[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Hey /trv/, I'm planning to go on a trip to Mexico City
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /trv/ - Travel

Thread replies: 65
Thread images: 4
File: Germany_Mexico_Locator.png (64 KB, 1425x625) Image search: [Google]
Germany_Mexico_Locator.png
64 KB, 1425x625
Hey /trv/,

I'm planning to go on a trip to Mexico City in march. Where do I get cheap flights from Germany? Is Air Iberia to be recommended? Any tips for picking a hotel? What should I avoid at all costs? Oh, and what should I definitly visit when I'm there? General tips are appreciated
>>
File: Just Fuck My Shit Up.jpg (189 KB, 1296x720) Image search: [Google]
Just Fuck My Shit Up.jpg
189 KB, 1296x720
>>1059069
Anyone have any suggestions for things people can do in Mexico City from 9 pm to 6 am ?

Huge ass layover there.
>>
>>1059069
>What should I avoid at all costs?
Hail a taxi on the street, calling for a taxi, and using any public transportation. At. All. Use your hotel and the more expensive drivers and cars they have vetted. A local guide for the day to go around town would be a great idea if you are alone and the tall light skinned person.

Everything in a basic guidebook is indeed all the highlights. Where you want to stay depends on your restaurant desires, i'd say. The park has terrific museums, they're not overrated, nor is the zoo or the castle.

The best restaurant for really good indigenous food is Fonda de Refugio (while you're in the zona rosa). There are probably a good 2 dozen world class chefs with hot and amazing restaurants right now there. Get a several course meal with wine for like USD$20-30 and eat all night for nothing. If you want to do the famous San Angel Inn (and you should for historical reasons), there's a great Frida museum right next to it now.
>>
>>1059134
>Local guide
I'm visiting a friend, I think I got that covered.
Why no public transportation?
>>
>>1059127
Get murdered
>>
>>1059374
>Why no public transportation?
Not to sound negative, but the organized crime is pretty rampant and connected just by spotting targets.
>>
>>1059374
You can use Uber. Are you the anon that posts his friend's chat in spanish on mexithreads back at /b/?
>>
>>1059503
From what I've heard from backpackers and some friends who lived there for some years, the city and public transport seem to be pretty safe, but according to our ministry of foreign relations I should pack a plate carrier and a G36. People tend to talk a lot of bull about this country. I got recommended to use registered taxis to get around, isn't that a good idea? I'm not rich, mind you, so hotel drivers probably won't be an option for me.
>>1059604
Nope.
>>
Its not that dangerous OP. Avoid looking too much like a retarded tourist, stay off poorly lit streets at night, and dont carry all your money/passport/etc with you all the time.
Public transport is pretty safe during the day from what I used of it. Obv theres going to be pickpockets but just stay alert.
In the crowded tourist spots just make sure your valuables are in your front pockets and keep your eyes open. dont get drawn into conversation with sketchy characters.
People reallly exaggerate the dangerousness of Cd. Mexico. Youre far more likely to get pickpocketed than any sort of actual violent crime, as long as you have common sense.

Attractions: Zocalo and the cathedral are def both worth a visit, but wont take too much time.
The Anthropology museum is fucking incredible. If theres only one thing you see in the city, this should be it. Expect to spend like 3-6hrs there. Its big. Also its in Parque Chapultepec so you could plan a whole day visiting the sights around the area, although one day really isnt enough.
>>
>>1059069
Funny. I will be in Germany in march from Mexico. If you need tips advices and anything for travel security and other stuff bump this thread
>>
>>1059651
Just avoid being an unprepared tourist. Take precautions. Speak spanish if you can.
>>
>>1059699
I'll take anything I can get. Oh and ask away for questions about Germany
>>
>>1059702
As anons have said. Pay for "sitio de taxis", private taxis like Uber or drive with your friend and host. Avoid flash money and valuable things. Use deposit safe box inside room. Ask for card terminal to be in front of you when paying by credit or debit card to avoid fraud cloning card. I will be in Dus airport, any advice there? Also I am buying train ticket trough Bahn. Are they very puntual? In october 2014 they almost fuck my previous travel, good thing I rented from Hertz
>>
>>1059704
>DUS
It has a good connection to public transport and the Autobahn. You mentioned Hertz, so you'll have a car? Enjoy the no speed limit when it exists. The Bahn is sometimes punctual, but not as much as foreigners believe.
>>
>>1059706
In October 2014 I landed during their strike in all Gemany. I wanted to use the train to save money so I didnt have a choice than rent a car. It was great to drive in high quality public free toll roads. Even private fee toll roads here in Mexico are shit in quality. Any questions for food, etc? I saw that you were asking about hotel. Make reservation trough official hotel website and/or Booking. Semana Santa is big in Mexico book a room earlier. Are train stations open 24/7? Or depends?
>>
>>1059707
>Food
What should I try, what should I avoid? No drinking tap water, right? Which is safe to do here btw.
>Our trainstations
Well in the countryside you won't find anyone at the counter in certain times and trains won't be coming (If there is a counter). Bigger stations are open 24/7, but not always. Trains are available there at all times. Cars are best for getting around though, you'll be more autonomous, especially if there's a strike again.
>My Hotel
I booked everything at the travel agent's today for 1700€.
>>
>>1059713
I will be using Dus Airport train station that I need to take the Skytrain and Osnabruck Hbf. You should try enchiladas, tlayudas, REAL TACOS not those fake things from USA. Yes I hope they dont go to strike again...
>>
>>1059714
>Yes I hope they dont go to strike again...
I hope the pilots don't go either...
>>
>>1059717
I will fly with Iberia. 15000 mxn roundtrip. Lufthansa fucked with me this year. Never again, I was also lucky during 2014. Mate, your sindicates live in glory if compared with real exploited force labor in Mexico
>>
>>1059719
>Iberia
Oh. Have fun.

