[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Anyone here hitchiked/vagabonded in Australia before? Thinking
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /trv/ - Travel

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1
File: hitch_ait.jpg (58 KB, 375x281) Image search: [Google]
hitch_ait.jpg
58 KB, 375x281
Anyone here hitchiked/vagabonded in Australia before? Thinking of that Into The Wild lifestyle (before he goes to the woods and dies) but in the Australian outback and eastern coast.

I've done something somewhat similar in Europe, but was thinking of doing it with more train-hopping/camping.

Anyone info would be sweet.
>>
My mum hitched around Australia back in the 80's so I'll get some tips for you tomorrow when she's awake.
>>
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Backpacker_murders
>>
>>1057604
Carry PLENTY PLENTY PLENTY WATER, Because a fuckton of people don't realise how far it is between cities.

Plan your trip, pack accordingly, know what sort of roads you're going to be on, tell people where you're going.

Invest in a satellite phone.

She suggests don't go into the outback and stick to the cities unless you're doing some sort of tour.

Get some sort of personal protection. Keep a knife on your person and learn how to use.

Pack light, don't bring the kitchen sink.

Summertime is better than winter; you don't have to wear heavy clothes and light clothes can be easily washed and dry out fairly quickly.

Research our venomous/dangerous wildlife (snakes and spiders mainly) and take a first aid course so you know what to do if bitten/attacked.

Research the backpackers you're going to stay in, cause there are good/bad ones.

Essentially, just research research research where you're going, what's you're going to do in towns, what's happening in towns, (festivals and stuff).

That's all she can think of at the moment buddy.
>>
>>1057780
A knife's a bad idea, i'd sugggest an expandable baton so you don't have to get to know autralian's jails for piercing some dude's artery in a bar fight.
>>
>>1057780
thanks man, i have spent time up north in the desert areas, but in a more easy-going form of travel, caravans etc.
>>
Hitchiking is really easy in Australia. You'll have no problem finding some nice friendly older couple to pick you up and take you wherever you need to go. I wouldn't recommend doing it in the outback though because 1) there's fucking nothing out there and 2) the conditions are absolutely brutal. You will die out there if you aren't prepared. You'd have a better time going up the East or West coast.
>>
>>1057908
Extendable baton's are illegal in Australia, knives are not (if you can come up with a reason for carrying it that is NOT self-defense)
>>
>>1058406
>knives are not illegal
They are if a cop decides that they are (in Victoria anyway).

Brightly-coloured, see-through toy laser pistols are a firearm if cops decide they are. I know someone who was convicted and fined for having one in their boot coming back from a rave.

Absolutely anything that police decide is or can be used as, or can be mistaken for a weapon is illegal. The key criteria is that a cop has to decide that it meets the above description. If you're a private school kid from Toorak then you can carry a 12cm knife and it's fine because you might eat an apple with it. If you're a leftie from Fitzroy then you can be done for a keyring nailclipper and expect several hundred dollars in fines plus court costs, plus actually getting arrested of course.

Welcome to Australia, the worst country in Europe.
>>
>>1057618
>https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Backpacker_murders

This is a reminder that Milat probably didn't act alone and several other people were probably involved. Only his nephew was arrested for murdering someone later and the nephew probably wasn't involved in the original serial killings anyway.
>>
I HITCHED FROM MELBOURNE TO CAIRNGS
BRING
FUCK
LOADS
OF
WATER
AND A SWAG
AND SOME REPLACEMENT CLOTHES
AND HEAPS OF MUESLI BARS

AND YOU'RE SET M8
STOP IN AT TOWNS AND ROADHOUSES FOR FOOD
SLEEP IN THE BUSHES AND PUBLIC TOILETS

I MET A FEW CRAZIES BUT NOTHING TOO BAD
BRING A KNIFE OR SOMETHING SMALL LIKE THAT AND BE PREPARED TO KNIFE ANY CRAZY CUNTS
>>
hitched from sydney to melbourne
was pretty chill, stayed at a motel one night though
Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.