[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Working Holiday in Canada
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /trv/ - Travel

Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 2
File: Untitled.png (38 KB, 1280x1282) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.png
38 KB, 1280x1282
Hi all, I'm an Aussie looking to work in Canada sometime in 2016 and am trying to gather as much accurate info (and funds) as I can.
My problem is all the info I'm finding is pretty conflicting.
Some sources say to go with a company like Global Work & Travel Co, whereas some say they're a total scam and you're better off organising it yourself. Some sources also say applying for a working visa can take up to 4-5 years and you'll only be approved if you have savings of around $15,000 and a University Degree...
Whereas.. my friend works in Japan currently and applied as a spur of a moment thing with only around $5000 saved, was approved for a job in a hotel within the week and a month later he was working and living there. Has been for 2 years now.
I'm a little confused and deflated having never travelled overseas before I'm not sure what to think! Any info on living and working in Canada, especially as an Aussie, would be greatly appreciated!
>>
>Australian
>Wants to live and work in Canada

That's not even possible unless you've got a PHD and 15-20 years of work experience....and even then, it's not likely.

In Canada, we only accept people from third world countries to live and work here, even for a short period of time.
>>
>>1057506

Really? :( Not even in bars and the like? Surely that can't be right.
>>
>>1057506
Also, if so, how did a classmate of mine get a job in Canada being a bricklayer with no further education after Year 12 (apart from his brickie apprenticeship), at the age of 19?? He's been living there for 3 years now working on construction sites...
>>
>>1057509
>Not even in bars and the like? Surely that can't be right

The Canadian government doesn't want Non-Canadian citizens to come here and take jobs away from Canadian citizens. This includes bars and the like as well.

We only accept third-world retards so that we can cling to "progressive" and "egalitarian" ideals. Walk around any Canadian city, be it Toronto, Montreal, Vancouver, Alberta, Ottawa etc and all you'll see his third world immigrants fucking the whole country up.

It's not because Americans, Australians and Europeans aren't willing to live and work here, it's because THEY CAN'T.

Canada needs people to fill jobs in a growing country with a small population, but the government stipulates that only people from terrible third-world countries should be allowed to come here and work. It's really stupid, I know.

The only way an Aussie like yourself could get a job here is to have an advanced degree and a skill that is desperately needed here and that there is an extreme shortage of people capable of doing those jobs. So, since education/training has more or less become the same throughout the world, it's almost impossible to do even that.

If I were you, I would try to live and work somewhere in the USA instead of Canada. They're a little bit less retarded when it comes to immigration. If you really want to visit somewhere in Canada (and I'm not sure why you would, it's rather bland here compared to our Southern neighbors) then save up some money and spend a week or two on holiday up here. And since you're Australian, I would suggest waiting to do that until the summer comes, as winter is very rough up here and there's not much to do around town until the snow melts.
>>
>>1057511
>how did a classmate of mine get a job in Canada being a bricklayer with no further education after Year 12

Does he have Canadian citizenship?
Is he staying in/working in Canada illegally while being paid under the table?
Does he have some sort of connection that pulled some strings to get him in that position?
Is he lying about everything?

These are the only things I can think of really. Why don't you ask him directly?
>>
>>1057516
>only people from terrible third-world countries should be allowed to come here and work

Ahhh okay. Seems you're not fond on refugees but I don't mind if that's the case. I don't want to be taking jobs away from people who need them (whether they're refugees or local) just so I can have a long holiday. Do you have any links regarding this issue? I wasn't aware of Canada's immigration laws.
It worries me that places like Global Work & Travel Co. are charging people like me upwards of $1,500 to find them a job in Canada if there are none.. That's an outright scam isn't it?

As for U.S.A..... I'm not so sure about it. Canada appeals to me because I've never seen snow and the landscape seems beautiful. I'd definitely like to visit the U.S. but I think living there would increase my chances of dying in a mass shooting or something..

