[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Here's the deal /trv/, I'm an aspiring zoologist looking
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /trv/ - Travel

Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 3
File: vol-elephants.jpg (68 KB, 600x400) Image search: [Google]
vol-elephants.jpg
68 KB, 600x400
Here's the deal /trv/,

I'm an aspiring zoologist looking to get a volunteer/internship position for my eventual resume. While I've already sent emails to hundreds of organizations and projects across the globe, I haven't had much luck. Does anyone here know of some good opportunities to **shudder** work abroad? Yes, I know the phrase is cringy beyond measurement, but I need a good resume.

My checklist is simple:

1. The less "white", the better. I ain't no elephant orphanage faggot.

2. Has to involve hands-on work as a field zoologist. I've already done plenty of weed pulling and tree planting.

3. Preferably an unpopular country. Sketchy countries and situations don't freak me out a lot, so I'd sooner go to Liberia than Costa Rica.
>>
>>1059473
My ex and I really enjoyed working with Free The Bears in Phnom Penh. Probably not what you're looking for though (I'm guess it would be too white)

She was a vet student and I'm a med student so we got to do some cool hands-on work (assisting the evaluation, investigation and management of a bear with a fractured hip, minor dental work) but most of it was unskillled labour (sweeping up shit, preparing enrichment activities, preparing meals etc). Really did feel like you were significantly helping the operation of the charity though.
>>
File: SunBear.jpg (14 KB, 236x214) Image search: [Google]
SunBear.jpg
14 KB, 236x214
>>1059680

Hey man, that sounds exactly what I'm looking for- I'll check it out! Even if it's run by white people, it sounds pretty legit.
>>
>>1059680
Never heard of 'Free the Bears,' but I'll chime in that anything you can do that is in any ay helpful to Cambodia is well worth doing. Great people who have been handed the short end o the stick way too many times.
>>
>>1059832

Already have. Now I'm asking people who know countries.
>>
>>1059788

This is true. My local youth pastor runs operation around the world, and he says Cambodia is his favorite
>>
>>1059835

*operations

Apparently "Operation Around the World" is related to Mormonism....My bad.
>>
>The less "white", the better.

Pathetic, fuck off.
>>
>>1059788
>Free the Bears
>Cambodia
Be aware that 99% or more of all volontourism in Cambodia is a racket. You are doing nothing worthwhile for the country apart from bringing your dollars to a poorer place.

>My local youth pastor
Fuck you Amerifat! Get your heeb superstition somewhere else and don't spread your christfag memes to a predominantly Buddhist country. You have 3 million tonnes of bombs and 250.000 airplane sorties and the rise of the Khmer Rouge to atone for before you misguided cunts can even dream about doing anything for this country. Stay in Shitsville.

Source: Me, Phnom Penh anon.
>>
>>1059835
>>1059871
>>
>>1059871
How do you propose anon atone for the actions of his ancestors without doing anything for your adopted country?
>>
>>1059935
>meeh
Correct the structure of your sentence and I might respond. Might not.
>>
>>1060001

The autism is great with this one. OP wants to volunteer to work for a charity, and he's selfish because he personally KNOWS a youth pastor.
>>
>>1059780
It really is super legit. The sanctuary came first, then the opportunities for volunteering came later to support it - it's not one of the places built purely to provide rich westerners the opportunity to feel good about themselves. A lot of free the bears work is done out of sight, lobbying the government etc but you won't see any of that as a volunteer. I assume there's probably some mild corruption as with literally anything else in Cambodia but that's inevitable.

Enjoyable set up for the volunteers. There's usually a few of you hosted in some house a short drive away from the sanctuary. Pool table, swimming pool, cute dogs and cats running around. We spent most of our evenings tiredly talking shit with the other volunteers. Not 5* but more than adequate. They have a little old Khmer lady staying at the house as a chef / cleaner and the meals are pretty decent. Oh and they provide all the rehydration solution you can carry - trust me, that's fucking essential.

>>1059871
>Be aware that 99% or more of all volontourism in Cambodia is a racket. You are doing nothing worthwhile for the country apart from bringing your dollars to a poorer place.
True with a lot of volunteer opportunities in Cambodia but not Free The Bears. I mean, you're not doing much for the country as a whole but you are helping the bears A LOT. There is some benefit to the Cambodian people (they work with the gov and other NGOs to provide alternatives to the bear bile trade, they focus on training locals for most of the skilled or semi-skilled positions, etc) but that's not the main reason for the charity
>>
>>1060072

Holy cow this place sounds awesome! Unless more suggestions come forward, you've given me a winner anon!
>>
>>1060019
Meeh. The christfag indoctrination is strong here.
First you drop bombs. Then you drop oblivious shirted and tied missionaries. All the same colonisation.

Fuck you Amerifats. Fuck you forever.
>>
>>1059473
>elephant orphanage
Maybe nearly as bad but I met a Cali ecologist student doing an intern year at the tiger temple. She was a qt3.14 but man, she had an insane number of scratches and scars on her hands.
>>
>>1060119
I forgot to say that I she mostly spent her time raising tiger cubs.
>>
>>1060109
I don't want to oversell it though. Vast majority of e work was unskilled.
>Early morning. Breakfast. Group jeep to the sanctuary and either sweeping up shit or sliding trays of porridge into the bears feeding cages (yes bears eat porridge)
>Morning duties. Anything from weaving heavy duty hammocks for the bears, preparing enrichment devices, painting new enclosures, preparing fruit and other food.
>Lunch. Wander over to the food stalls with the other vlunteers. talk shit and try not to have your food stolen by the monkeys while you eat. Long lunch because it's too fucking hot to work in the middle of the day.
>Afternoon duties. Same as morning.+ feeding bears.
>Jeep back to the accommodation. Kill time until dinner. Dinner. Kill time until you get tired and go to bed. Evenings were decent. Pool table, swimming pool, board games, movies, music, company, all enough to have a good time. 10/10 cute kittens. Very limited internet access. Basically enough for checking emails and facebook.
>>
>>1060669

Still sold.
>>
File: _00_0405.jpg (2 MB, 2144x2848) Image search: [Google]
_00_0405.jpg
2 MB, 2144x2848
>>1060120
pic related
Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.