[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Anyone has done sailing? I want to sail across the Atlantic from
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /trv/ - Travel

Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 1
Anyone has done sailing?
I want to sail across the Atlantic from Britain to the Caribbean. Preferably alone.
How much sailing experience would one need to do this?
>>
>>1056068
>tfw you're not on her boat
I remember the shitstorm she caused a few years back

Do you have any sailing experience OP? If not better get started.
>>
>>1056072
>>1056072
>I remember the shitstorm she caused a few years back
she married now
>>
>>1056072
>Do you have any sailing experience OP? If not better get started.
none
>>
Your going to need to need to learn to sail a bot -- you can start with something small, just to get a feel for the wind/water/boat interaction.

Once you've done that, you need to spend some time on a bigger boat (25-35 feet), helping somebody that knows what they are doing to sail their boat around. At some point, dpoing this in blue water, out of sight of land, is going to be a key (You are in luck, though, with GPS navigating is MUCH easier than back when I learned. MUH LORAN...)

Meanwhile, you need to READ, to learn about what you will need to know and to carry to make a crossing. Learn to read a chart, what the rules are for clearing customs on a boat (MUH Q FLAG.) While you are at it, learn to repair the 101 things that go wrong on a boat (there are NO PLUMBERS AT SEA.) You'll want to learn how to avoid storms, and what to do when it turns out you couldn't avoid it. And whether a tanker holding a constant bearing means it is going to hit you or miss you.*

Also, do you have the money to buy a good enough boat and outfit it properly?

*Another ship or object holding a constant bearing that is NOT seen to be pulling away from you is on a collision course. If the bearing is changing, even if it is closing, at current directions and speed you are not going to collide)
>>
>>1056068

Sailor here.

Depends on a bunch of things, chances are you will need quite a bit because crossing oceans is one of the tougher things you can do, lots of things can go wrong and if your not prepared or don't know what to do, your going to be in serious trouble.

We get questions like this all the time, in essence, is it possible to sail large distances with little experience? Yes, but is it possible to do this safely? No.

Most sailors, even with years and years of experience will never do any cross ocean sailing, but people here think they can pick up a complicated skill like sailing, learning off the internet by themselves, and then go sailing around the world within 6 months on a cheap little boat they bought off ebay.

What i would do is get some sailing lessons, that should take you 6 months, then crew on a race yacht, just go to your local yacht club people are always looking for crews, once you have a bunch of experience in different positions from that, go to findacrew and crew on a few boats that do long distances with other people, then after that i'd think about getting a proper boat (not a shitty small boat) and trying to do shorter distances and work my way up to big distances. In the end, it would take years, but it would give you all the skills and experience needed to do such a tough challenge.
>>
>>1056216
>learning off the internet by themselves, and then go sailing around the world within 6 months on a cheap little boat they bought off ebay
people actually do this
>>
>>1056276
But how many of them just disappear?
>>
>>1056299
>But how many of them just disappear?
Not enough, they can usually afford a radio and beacons and they get rescued by coast guard after the first big storm.
>>
>>1056068
I was just about to post this.
May I ask why you want to do it alone? You could join some crew as a deckhand if you have cash on hand.

I've thought of sailing from Britain to the Faroe Islands, Iceland, and then Greenland since I've always wanted to go there, but I would of course need a crew.
>>
>>1056306
>May I ask why you want to do it alone?
seems like a challenge
i'd like to test myself like that.

there aren't many accessible great adventures left, solo ocean crossings definitely seems like one of the few.
I'm open to the idea of sailing as crew on other ships. How does one go about that?
I'm not really down for dinghy racing at the local yacht club, not my cup of tea.
>>
I think "a lot" would be the proper answer here. Assuming that you want to survive and make it to the Caribbean.
>>
>>1056533
you'd be surprised.
plenty of people make it across with relatively little deep sea experience.
offshore sailing isn't actually all that difficult, and it's pretty fucking difficult to sink or demast a sailboat.
The most challenging type of sailing is coastal/tidal sailing.
>>
>>1056182
>>1056216

Sound advice, thanks. Different anon, but I have been thinking of volunteering as a crew member for an around the world voyage, or at least long distance.

So hopefully, if I learn the practical skills mentioned here >>1056182 it should make the progressive steps of >>1056216 easier, so that I have a higher chance to be accepted to bigger ships, etc. Unfortunately, I'm far off inland, so hopefully when I move to Cape Town, I can start the experience at sea there.

Another question, what are the most physically challenging things aboard a sailing ship (physically, or mentally such as the case of night shifts) and how can I train for them. Furthermore, a lot of people stress the contribution of entertainment value towards the crew. Is this true? and if so, what entertainment skills are most recommended for out on the ocean on a boat?
>>
>>1056535
Why is coastal/tidal sailing challenging?
>>
>>1056709

Not him, but --

Lots more traffic.
Tides matter.
Muh rocks and reefs.
Laws and rules apply, you have to know them.
>>
>>1056709
I'm not that anon, but, for one thing, you have to avoid running aground/ashore. Offshore you are less constrained.
>>
>>1056532
"Boats", right? Not "ships". There is a great chasm of difference between sailing pleasure craft and commercial shipping, you know.
>>
I live in Florida and someone just gave me a 25 foot boat it was sailed here from England. I know another guy giving away a boat but I'm out of room. Maybe you should fly here buy the boat cheap than sail it around. Cuba is 90 miles from key west florida
>>
>>1056755
>Cuba is 90 miles from key west florida
You are allowed to sail there but what happens when we wants to come home? jail?
>>
>>1056707

Physically is mainly pulling the ropes, operating winches (assuming they aren't electric) and doing all the various sail setting stuff like getting the sails ready, putting them up and changing them when you tack.

Mental is just being on a boat all the time, its not like living on land, it takes time to get used to the constant waves and water sounds, one thing that still annoys me is that boats smell different to houses and its kinds oily and salty smell which kinda gets on my nerves after awhile, though you get used to it after a while. Also, food is normally pretty shit and you cant take showers every day, on long journeys sometimes the water is so limited that there may need to be serious water rationing. Also in long distance boats communications with the outside world can be hard if your not near shore, as sat phones cost a bit and radios cant be used for just general communication.

To train physically, normally you don't need to, but just general strength work would be of use, you dont need much cardio though. Mentally you cant prepare that much, just know what your getting into and be aware.

I dont get the entertainment thing, its normally as long as you are a person the other crew can get a long with thats what they look for, certain entertainment skills aren't really needed, though im sure they might be appreciated. Some skills are highly sought, like good cooks on boats with a few crew.
>>
>>1056758
Its not a crime to go to Cuba it's a crime to spend money in Cuba which has recently changed. They charge over 100 for a visa for USA so I wouldn't make port
>>
>>1056216
>sailing lessons

How expensive should 6 months of sailing lessons be? Some googling told me I'd be looking at almost $900 for one intro class. That doesn't seem right.
>>
If you're in the UK, look into the RYA courses.
These are universally recognised, and not prohibitively expensive.
Completing the day skipper course and diesel engine course would be a great foundation.
These courses also count towards completing formal certification, like RYA yacthmaster, which is essential if you ever wish to pursue sailing as a career.
Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.