Africans
>>
parlez-vous français?
>>
>>1059609
I have six months to teach at least reach basic level of french.

>>1059603
>Can you do 50 pushups, 60 setups? Two miles in 12 minutes? 5 pull ups?
Shouldn't be difficult after six months of training.

>Why not your military?
Our military isn't bad but I'm 25 years old and I don't want to waste 3 years in a military school before I get posted anywhere.

>Why the Legion instead?
I'll get to live among certified badasses and travel all over the world.

>Why do you want to join the Legion?
Sick of civilian life. Everyone I know is obsessed with malls, brands, sports and other shit that doesn't matter to me. I want to grow as a person and the FFL looks like a good experience.

Looking forward to the jungle training in the South American forests to be honest, Africa not so much.
>>
>>1059621
>>1059609
learn*
>>
>>1059603
>>1059621
Pushups and running is easy, the real physical challenge of being in the army happens in the field doing digging, combat drills, patrolling or ruck marching for long periods when you are short of food and sleep. It takes a toll on your body, especially when you are a bit older (the main difference I've noticed between being 26 and 18 is not so much fitness but recovery time is less).

To OP, nothing wrong with wanting to join the FFL just make sure you're doing it for the right reasons. Being a soldier feels like the best job in the world sometimes, but it also really sucks a lot of the time and I'm not just talking about the physical discomfort. Life in the military has its own set of unique shit to deal with, and like any large organization you will feel the pain of dealing with bureaucracy. If what you crave is action and excitement you will certainly get that, but it will be spread thinly throughout long periods of boredom.
>>
>>1059632
Thanks, this was good advice.
>>
>>1059572
Do it.
At the end of the day when you come to look back on your life you can be confident that you are fulfilled because you have pushed yourself to your limits, seen what kind of person you are come out on top.
So in conclusion there is no reason for anyone to join the Legion, but if you're the kind of guy who wants to reach his potential then I'm sure there aren't many other places that will test you as much as La Legion.
>>
>>1059621
Not enough motivation for the FFL and if you can't handle 3 years before being posted you probably don't want to be in the military anyways. Don't bother joining, you'll just desert. When you do don't bring your weapon or they have permission to shoot to kill.
>>
>>1059609
I heard that you aren't required to know any French language. How fucked are you if you go in without knowing?
>>
>>1060452
All the instructions are in French so if you don't understand basic French you would be clueless most of the time. Even though they have French class they expect you to pick up the language in a very short amount of time. If you can learn it before you get there, you will be one very large stride ahead.
>>
>>1059572
Often heard they turn down people that have 0 military experience. They get quite a bit of guys there.

I personally don't feel like you're motivated enough. Have you ever been hungry, entirely sleep deprived, or slept undera bridge during winter? Because expect those radical environments and conditions for the next 5 years of your life.

Like I said, you can pass everything to get in but still get booted because not great physical standard/no military experience. Was thinking about going myself because of my own reasons, but chances are they won't take me for shit being that I don't have military experience.
>>
I wrote this here a long time ago but I have a cousin who was killed in the FFL. He left Poland when he was young and the family didn't know where he went. He came from a large dysfunctional family, I think his parents had like 10 kids. The next time they've seen him he was in a casket and apparently at the local morgue they were told he had holes in his body (bullets?). There was some letter from the French government and they pieced it all together.

Joining the military is not a good way to travel. I'm not saying what happened to my cousin will happen to you. There's just many shitty aspects that most people don't know about and few real positives.
>>
Yeah, I probably won't be joining. There are better ways to travel than war, try the UN, USAID is pretty easy, Peace Corps, even missionary work. The FFL sounds like PTSD fuel.
>>
>>1060556
>I heard it's hard, so you probably shouldn't try

Fuck that noise, follow your dreams. You can't win if you don't play. I'm a firefighter, this job was a pain the ass to get. But all that talk about "you have to know somebody to get a job" is just what losers say after they give up. Fuck giving up.
>>
>>1060593
Actually, that "noise" that you wish to "fuck" is a fairly strict requirement of having previous military experience because the French Foreign Legion has attracted so many non-militant degenerates who can't speak French in the past. FFL has no shortage of potential recruits and they will turn away candidates who are not ideal.
>>
>>1060593
>>1060596
^This exactly. If he wants to try and make it in with no military experience, he can try and enlist during the winter.

I seriously don't see anybody making it in otherwise without being in insane shape. They want to recruit expendable troops at the lowest cost possible. They want you to go through with as much ease as possible. Therefore somebody who has already gone through the trials and hardships in another military has a better chance of offering something to the FFL than somebody who lost their job and is looking for a handout.

Op probably isn't old enough to join his military. He can then go and join the FFL after serving a term and increasing what he has to offer to the FFL. Will give him some real time and insight to think on whether or not he wants to throw 5 years of his life to the FFL.
>>
>>1060652
> Isn't too old to join his military*
>>
>>1060596
They actually prefer you not have military experience due to you seeing the difference in the FFL and your military, often times your military being better and not constantly putting you in shit conditions, which means you have a higher chance of deserting the FFL, which they don't want.
>>
>>1060802
People know what they're getting into with the FFL, at least those with military experience. They realize what that 5 year contract means. Civvies generally have never experienced any tough conditions their entire life. If anything, tma civvie will more than likely desert.
>>
>>1059572
I don't know how to tell you this man, but the FFL isn't what you think it is. They pretty much exclusively let in people who already have military service. It's a highly exclusive, small unit. The FFL comprising a massive band of rag tag misfits simply doesn't exist anymore.
>>
>>1060822
Well if you're from any first world westernized country being in the military previously will only hurt you.
If you're from some African, Slavic or Indian shit hole country they mostly won't give a Fuck either way depending on which one you are. Most people from shit countries don't desert one of the few options to get out of that shit hole country. Americans are generally frowned upon in general for their "freedom" compared to other countries.

My info is a bit outdated though, maybe a decade. Where I work gets a lot of military members, one of our chefs was in the FFL and learned to cook in there. He didn't leave his kitchen for 8 months worrying the relief would Fuck it up. This guy wouldn't even let you close a box the wrong way, but I'd be a liar saying his food wasn't top notch.
>>
>>1059572
If you are looking for adventure just remember that those 5 years won't be like backpacking or roaming the world. You will be moving as a professional soldier. It will be more like having 5 years of seeing the FFL than seeing the world, you will be watched closely and considered government property.

You are also from India, so you might kind of see the ups and downs of some of the people you may kill. Yes, kill. That will be your job. It may be the right thing to do, or the wrong thing to do, but that is what you are paid to do at the end of the day.

I get the impression you would be better off finding an FFL forum than asking here though. I've read about the FFL a few times out of interest and there seems to be a lot of conflicting information out there.
>>
>>1059572
I thought I already posted this but it's not here.

You need to take this up on /k/, it's practically a meme there. They have at least one regular poster who did FFL boot camp but then dropped out. Just be polite, they get this question every week.
>>
File: tumblr_minndadn271qiotbqo4_250.gif (874 KB, 245x269) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_minndadn271qiotbqo4_250.gif
874 KB, 245x269
>>1059572
Give it a try! If they wont accept you, at least you will have a nice trip to France. Paris is beautiful.
>>
i got my degree in biomedical engineering, but not in great physical shape, 26, and don't speak french.

If I learn french, will that degree, give me a leg-up if i try to join?
>>
>>1061519
assuming i pass the basic trainin
>>
>>1061520
You get accepted before you go to training. They give you a mental and basic intelligence test to make sure you're not suicidal crazy or a complete retard. Knowing at least some French helps and will be in your favour compared to someone who doesn't know any.
Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.