>Mate, your sindicates live in glory if compared with real exploited force labor in Mexico

The pilots were angry about their retirement age of 55...when the rest of us retires at 67
>>
>>1059721
Is Iberia bad? Or was a neutral comment? Why using travel agency instead of yourself? I recommend also trying good tequila and mezcal, pozole, tostadas, tortas ahogadas, cabrito, tamales, iguana, grillos, etc. Just be open for our local food. I guess u are not interested in try bland fast food. Any brand of beer or wine that I should try in Germany? Last time I couldnt cause I was driving.
>>
File: IMG_20151214_131958_707.jpg (3 MB, 3264x1836) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20151214_131958_707.jpg
3 MB, 3264x1836
>>1059713
Water is potable in cities just avoid street food vendors. They dobt wash their hand neither have WC in the street. But you can play safe. Comida corrida here, still working.
>>
>>1059069
Mootxican living in good ol' Deutschland here.

I find that Airfrance / KLM usually have the best deals. Sometimes Delta / Iberia have better prices. Cheapest flight I've had to Tampico (a small airport within Mexico) was 700 bucks, and was booked through expedia with KLM. This is about 13,500 MXN, and bear in mind it was to a small-fry airport no one gives a shit about. Direct flights to Mexico city can be had for cheaper. Right now I am seeing some flights for 628 eur through Airfrance / Aeromexico in march.

>>1059651
The metro is safe, just be mindful of your backpack if you have any, there might be some pickpockets and shit gets PACKED during commuting hours. Cabs in the street might try to rip you off at best, and rarely set you up for a robbery. The ones you call from 'bases' and Uber are way way way safer since there is accountability and they don't pull that shit up.

>>1059724
German beers are good but overrated. Personally my poison of choice are: Flensburger / Berliner Pilsner / Warsteiner. The problem is that a few centuries ago they had these purity laws that condemned the german beers to a very limited set of ingredients, so there is not that much variety as the market is used to a narrower range of flavors.
>>
>>1059724
Yeah Iberia is pretty bad, but the only airline that flies to Mexico on a regular basis. Their service is supposed to be shit and the planes aren't well maintained.

I used the travel agency, because we know the owner and I don't trust the internet with such amounts of money.

>Beer/Wine
Okay for beer you should try Veltins, Astra, Bitburger, and I'd recommend to taste some Alt, Weizen and maybe Kölsch (Try to get your hands on Mühlen Kölsch). I can't recommend any Brand for Alt and Weizen, because I'm not that much into these. You'd have to ask someone else for the wine, I'm not a wine fan, sorry

I'm looking forward to the Mexican food. How can I tell if it's spicy beforehand?
>>
>>1059737
> I'm looking forward to the Mexican food. How can I tell if it's spicy beforehand?

Alright... some general guidelines:

- Always sample the hot sauce. Put a dollop / drop in your finger and taste it beforehand every time.

- The color of the sauce has no impact on hotness, or flavor.

If you have no tolerance at all, you might as well ask whether or not the food has chili, and avoid the one that has chili by default as it can be too spicy for you. Some people in Mexico cannot perceive low spiciness levels at all. You can usually add sauce afterwards in most popular / traditional places anyway.

Beware of habanero, piquin, serrano and some jalapeño chilies. Chipotle and poblano peppers are usually tasty, so do eat foods with them.
>>
>>1059736
Use padlocks in your badpack. I use them everyday
>>
>>1059739
Try homemade esquites. Or from a real well vendor. Esquites produced by lazy chain restaurants are so lame
>>
>>1059069
Do not buy drugs neother engage in risky business
>>
>>1059737
Well be my first time with Iberia. I have usef AA, United, Lufthansa, LAN and Aeromexico in international flights. Do they have touch screen TV in each seat?
>>
>>1059932
I have no idea, mate. You should google that. I don't think they have that though
>>
File: IMG_20151215_101919_637.jpg (1 MB, 1836x3264) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20151215_101919_637.jpg
1 MB, 1836x3264
>>1059739
Sharing red salsa for you germanon
>>
>>1059739
Here

>>1059759
>>1059740
>>1059947
How come you guys mistook me for OP? I was merely giving him some salsa guidelines. I am as Mootxican as they come, cabrones.

