[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Data/Phone
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /trv/ - Travel

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1
How do you guys manage data costs while abroad without spending too much? I know simcards with generous amounts of data are cheap in Russia, but is it like that elsewhere too?
>>
Step one: Unlock your self phone. Make sure it's GSM (sim card) or GSM capable

Step 2: Buy cheap prepaid sim card

I am in Bahrain now. I got a plan with Viva. Sim 2BD. 1BD of that went to the account. They have a prepaid plan of 2gb, unlimited Viva calls, 50 minutes free non-viva, and something else international (didn't pay attention because I'd use data for internatiinal calls through whatsapp or LINE.). Got the sim card Weds or Thurs. It's Saturday. I burned through the 2gb already. Do they cut it off? Nope. Just slow speeds from LTE. You can still do everything but stream/talk over data. 1BD = $2.65 on average. So I'm spending about $8 for 2 weeks.
>>
>>1057009
The aforementioned plan is 1BD ($2.65)/week
>>
>>1057009
Do you know of prices in other countries?
>>
>>1057019
In the USA a good plan is 30-50 USD.
>>
>>1056914
Outside of the west, prepaid sims are usually pretty cheap. Not always for locals but you're not a local.

I just walk into a store as soon as I'm in a country and buy a prepaid sim. Problem solved.
>>
>>1057052
Hell, many countries will have cell phone companies/retailers right in the airport. Granted, I never go to these because of a general distrust of buying anything in aN airport. Souvenirs and alcohol, aside.
>>
>>1057052
This. SIM cards and mobile internet is one thing that is generally a lot better, easier and cheaper in developing countries.

Customers in western countries get royally screwed over price-wise for mobile costs.
>>
>>1057248
Screwed over price with the one exception being handset costs, unless you buy outright, then the USA is the same or slightly more expensive. Barring models not even released here like the S5 mini
>>
>>1057302
But depending on what country you are going to, you may be able to buy a cheap throwaway phone.
This with a cheap local prepaid sim card is what I use
>>
>>1057497
I just unlock my smart phone so no need for a burner. If I can't fanangle the code from my carrier I drop $25-$30 on an unlock service. Only had to do the latter once for my Note 4
Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.