Is U.K. similar to Canada in it's immigration laws? Do you think I'd need a degree to get a bar job over there?
>>
>>1057518
I'm not sure I don't talk to him but you'd think if it were dodgey the government would be onto him by now. He's progressed in his career over there and seems quite happy and public about his life and career.
I can't say much about the semantics 'cause I just dont know sorry.
>>
>>1057523
>Do you have any links regarding this issue? I wasn't aware of Canada's immigration laws.

Just google it. You'll be able to find as many sources as I can from there. But, I can tell you that I know how it is here. What you're describing is virtually impossible to do other than for the odd exceptions here or there.

>It worries me that places like Global Work & Travel Co. are charging people like me upwards of $1,500 to find them a job in Canada if there are none.. That's an outright scam isn't it?

I'm not familiar with that site, so I can't help you with that.

>Canada appeals to me because I've never seen snow and the landscape seems beautiful

There's places with a lot of snow and scenery in the USA.

>I'd definitely like to visit the U.S. but I think living there would increase my chances of dying in a mass shooting or something.

Don't be silly.

>Is U.K. similar to Canada in it's immigration laws? Do you think I'd need a degree to get a bar job over there?

I don't know about the UK. Sorry.
>>
>>1057527
Thanks for your help.

Does anyone have any further info regarding working in Canada or the U.K.?
>>
>>1057534

Also just so people know what I'm on about this is the site I've been looking at that offers jobs in ski resorts etc for travellers.

>Global Work & Travel Co.
http://globalworkandtravel.com/working-holiday/canada/

There are mixed reviews. Some people saying they were hooked up with a job through them with no troubles and others saying they arrived jobless and were basically scammed.

Wondering if anyone has gone through them or know of anyone who's done any program similar?
>>
File: eligibility.png (136 KB, 1918x1018) Image search: [Google]
eligibility.png
136 KB, 1918x1018
Also, sorry to keep bumping my own thread but I came across this site

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/work/apply-who-eligible.asp

..and am wondering where it states on these eligibility requirements that you have to have a PhD with 15-20 years of work experience?
Would just like to find more info. Cheers :)
>>
>>1057485
You need a Canadian company to offer you a job and sponsor your work permit.

As >>1057506 already explained, that's basically impossible, unless you're super educated and experienced in a niche field.
>>
>>1057544
How old are you? If you are under 30 its not very difficult to get a working visa.
I've personally just recently got mine accepted and am going over there in april
>>
>>1057553
Can you explain, in detail, how this process works?

What are you planning to do for work, where are you from, what part of Canada are you going to be living in?
>>
>>1057553
Yes can you explain this is detail, and where are you from?
I'm 24 by the way.
>>
>>1057556
>>1057558
Im from Australia. Look into International Experience Canada (IEC). basic jist of it is you get a working permit for 2 years, but its only available if you are under 30

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/work/iec/
>>
>>1057552
And yes
>You need a Canadian company to offer you a job and sponsor your work permit.

I'm aware of that.
As for your second point I'm really looking for advice and info from people who have had the experience of working in Canada from abroad or have previously dealt with these "working holiday" companies personally. I'm not looking for peoples opinions on how it works as it's very confusing and really not helpful.
As I stated, if what you're saying is correct, please give me more info other than "google it". Cheers.
>>
>>1057562
Oh cool, I'm looking at that site right now. I'm trying to check my eligibility through the online quiz thing here:
http://www.cic.gc.ca/ctc-vac/getting-started.asp

But it keeps saying Service Temporarily Unavailable.
Is it a trustworthy site? What kind of job were you offered there may I ask?
>>
>>1057566
its an official gov site so it its trustworthy. I did go through stages where it was down, so just keep checking back.

Only thing they may finished taking in applicants for certain time period (i dont remember when submissions close and reopen).

Haven't got a job offered, as the working holiday option i am taking doesn't require you to have one lined up beforehand.
>>
>>1057574
Ah okay, no worries cheers.

Did you consider going through a company at all that offers to look for a job for you in exchange for a fee? And if you decided against it, why?
Just wondering if they're worth the money
>>
>>1057578
I did consider going through a company, but it kinda seemed a bit hit and miss in terms of value from what i read. Plus I've got enough savings to live off if i cant find a job straight away
Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.