[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Escapin hom
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /trv/ - Travel

Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 1
File: images.jpg (2 KB, 107x100) Image search: [Google]
images.jpg
2 KB, 107x100
I'm trying to save up enough money so I can go live and teach in a foreign country.

I've been sort of doing jack shit since graduating half a year ago and feel fucking lost in my home town.

I have about a thousand in cash. I was thinking of working really hard for a year while taking TEFL or TESOL classes. Doing odd jobs, working, and tutoring would hopefully let me be saved up after a year, I think.

I was wondering on how realistic this plan would be. I am thinking of moving to Taiwan or South Korea to go teach.

If this fails I was considering becoming a teacher back home, but I don't want to make that major commitment yet.

just wondering on general feasbility and tips about taking those classes and if anyone else has any expereince doing this sort of thing
>>
>>1057812
Go for TEFL not tesol
also , from where are you ?

teaching is foreign country is 100 % doable , dont blieve the meme makers here , that you need like shitton of degrees and stuff

not true

TAIWAN & South korea however are hard to get in if you dont have experience and stuff
better go for thailand , cambodja , vietnam or china (====
>>
>>1058722
Im from USA and am white. After some research I was interested in getting a celta. I already have a degree from a State University.

Would a in person CELTA give me enough experience to be decently paid to live and work in a different country.

I am not too picky about where I would go teach.
>>
>>1057812
ESLfag here, was in Korea before, now in Japan. Biggest piece of advice is to not worry about a TEFL/TESOL/CELTA... Generally speaking you won't need it just to get your foot in the door. A bachelor's degree in any discipline is pretty much all it takes. You DO have to do a 100hr TEFL course to teach in Korean public schools now, but online is good enough--definitely don't waste your time or money on in-class TEFL shit or anything more intensive than a 100hr online class.

>TAIWAN & South korea however are hard to get in if you dont have experience and stuff

It's quite easy to get at least a kind of crappy job in both countries, somewhat harder to get a decent job, especially now in Korea. If you shoot for Korea, public school is what you want. Don't bother with hagwons. Too large of a chance you'll get fucked. I recommend checking out Greenheart Travel for public school recruiting. While I ended up getting my Korea job through other means, I was in contact with them, and they seem like a very good agency.

http://greenhearttravel.org/program/adult/teach/teach-in-south-korea#overview You might also look into..

http://www.eslcafe.com/jobs/korea/index.cgi?read=65896

I doubt you can get hired for this spring at this point. Korea visas are a pain in the ass because you need to get a Federal level background check. You'll probably have to settle for fall 2016... According to the site, the app will be available in February. I'd get started as soon as it's available.

Basically a couple years ago, the Korean government cut back the foreign teachers in public schools greatly, it used to be much easier to get a job. But almost all Middle and High School positions are gone. Green heart recruits for EPIK, meaning if you go through them you'll be anywhere in Korea except Seoul or Seoul burbs/surroundings. The other program GEPIK (which I went through) places you in Seoul metro. SMOE (which I think is dead) was in Seoul directly.
>>
>>1058936
Same guy.

I was in a public junior high school in the Seoul suburbs Korea, and then a big private language school company in Tokyo (recently quit that and I'm taking a break in Japan now).

If you have any questions about applications for Japan or Korea jobs or about life doing either feel free to ask. I'll try to be impartial and honest. There is a lot of information on the internet, a lot of tinged (or saturated) with asspain and negativity.

Oh, as for Taiwan, I don't have experience in Taiwan but I did apply to a couple Taiwan jobs. http://tealit.com/ is the main source. Other than that, Dave's ESL.
>>
>>1058936
I read that in order to get an ideal placement in Korea in class practicum is required to teach in Seoul or Busan.

I was also wondering about what areas you taught in and what day to day life was like.
>>
Anyone have any recommendations on a tefl program. No shills plz.
Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.