[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What's /trv/'s opinion on him? His show?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /trv/ - Travel

Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 5
File: wpt_1355497631.jpg (77 KB, 640x320) Image search: [Google]
wpt_1355497631.jpg
77 KB, 640x320
What's /trv/'s opinion on him? His show?
>>
>>1057176
GOAT traveler. Not edgy, not pretentious.
>>
>>1057176
>What's /trv/'s opinion on him? His show?
I've never really seen anything much negative about him, other than the folks who kind of Real Traveler eschew all attempts of planning or guidebooks, in general. He's a nerdy geek, but he's sincere at what he does, of course. Maybe kind of bully level comments arise about his packing conservative clothing, such that one may appropriately visit religious sights without offense. That's about it.

His show is armchair travel, really. A great way to feel abroad without any real desire to do it. It's certainly not Bourdain's witty dialogues about food or political observations. About his books, though...
From personal experience, as a former airline brat an having enough disposable income in my life in my career life, his books can be pretty much the best for a few places, like cinque terra or ireland. I've gotten on planes with friends, literally everyone buying books pre-boarding in a standby kind of "where shall we go today?" idea, and from navigating in a car comparing everyone's guidebooks day to day, making choices, it's Rick that comes out on top for tips that are open and frank. Skip this, do that, and make sure you discover such and such by looking up at the ceiling when you're there, or going down a block to see a little known treasure. It's insider tips from whomever he has on the ground that helps him make his actual tours or edits his work. If I want the best foodie kind of trip, I might rank Fodors better on descriptions. It boggles my mind that someone like Steves doesn't focus on food, could be cheap as shit, or maybe no palate/picky eater? If I needed the latest boutique hotel, it'll be online TripAdvisor and all the travel/wine/airline magazine articles first, but Rick will have all the highlights there too. He has a fantastic walking tour available for some cities, where one can get the kind of narrative about each building a local architect or history major could provide.
>>
File: 1395690074261.jpg (103 KB, 420x240) Image search: [Google]
1395690074261.jpg
103 KB, 420x240
>>1057218
Great comment on his books but as to your point on food I think it's because Rick has never been a chef by profession, he can give stunning insight into history and music because that's what he did for a living. He'll never have the insight of food a chef has though.

Also I love Rick but his radio show leaves much to be desired. It's only an hour long and he seems to use like 3 topics a week when any one topic he could go into detail on and have it be fascinating. Also wish he was less Eurocentric. In one show he said India was his favorite place in the world but he didn't make content on it because Europe is where the money's at.
>>
>>1057176
Always tune in to pbs when nothing is on. Repeat episodes but hey at least I catch things I didn't see the first time. Chill guy.
>>
>>1057247
Sorry, I don't follow your logic, because although I've never been a chef by trade, but I've dined well my whole life. Being an epicure or foodie isn't about your skill in the kitchen or training at all, it's simply access to great things and an appreciation for them. James Beard was just a guy who liked food, and we give cookbook awards in his name. It's a little known fact his favorite food was onion sandwiches, but he could devour pate, caviar and all the slow foods of today with relish! At some point, as a frequent traveler (and certainly someone of Rick's experience that has done as much as he has esp as guests of local hosts), he's been introduced to a wide variety of wining and dining. He simply has some kind of simple style about him where he doesn't indulge in richer things on preference. He'll speak about them, but he doesn't seem to get much pleasure from them and doesn't write about them in the kind of manner of others.

I'm surprised to hear he loves India best of all, because I've heard him state Cinque Terre is his hands down favorite (in all of Europe). Really polar opposite kind of tastes if both are true. And, yes, he's euro-centric, he's kind of his trademark.

I don't think I could do radio Rick, his shows and books are great because it's not only his voice, but his actual voice bugs the heck out of me. He sounds Canadian in accent (WA I believe), and a little "sweet" or swishy. I've long felt like he was closeted and have to keep myself from inspecting crew during certain episodes for some telltale sign, and as a recent divorce attests, I wonder even more now about my instinct on him. Despite all that distraction, his advice is pretty solid.
>>
>>1057176
boring cucckold. there needs to be a show like 3 sheets but where the host is a deeply irresponsible, borderline-sociopathic alcoholic hedonist who just goes to cities and does drugs.
if steve-o did a travel program and wasnt sober... it would be the greatest thing ever.
>>
>>1057278
what are you like 15? I bet you read Vice and think you live on the edge.
>>
His shows are great and he also gives very good packing advice.

