[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
SUV Camper
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /trv/ - Travel

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 6
File: suv.jpg (89 KB, 717x478) Image search: [Google]
suv.jpg
89 KB, 717x478
I'm getting a SUV soon that I'd like to use for extended travels, by myself. I plan to put down or take out all the rear seating and turn the back of it into a little camper area, with space for a small mattress or sleeping bag, window covers, some shelving, etc. What people do with vans, except in the limited space of a SUV.

Any recommendations on what I should try doing here? Recommended vehicles?
>>
>>1059539
I've always had the idea of doing that with a proper 4x4. Set it up for proper offroading, throw a solar panel on top, a fridge, laptop charger and cooker in the back and then just drive off INNAWOODS and set up by some remote lake until my food runs out and I can't catch anymore then head back to work. Rinse and repeat.
>>
>>1059691
How would you get the power for the fridge?
>>
>>1059539
I would suggest a late model ford exclusion or Chevy Tahoe and extended bed where it is either flat or the hardware that hold the rear seats can relative easily be unbolted. You might also want to think of a used cargo van, yeah creepy as fuck but cheap, easy to repair, and incredibly versatile to make the interior fit your needs (rape) or otherwise
>>
File: GOPR0007 (2).jpg (4 MB, 3840x2880) Image search: [Google]
GOPR0007 (2).jpg
4 MB, 3840x2880
>>1059539
Truly ask yourself why you want an SUV and not a van.

I have been van living/traveling for over 2 years now and there isnt an SUV on the market that I would find nearly as useful. Ive meet plenty of people who travel in SUVs, it can be done but forgot shelving or fancy storage. You'll be living out of a couple bags that you have to shuffle to the front when you want to sleep. My girlfriend and I traveled in a honda CRV for a couple weeks prior to the van and found it much easier to just sleep in a tent.

Vans are cheaper, more spacious, often cheaper to repair and upkeep. If you are stoked on 4x4 and the whole slightly smaller thing, go AWD Astro.
>>
>>1059539
Not trying to discourage adventuring by any means. Do whatever your going to do and have a fricken ball doing it. It is just a lot lot easier in a van with basically no drawbacks.
>>
File: 23.jpg (195 KB, 1200x900) Image search: [Google]
23.jpg
195 KB, 1200x900
>>1060937
I understand. Without explaining the circumstances, it's too late. I have a SUV and not a van. I'll have to make do. On the upside, it's easier to drive around and maneuver than a van. Might get a roof tent like pic related. It will be interesting.

Are you the guy who posted the thread a while back when your van broke down and you had to wait for a part to arrive? Also, how do you get internet?
>>
>>1060938
Score on SUV. I wont cut down on anybody adventuring.
Roof rack tents are rad but super pricey. They are awesome though, Only drawback is you cant really stealth camp with one if needed. If you dont see that as a problem, I would recommend that.

And negative. I dont stop in here too often. I have had amazing luck with my van, Mechanically and parts availability wise. You can find old chevy parts everywhere in America.

As far as internet, I mostly just play on my smart phone. I carry a laptop with me but only really use it when there is a public wifi or while visiting friends/family. Smart phone can do most everything and is really worth the cash when you factor in GPS and whatnot.
>>
>>1059727
A small, well-insulated fridge can easily be powered by a solar panel.
>>
File: update-back-use.jpg (237 KB, 640x523) Image search: [Google]
update-back-use.jpg
237 KB, 640x523
I've done this on a fee road trips in the back of my Subaru wagon. It's obviously not as comfortable as an SUV/van but it works. It's nice to be able to pull over and sleep somewhere for the night without really having to set up camp. It was my ski trip vehicle. I'm broke right now but I want to get a ford transit connect with AWD and pimp it out like pic related.
>>
>>1061023
Link to the fridge you have in mind?
>>
>>1061143
I doubt this is correct.

I have a big cooler and freeze three 1-gallon water jugs and it can stay 40 degrees F for a week. One trick is to use your bedding to cover it during the day.
>>
File: U1100 B0979.jpg (94 KB, 800x600) Image search: [Google]
U1100 B0979.jpg
94 KB, 800x600
>>1060930
>there isnt an SUV on the market that I would find nearly as useful
Not OP here.
This is true, but I love mountain camping, and the Astro doesn't have enough ground clearance to get around without rocks wrecking it's underside. Even my small SUV doesn't.

I'm thinking about building a dedicated truck for this.

One day I will be able to afford this thing.
>>
I'm from Germoney and want to drive the old Silk Road in one or two years. I think I'll get an old Landie or Mercedes G-Class, any experiences with that? Supposed to be a two-man-trip.
>>
>>1061550
How much would that beast cost?
>>
>>1059539
Just get a camper van and convert it to stealth camper.

Solar shower
Solar Panel
Propane Stove
Whatever toilet you are comfortable with
BEST BED(very important)
Cooler with ice packs/propane mini fridge and freezer
Buddy Heater (propane)
New hoses and holding tanks(you can't shit on the street)
Lots of wood and bungee cord(for storage and stability)
Good battery bank (cell tower batteries are top)
Inverter
Money to fix anything that breaks.
>>
>Recommended vehicles?

I don't recommend a Subaru Forrester. They are too damn small for what you want.
>>
Also, be ready to winterize your setup.

Seriously, it is very important. Been on the road in my Class A for 2 years now. Even deserts get freezing temps.
>>
>>1061819
Newer or older model foresters?
Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.