[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Hey /trv/, I've always to travel to Tierra del Fuego and
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /trv/ - Travel

Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 3
File: NASA_Tierra_del_Fuego_image.jpg (2 MB, 2784x2057) Image search: [Google]
NASA_Tierra_del_Fuego_image.jpg
2 MB, 2784x2057
Hey /trv/, I've always to travel to Tierra del Fuego and Cape Horn, but I've not gone beyond the US before. Luckily, I've saved up about 3k for this trip. Anyone been there? Any idea on the costs? Hidden experiences?
>>
Also, should I consider the boat trip to Antarctica,or is that just a tourist trap?
>>
>>1058040
It's expensive and potentially rough seas to cross to Antarctica. But if you want to see Antarctica, it's your chance.

I understand there are plane trips out of Australia (?) iirc, don't know if there is something analogous.

>just a tourist trap

Not sure what you mean -- Niagara Falls is a natural wonder with tourist trap built all around it. Antarctica lacks salt water taffy shacks, t-shirts printed while you wait and theme bars.

It's Antarctica -- you know what it is, do you want t see it enough to pay for it and spend the time crossing,and does potential rocking and rolling on the boat turn you off at all?
>>
>>1058040
How do you feel about penguins, and birds in general? It's quite a trip for a bird-watcher.
>>
>>1058039
You may evaluate DAP airlines: they do charters on that area, including antartica.
Also, for Cape horn you can take cruises by Australis.
For what i remember, the costs were very high (so at the end i didn´t go there), but it´s worth for you to try it.
Even if you don´t go to Cape Horn or Antarctica, visiting Tierra del Fuego is a beautiful experience.
>>
>>1058048
Love bird watching, but I'm more in this trip to see the Horn, and the terrain. If its really good, could you pass on any good places or techniques?
>>1058073
Thanks for the heads up. I'll check out the rates.
>>1058041
I love being on the sea in storm. I'm weird like that. However, I do understand that Drake Passage is unlike any other water on Earth. And I meant that Antarctica is a tourist trap b/c all of the tour packages offered by trans-passage liners.
>>
>>1058039
I live in the cape horn province (Chile) in the city of puerto williams. From here you can go by helicopter or in a yacht, here there're a lot of good samaritans that can carry you to Cape horn island. (there're Americans with yacht too, if you feel more sure talking with patriots)
http://www.visitchile.com/en/cabo-de-hornos-national-park/
>>
>>1058100
Thanks for the info chilibro. Any other good places to go in TdF besides the Cape and ushuaia?
>>
OP, what time of year are you going in?
>>
>>1058039
A co-worker went to Tierra del Fuego not long ago and said it was astounding. She told me there's like a 3 day excursion on a boat where you go to Antartica and back. I think there's another where you just look at it from the boat.
>>
>>1058147
I'm hoping to go in February/March. I think that's late summer down there.
>>1058218
That's the trip to Antarctica I was talking about. I wanna know if it's worth it though.
>>
>>1058359
It's definitely worth it. Are you planning to explore anything in TDF besides the town?
>>
>>1058100
Cool, I'm doing the Dientes in january
>>
I really wanna go, but have no idea how to get there. Anyone know auto routes, airline routes, stuff like that?
>>
>>1059504
Not from chile or argentina but been there 2 times.

Auto routes might take you days but LAN flies about 5x per day and SKY Airlines about 3x per day from Santiago de Chile to Punta Arenas, from there you have either ships, buses or daily flights in small aircrafts to Puerto Williams.

Other way would be a flight from Buenos Aires to Ushuaia Lan and Aerolineas Argentinas and if you ever wanted to land at a meme airport here's your chance, it's literally called
>Ushuaia Malvinas Argentinas International Airport.
>>
File: 1393717157933.jpg (40 KB, 620x413) Image search: [Google]
1393717157933.jpg
40 KB, 620x413
>>Ushuaia Malvinas Argentinas International Airport.
>>1059528
Brilliant. What are the fare rates like? What did you see when you were down there?
>>
>>1058039
Good taste OP, South America in general doesn't get a lot of appreciation that it really should. I hope you find the knowledge you need.
>>
>>1059693
Second. South America is a wonderful travel continent.
>>
>>1059504
Cheapest way to get there is probably from argentina. If you get to chile we don't have a road from puerto montt to the south so you'll have to take the ferry. They say that the trip on water is quite pretty, but it is full during summer so you'll have to plan that shit well.
In argentina they have nice highways to the south and the cities are not abandoned because they got some oil money in those parts.
Also, you'll be pretty close to Torres del Paine.
>>
>>1059723
OP here, what's in Torres del Paine? Also, do you know if the ferry is pretty reasonable?
>>
>>1059723
Go down from Chile, then cross over
>>
>>1059686
Wasn't that expensive IIRC it was $280 for a return trip from Bs.As.

What I did see? A lot of stunning nature that is second to none.
>>
>>1060079
So you had a good time? Im glad for you bro. Also, tell me more senpai. Did you have a good time? Anything to recommend? What season did you/should I go?
>>
>>1058039
go dude
>>
Thanks for the info guys. I appreciate it.
>>
File: hgvcbvbv.jpg (202 KB, 790x551) Image search: [Google]
hgvcbvbv.jpg
202 KB, 790x551
>>1058039
This is the way that I do when a went. From Punta Arenas to Puerto Williams in a ferry that take 30hrs and you can see some glaciers and mountains of Cordillera de Darwin. From Puerto Williams to Cape Horn in a yacht that in the moment went too with tourist. If you go in January it is the summer season there, totally worth.
>>
>>1061560
Hmm, is there anything to do in Puerto Williams?
>>
>>1061560
How about in the winter? Im planning an adventure to SA (Chile and Argentina) in the summer (ie winter there) because thats the only time i can go. Hiking and Tierra del fuego interest me but what are the possiblities in local winter?
>>
>>1063242
It's very beautiful in the winter, but it's very cold too. Wrap up as if you were going to Alaska or Scandinavia.
Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.