[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What's the appeal of travelling for you? What do you get
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /trv/ - Travel

Thread replies: 39
Thread images: 3
File: zawada_earth-movers.jpg (295 KB, 1644x861) Image search: [Google]
zawada_earth-movers.jpg
295 KB, 1644x861
What's the appeal of travelling for you? What do you get out of it personally?
>>
>>1054466

I've always wanted to travel and see new places. It's fun, eye-opening, and lets you discover new music, foods, and friends that you wouldn't have otherwise.

In regards to what it's done for me, well... traveling has helped me build my confidence immensely. Before I took my first trip, I was a socially awkward virgin who couldn't string together more than a few sentences or talk to a woman unless I was blackout drunk. I was always afraid of getting judged, couldn't converse with strangers, had no hobbies, and was an all-around autist who did little more than sit home and play video games all day.

Now I've slept with about twenty women, have had a few long-term relationships, and feel comfortable in my own shoes - which is probably one of the best outcomes I could have gotten from traveling. I know myself better, know what I enjoy better, and think I've become an all-around better person.

I hope I don't sound to cliche, but whatever. Traveling really did help me build myself up and gave me a lot of cool stories and friends and things to look forward to.
>>
It's a hobby, not much more I don't try to interpret too much into it or think it' something greater than that. I also like photography so taking pictures in other places is also a part of it
>>
I was a late bloomer.. didn't really enjoy travelling until i hit 30.

I enjoy seeing new places, taking photos etc.
>>
>>1054466
I'm curious about things in a general way, so I like seeing and experiencing new things.

I'm also a history buff, and since little history transpired in Mom's basement, if I want to see things and places of historic significance, I have to get about.

Though I wasn't planning on this when started traveling, I've also made some wonderful friends while poking around the world'
>>
>>1054466
i do it for the stories
>>
>>1054646
A guy I travel with always says 'It's all about the stories."

This is an ever-present solace in times of travel difficulties -- the best stories often come out of the moments that suck as you live them.
>>
I make a living online. SEA gives me a better lifestyle for my meager income.

Also, traveling makes me think less about the past and the future.
>>
>>1054656
What do you do online? I'm interested in being a digital nomad
>>
distracts me from the fact that i am really depressed and alone
>>
The child-like sense of wonder. And they pay to to drive ships.
>>
Physical movement and visuals are very stimulating for me. Makes me feel good.
>>
The world is beautiful and I want to see it before my miserable existence finally ends. Otherwise it's just a hobby, I have other hobbies but travel is the one I love the most.

>>1054749
Also this.
>>
>>1054763
>Physical movement and visuals are very stimulating for me. Makes me feel good.
could you expand on this a bit?
>>
>>1054466

Enjoyment. Gets me out if my area (Washington DC) which I hate to no end. I love seeing new places and always have.
>>
>>1054948
Sitting around in one place for too long makes me feel bored and depressed. Traveling, movement, and general physical activity tend to release endorphins for me and make me feel better, especially seeing new things I haven't seen before. I also have a pretty inactive right brain, so listening to music and seeing new things stimulates it.
>>
File: god.jpg (196 KB, 858x952) Image search: [Google]
god.jpg
196 KB, 858x952
>>1054648
when we die, we will all share our stories around the campfire of souls, each of us having carved out a unique path through reality.
>>
As childish as it sounds, escaping responsibility. Waking up realizing you can do anything you want without schedule, is a feeling I can die for. Thinking little about it, train hopping doesn't sound too bad.
>>
My family always went to the same place in Greece, every year. Traveled to another country, to the same mountain town where dad was from, and then to the same run-down house in some boring resort town.

Traveling abroad became synonymous with boring days on the beach, surrounded by people who couldn't understand me, and nothing to do. But it did give me a nice view of how life in general was, outside of the resorts.

Now I travel to see places. I hate laying about on a beach somewhere relaxing. I want to see how people live. Preferably communicate with them. Slice of life stuff, and culture.
>>
>>1054749
this, honestly. i can forget about pretty much everything when im travelling and just focus on enjoying myself (evaporating responsibilities, etc)
>>
>>1055983
>iktfb

people thought it was amazing that I spoke two languages and went to dominican republic and was able to switch cultures when appropriate.

went to the same houses/hotels, saw the same people and forgot all the same names. I actually learned more about my country's history from wiki articles than actually being there.

