[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Would being an aviation enthusiast improve my chances of getting
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /trv/ - Travel

Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 2
Would being an aviation enthusiast improve my chances of getting bumped to business class or other perks?

Was thinking of wearing the airlines tshirt next time I fly.
>>
>>1054126
It couldnt hurt, but annoying the gate agent will. If your not a member of a loyalty program your chances are slim anyways.
>>
>>1054135
im also super polite with airline staff
>>
>>1054126
No. The only thing that matters is your frequent flyer status with the airline/alliance.
>>
>>1054138
It doesn't matter, because in normal transactions for goods and services people are polite.

To get an upgrade, you need to know someone, or you need to be a loyalty member, and the higher the level, the better the odds.
>>
>>1054167
>airline passengers
>good
oh you!

well i already have a loyalty card, so what about the tshirt?
>>
>>1054195
Really, it'll make you look like a buddy pass kind of non-revenue passenger, if anything. Someone _might_ ask you which employee you know, and if you don't know someone in their direct chain of command, bleh, you're nothing.

Really helps to be someone who has the loyalty perks ready to go.

So, if I was you, I'd ask at the gate about an upgrade cost and possibility today, like just curious because "oh, I'm tall" or "oh my back is a little twitchy today", and then listen to their price and how many already asked or would be available....then think, and then, say well, "I'll think about it for a moment" and sit down. If they do get some kind of situation where they need to bump one more person to put some pissant in the coach section they can't stand for being a rude jerk, maybe you'll get a nice surprise or you'll get offered their best rock bottom upgrade fee and to you first, who knows? Sympathy for the back pain. That's about all you can do if you really aren't willing to shell out the money or use points. Be willing to pay some reasonable amount if asked. Say give yourself a "150euro" budget or whatever it typical for this flight.
>>
>>1054392
>>
>>1054167
>a loyalty member

Not just a member, but a member of high status. There is a clear, predetermined pecking order for upgrades. The frequent flyers with the highest status are always the ones to get bumped to business class.

Source: have StarAlliance Gold. I have been bumped to business class several times.
>>
>>1054394
do you get lounge access when bumped or is this at the gate?
>>
>>1054799
not him (hey fin bro, did yo have a good time? It's time for a beer I guess) but anyway:

usually you get the upgrades where lounge access is useless or you're already in the lounge.

Got bumped into business on european flights usually when checking in late, so all I had time for was walking to the gate.
Got bumped from Business into First 2x flying from LA to FRA on ANZ, I had lounge access anyway was chilling in the lounge when they asked me if it would be ok for me to fly first instead of business.
Got bumped from economy to business for the full leg by LAN on a connecting flight Puerto Montt - Santiago - Madrid with a connecting time of 45min in Santiago.
Got bumped from Premium Economy to Business by Air France at the gate 15min before boarding.

I guess you will get lounge access but usually you won't be able to use it.
>>
>>1054806
dang... that is part of the fun.
>reap trip reports at flyertalk
>all dem pictures of lounge food and booze
>>
OP here
is any of this true?: http://www.investopedia.com/articles/personal-finance/052815/how-fly-first-class-cheap.asp

more interested in the point made in picture cause i think that is bullshit
>>
>>1054809
If you fly kinda often you can buy lounge access for about $400/year at almost any airport. The problem is: any lounge beside the top tier FF program or first class lounges are a Burger King with better seats, shit tier food and cheap free booze.
You miss nothing.
>>
>>1054811
ive actually been to a non airline lounge before (friend i was traveling with had access) and they indeed suck... i am definitely more interested in the lounges that belong to airlines or alliances.
>>
>>1054810
Some of those might work, but the one from your pic won't unless you can totally social engineer a attendant or they say "sure you can move, that be 800€, how you like to pay? Cash or CC?

>>1054813
I know bro, but for the nice lounges you either need the FF status or fly business (ANZ, AF, Qatar, Turkish from one of their hubs) or first on all other airlines. (Star alliance has ok tier business lounges but they're nothing special. Good snacks but the booze is uhm upper lower class tier but that's already above most other lounges)
>>
>>1054815
Star Alliance is my best bet cause I live in Canada (AC Aeroplan).

Also heard you can buy upgrades at check in at really good rates (if there is room).
>>
>>1054799
I think it's decided when you get the bump. If you get bumped at check-in already, you'll get lounge access. If only at the gate, then no. Doesn't matter when I fly StarAlliance though since I always get lounge access regardless (gold status).

>>1054806
Hey there. Was a fun time in SEA. When's your RTW trip?
>>
>>1054850
that was a badly worded question.

i wanted to know if people get lounge access when they are bumped at check in or are they not given passes (since they are not real primo passengers).
>>
>>1054850
Cool.
I'm going in March for 4 months total and hope to get finally some things of my list.
>>
>>1054877
It depends. All my experience is with Cathay Pacific, but I've been bumped maybe 10 times now. At the gate, you just get a better seat. At check in a lounge pass. I was bumped on United once in Germany at the gate, and got lounge access.
Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.