By the way, I am flying from Germany to Mexico precisely tomorrow :3. I am just finishing packing my shit up. Can't wait to have tacos al pastor with avocado sauce and pickled habaneros, carne asada, and the simple wonder that is black refried beans with fresh cheese in a wheat tortilla. If I return with the same weight, I will have failed.
>>
>>1059973
Well do you have a mentañ illness to be willing to gain weight? Why? Mexibot here also. Y pues llevate algo de tequila. Estudias posgrado o andas trabajando allá?
>>
>>1059997
Well they don't have proper Mexican food here and I miss the real deal a whole fucking lot. The most common "mexican" food is a german adaptation of the american adaptation of mexican food, so it's quite far from authentic. It also happens that I am from Tampico, over there we get shit from the north of the country, from the center through the Huasteca region, and from the sea... so we have a big variety, food-wise. I have a long list of shit I intend to eat in the 3 and a half weeks i'm gonna be there.

Estoy chambeando, ya llevo pasadito del año pero se me hace que namas voy a estar aqui uno mas, y luego le rumbo para otro lado, igual y al gabacho, mas que nada por la cercania geografica y cultural. Europa esta chido, pero no es para todos. Esto de la multiculturalidad de pronto esta de hueva.
>>
>>1060013
Grrmany accepting muslims sandniggers will fuck up their country. Even DUS airport has a praying room for men and women. Suerte carnal y sí si adaptan la mierda de USA a lo de ellos... Mierda de mierda da mierda
>>
>>1060027
>Even DUS airport has a praying room for men and women.

It has come this far with my country already? Good god... It's time for a removal. Or I'll just move to Mexico.
>>
>>1060029
Well, german leaders are trying to be weak cowards by allowing and promoting correctness. All EU should ban and deny entry for muslims sandniggers, not all are crazy idiots. Also, they arrested a fucking suspect to recruit meat cannom for ISIS at DUS airport.
>>
>>1060029
You are welcome to Mexico. I can advice you if needed. Any serious intention to move into Mexico?
>>
>>1060204
I want to study there maybe, but I'll mainly go for my gf. UNAM is supposed to be good
>>
>>1060207
Its meh tier. Other colleges are better in infrastructure and stuff. How did you get gf across the pond?
>>
see el chapo
>>
>>1060327
Friend of mine was fed up with me being single and the only virgin in the group so they signed me up for meetme behind my back and this girl texted me. Went pretty fast from then on. We're now together for almost 6 months
>>
>>1060497
>together 6 months

Youd better get laid lolol
>>
>>1060499
This. If you havent fucked fingered and other sex intimacy acts you are a failed germanon
>>
>>1060497
Are u still virgin? If yes then having a gf has not allowed u to release cum un her hot tight vagina
>>
>>1060207
Wht not ITESM? Also, have you started to look for the permissions and stuff. Can you speak, write and understand spanish? Btw, is Maritim hotel at DUS airport a good option for layover? Or Sheraton is better?
>>
>>1059737
>>1059724

I flew Iberia a few days ago on a trip to Colombia, half of their long-range planes are old and very badly mantained, while the other half are new and nicely cleaned.

I was lucky to go on one of those new planes, and i got to say that wasn't as bad as expected, as the entretainment system was the best by far on any airline i flew, but the seats were hard and the food (and on any other airline in economy) was crap.
>>
>>1061832
Where did you go? Europe? Arrived at T4S and then to T4?
>>
>>1059374
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2011_San_Fernando_massacre#Massacre
>>
Lufthansa will almost always be the cheapest if you're a student/youth
>>
>>1062781
Flights were double with them. Also fuckers ruined my November trip by their strike
>>
>>1062773
That happens in heavy zones used by illegals and drug trafficking. Mate, just avoid publuc trabsport inside cities and just use first class like ADO
>>
>>1060029
Germany has killed EU future. I will visit your country before its finally ruined. U see that it will be cold like 7 C in March
>>
>>1062773
We kill everyday. Also we have 25 missing eveeyday in the country. They are not dead neither kidnapped
>>
>>1062781
Its bad when a fucking turk girl takes away her shoes in the plane. FFS they should made ilegall to take away shoes boots or whatever
>>
>>1060013
Una Europa llena de refugiados es una mierda
>>
>>1060207
Be careful in UNAM cause there is a lot of robberies and drug trade and some kidnappings also. Better be sure by speaking and understanding Spanish if not people will try to take advantage of you
>>
>>1059069
Has Germanon abandoned his own thread?
>>
>>1061358
top kek, ITESM is for gays, fuck you beta mexican
>>
>>1063490
false, this is the typical answer of a coward pussy spoiled mexicunt
>>
>>1062961
Tu cerebro lleno de ignorancia es una mierda
>>
>>1064183
ITESM has a very good ranking among universities and you have several advatanges of private education. Besides, you can apply for a scholarship.
>>
>>1064377
top kek, reality is much different to nitpicking rankings. ITESM quality is shit, more so considering high tuition fees. professors talk shit about their students and even "the best" students are not at the level of other places like ITAM, CIDE, UNAM, IPN, etc. ITESM-cuck final veredict
>>
>>1059127
>things people can do in Mexico City from 9 pm to 6 am

You mean like getting murdered? right?
>>
>>1059127
Just eat at Wings. Dont leave airport premises
Thread replies: 65
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.