You can watch his shows on Hulu:
http://www.hulu.com/rick-steves-europe

I don't know anything about his books.
>>
>>1057218
>>1057247
I think food opinions run several risks. First, look at the reviews most restaurants get. They deal with every idiot under the sun, because every idiot has to eat, so offering food opinions and trying to catch a broad spectrum of people is difficult, dangerous, and dicey. And like you said: "His show is armchair travel, really," which means he does attract a significant number of travelers that take that 'big trip of a lifetime' and are not seasoned travelers or eaters, so he has to be extra careful.

The other thing is that food reviews and opinions that are more indepth or direct can quickly become dated or useless if you're not careful. Trends change, turnover is massive, new things pop up and if you don't mention them then people will get mad, etc. Food evolves in places. I know you can always expect to buy sushi in Japan, and you can cover that, but you have to be careful how deep you dig on many local issues, and you end up producing a guidebook using the safer choice of offering less indepth advice (keeps your information timely and applicable and safe).

>tl;dr: picky eaters and evolving restaurants/food
>>
File: news3-scroller.nar.jpg (34 KB, 299x218) Image search: [Google]
news3-scroller.nar.jpg
34 KB, 299x218
>>1057269
Sorry I didn't make my point clear. It's that I'm sure he appreciates good food and he probably has a strong pallet but he doesn't have enough expertise in the matter to write about food descriptively. He can say something like "so and so is to die for" or "the best pizza in Itally" but he might not have the knowledge to explain why these opinions are so in writing. I don't have that foodie knowledge either so I'm having a tough time explaining it.

>>1057278
I like to imagine Rick Steves is that kind of person. When the camera start rolling he puts down the coke and asks his hooker to wait off camera while he sobers up just long enough to say his lines then he staggers to the next location to do it again.
>>
>>1057287
well, im not 15... but the rest is pretty spot-on.
>>
>>1057278
>a show like 3 sheets
That guy could have been the next big thing if he didn't have that underlying kind of mocking superiority complex side to locals that were trying to show him a good time. Pretty realistic observations on drink culture and historical and scientific facts about it, that should stand the test of time, though.
>>
>>1057176
Haven't seen his show in many years, but appreciate several aspects of his guidebooks--his self-guided walking tours are really good. Much better than the ones in some Lonely Planet guides, for example. And he seems an agreeable guy who obviously has his own dream job.
>Bourdain on the other hand has always come across like an arrogant, not that smart schmuck to me. I find him completely unappealing.
>>
Kinda wish he would visit more obscure locations more often in his show, but he's good at what he does.
>>
>>1057278
>if steve-o did a travel program and wasnt sober..
Wild Boyz
>>
File: rudy-292x300.jpg (27 KB, 292x300) Image search: [Google]
rudy-292x300.jpg
27 KB, 292x300
The goat coming through

Puts rick steves to shame, really
>>
Yes the always unique and exciting Steve....Traversing through Europe for the trillionth time

What a douche

The fact that PBS funds this Eurocentric moron is sickening. His show belongs more for some kkk or nazi channel

The world has some many beautiful and exotic cultures yet this loser is stuck I. Europe and our money is going to support it

Hey loser..dork...dumb a s. S. Go to Asia (the largest fucking continent with so many current cultures etc) or South America

Perhaps the guy doesn't have the balls

Or just jealousy? lol...many Asian cities now look grand and spectacular while many of his precious European capitals are decaying
>>
>>1057517

butthurt gook detected
>>
>>1057382
>>Bourdain on the other hand has always come across like an arrogant, not that smart schmuck to me. I find him completely unappealing.
>>1057382
I get that he's arrogant, but "not that smart" impression? I don't get that impression of him. He's got some snarky and cynical thoughts about things,but I never really assume he's not highly intelligent.
>>
File: rick-steves-passport.jpg (20 KB, 225x243) Image search: [Google]
rick-steves-passport.jpg
20 KB, 225x243
>>1057517
Actually he largely funds it himself as a commercial for his tours and guidebooks then he gives it to PBS. If you listen to the radio show he sounds like he's been pretty much anywhere and everywhere but the reason the dude is able to give such good advise on Europe is because he has a shit ton of experience in Europe. He can't make an "Asia Through the Backdoor" because he hasn't spent 20 years trying to find the backdoor.
>>
>>1057176

Worth it. He gives good, general advice on Europe and I liked his TED talks. He comes off as pretty midwestern USA kind of guy. As with anything to do with good travel guides his stuff is a general guide and not a Buzzfeed-style checklist of go here, here, and here to have the greatest experience in travel ever. I like that he does give his opinion on various destinations.
Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.