[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
To buy a boat in asia
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /trv/ - Travel

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1
File: boat.jpg (17 KB, 400x300) Image search: [Google]
boat.jpg
17 KB, 400x300
I want to buy a boat in Siem Reap (for example) and travel down the river to Ho Chi Minh (for example) and I'm wondering about a few questions:

- Pirates, kidnapping and all those kind of hostile encounters with people, how aware should you be about that if I stick to the main route/river all the time?

- Water, Food and fuel, will I find that in the harbours and in the villages all the way down or will it be really hard?

- How big of a boat should you buy? (I want to be able to paddle if I run out of fuel)
>>
>>1056760

From the sounds of it, you don't know shit about boats. That makes this a bad idea.

You can definitely get what you want in villages though, that won't be a problem. Literal highway robbery was a problem in some parts of Laos once but it should be fine these days. I've never heard of it happening on the Mekong but I guess it could while you're moored. More likely a local kid seeing what loose stuff they can carry off. Get something with lockers for valuables and fuel.

>How big of a boat should you buy?
If you don't know what kind of boat you can handle, then you're not ready. Don't attempt it until you know that answer yourself. It does need to be something with a cover that you can sleep under and not get fried by the sun under though. And it will probably rain because you can't do that trip in the dry season.

Still, it's like a 24hour trip so you're not on this boat very long.
>>
>>1056772
You're right, I don't know much about boats but how hard can it be? What is it that you specifically need to know about boats apart from to be able to fix minor repairs and to pilot it?

24 hours, didn't see that coming. As you problaby understand, this is just the very first topic and idea I'm having but I want to make it real.

Please tell me your general feeling and knowledge about this!

My dream is to be able to stay on some river system in the rainforest up to 2-3 months. Maybe The Amazonas if they have places where you can buy provision.
>>
>>1056782
I'm very used of being outdoors so don't take me for a fool, just saying.
>>
>>1056772
What about travelling down the whole Mekong river?
>>
>>1056782
Kind of weird but I've had a similar idea. I'm either going to try to make a sailing trip from Thailand to Indonesia or go down the Mekong River for a night or two.

This sounds weird but I've found the best tips for making this type of stuff happen can come from the bar girls in pattaya. They come from all over SE asia and some of them have relatives that are involved in all sorts of industries. I have been lucky enough to meet up with one a few times this month who will probably be able to set me up with a good boat and might even join me on the trip. Her cousin is a fisherman so he knows all kinds of people involved in the industry. Anyway, let me know what you find while you are out there and Iw ill do the same.
>>
>>1056760
>- Pirates, kidnapping and all those kind of hostile encounters with people, how aware should you be about that if I stick to the main route/river all the time?

Not an issue on the river.

>- Water, Food and fuel, will I find that in the harbours and in the villages all the way down or will it be really hard?

No problem, there are no stretches of that route where you'd go more than a few hours without passing SOMETHING.

>- How big of a boat should you buy? (I want to be able to paddle if I run out of fuel)

Well, that night increase the time between passing places to get provisions, and cut back on what you can carry.

Unless you are looking at a typical "ski boat" sized ting --18 feet or less, say -- which you could paddle short distances in an emergency, but not as a way of getting around..

>Sailboat would be superior -- get something with a shallow draft and a centerboard rather than a fixed keel, the Mekong is very prone to shoaling outside the dredged.channel.
>>
>>1056772
>Still, it's like a 24hour trip so you're not on this boat very long.

Longer than that, unless you just gun it down the river without stopping.
>>
>>1056760
You ever hear of the website crazyguyonabike? There was a guy several years ago that bought a local made boat in Luang Prabang. He and a partner then sailed to Vientiane. There is a journal at the above mentioned website of this trip. As I recall, they had all sorts of boat problems, and motor problems. The boat ended up being taken by the Lao police. One issue you will have is authorities not wanting you on the river. Next issue, is the contamination from shit going directly into the river. Next would be crossing boundaries, which goes back to the first.
>>
I have no idea what I'm doing, can you guys plan my super obscure trip for me?
>>
"Mr kurtz... he dead! "
Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.