I think my first goal traveling is to do it without supervision (never traveled over 18 b/c STEM and building a strong foundation for a career meme). maybe visit forgotten friend's I met when they visited my home/school in nyc.
>>
>>1054468

Damn, I need to start traveling. Lately I've been feeling like kitting up my bicycle with some basic touring gear and just go. Probably a bad idea right now as winter approaches.
>>
>>1054466
It's cool
>>
I feel like I have a mental map of the world, that will never be truly complete, but that I need to add to.

I grew up in, and still live in, the American South, and have seen a fair bit of it. I feel like my mental map of this region is pretty well filled now, although there's still places I'd like to see in the South. I've never been to Savannah, GA for example, or West Virginia.

However, every time I get a chance to branch out and explore new places I feel a sense of satisfaction as my mental map of the world gets filled in this way. Like, even though you can live your whole life in a place and still not know things about it, I feel fulfilled knowing I at least have a mental picture, or a beginning of understanding for every place I've been.
>>
This may sound cheesy but I want things to remember in my life. Being at home, going to school, working, partying... it's all forgettable most of time. Hardly being able to remember anything from a certain month is depressing. However, the opposite applies to when you are out travelling and seeing new things as you will remember almost everything.

When I get old and my body has deteoriated too much to able to be adventurous, I at least want to be able to look back and feel like I've seen and experienced most of the things that the world has to offer. I have a bucket list to see all of the countries in the world. I haven't made that much progress but at least it pushes me to see new places.
>>
>>1054466
i like the feeling of freedom and no worries that come along with it. I hitchhike a lot if youre wondering my mode of travel
>>
>>1054468
Hah, sounds familiar.

Lived abroad for around 3 years as well, 1,5 in Japan and 1,5 in Korea. Struggling to get through the language barrier is a great way to learn about new cultures and places.

All the international experience also helped me get the high level job I have now, even though I graduated only quite recently. They immediately sent me to the UK for 6 months. That was very bittersweet, as I was looking forward to living in my home country for a bit.

All in all travelling and especially living abroad does wonders for your confidence and understanding of culture and people.
>>
>>1054956
Have you ever thought about moving somewhere else permanently?
>>
I feel like I always stumble across another world when I travel, perhaps because my feet take me to the weirdest places... And the stories are pure gold.

>Got mistaken for a goddess by a crazy woman when visiting a temple in Thailand.
>Got invited to yacht party in Thailand for New Years Eve.
>Did a runway show in Hong Kong for some alternative brand
>Nearly got killed in Hong Kong
>Mingled with the "lady socialite crowd" in China, these bitches were basically filthy rich daughters of even filthy richer daddies – but extremely funny and showed me how to get around the Chinese censuring online.
>Had a lovely conversation about life with a lunatic in a café in Berlin while sipping the most amazing tea. I loved this convo, I will cherish it as I pass away.
>>
>>1056320

If you're a woman you've had good travel experiences handed to you and never had to work for anything in your life.
>>
>>1056423
t. Fedora

back to /r9k/ with you
>>
>>1056423
Life is unfair because you have a penis...
>>
I do it to escape responsibilities, to meet new people (mostly girls), to party and just have fun in general. Bring on the hate, and yes I am British.
>>
I do it just to break up the monotony of home life. I like to be able to go somewhere were no one knows me and I don't have any worries. Also just to go somewhere different and enjoy the little things in life. In a foreign country I have no problem just walking around a city for hours, or eating alone in a restaurant, or sitting in a park reading a book, I never do any of that shit at home. You meet new people, make a connection and never hear from them again, its a big step out of my comfort zone but I need that every once in a while.

When I come home from a trip and I feel like I haven't grown as a person, that's when I'll stop traveling.
>>
>>1056489
>In a foreign country I have no problem just walking around a city for hours, or eating alone in a restaurant, or sitting in a park reading a book, I never do any of that shit at home. You meet new people, make a connection and never hear from them again, its a big step out of my comfort zone but I need that every once in a while.
This sums it up perfectly
>>
>>1054466

I travel because I like to be alone and know that no one knows me.

I want to start a new life, completely disconnected from my old one. However, I know that I can't just cut all the ties in my life. It leaves too many people unhappy. So I have spent the last two years purposely putting wedges between myself and everyone I know. Starting in seven days I will leave my old life for good.

If you read this thanks, it feels good to tell some nameless stranger about your life sometimes. Maybe we'll meet somewhere in this world! Adios!
>>
File: 1409544734669.jpg (5 KB, 303x276) Image search: [Google]
1409544734669.jpg
5 KB, 303x276
>>1057741
>>
>>1054656
What does SEA stands for?
>>
>>1057809

SouthEast Asia
Thread replies: 39
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.