[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Poland thread. Any protips, things to do? I'm doing a solo
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /trv/ - Travel

Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 3
Poland thread. Any protips, things to do?

I'm doing a solo trip Gdansk -> Warsaw -> Krakow (8 nights total). I fly to Gdansk on Saturday and haven't planned anything or booked accommodation yet.

Where should I hit up in Gdansk on Saturday night for some nightlife?

What's your experience with hostels vs hotels in Poland? I'm guessing you can get cheap hotel rooms so I may do that. What's the best app/website for booking cheap hotels these days?

I'm thinking 2 nights in Gdansk, 3 in Warsaw, 3 in Krakow. Does that sound reasonable?

I'll need to travel Gdansk->Warsaw and Warsaw->Krakow. I'm assuming the train is the best bet? Is it necessary to book in advance?

Also general "must see" and "must do" stuff. So far I have not much on the list except Auschwitz. Also I enjoy drinking and nightlife so any recommendations are welcome there. Or personal stories.

Also what are the expats/tourists like over there? Drunk British people on stag dos? Borderline sex tourists? What's the expat crowd like and where do they hang out?

How will I be treated over there by the Poles? I'm just a mid 20s white British guy.
>>
Warsawfag here

Personally I think Krakow is the most interesting out of those cities for a tourist.

From what my friends have told me the nightlife in Gdańsk isn't too great.

You don't have to book trains in advance you can just buy a ticket at the station. It might be slightly cheaper if you checkout Polskibus.com. There are some new express trains, but they might end up being a bit expensive.

There's a lot of (more than in Warsaw) tourists in Krakow and so the nightlife in the city center/old town is nice. For places just check out Tripadvisor and see what appeals to you. The nightlife in Warsaw is good as well, I just think it's not as good as Krakow when it comes to visiting as a tourist.

Not sure about the rest, but you should be fine.

Feel free to ask anything else
>>
Auschwitz is a must-do day trip from Krakow. It's also free if you don't go with a tour guide. It's very moving and impressive. Be sure to either book through an agency (we booked through our hotel) or book in advance on their website. You simply can't get in if you just show up on the day itself.
>>
http://rozklad-pkp.pl/en here you can check the trains
you can buy a ticket online too, but if you won't manage or something you can buy one in the train (it will be just like 3$ more expensive when you;ll do it this way), you just need to inform the train conductor before or right after you get on the train
tickets are up to 40$ (half the prices if you're a student and have a valid document stating that)
>>
Thanks guys, good info, I will use http://rozklad-pkp.pl/en and take the high speed trains.

Also I think I will now do 2 nights Gdansk, 2 Warsaw, 4 Krakow.

>>1054104
>You simply can't get in if you just show up on the day itself.
Thanks for the heads up. I didn't know it was reservation only. It seems on the official website you can book "Individual visit without an educator" which is free.
>>
>>1054189
You can. But only when you go in at a certain time. And it still has to be booked in advance. You'll get an E-ticket.
>>
>>1054099
I will write something about Gdansk in couple hours.
>>
>>1054099
3 days in Warsaw is an overkill. It really isn't an interesting place.
When you're in Gdańsk, do a day trip to Malbork. It's very close and it's the largest brick castle in the world.
If you choose Polskibus, try to book your tickets well in advance. It's a bit like a budget airline (Ryanair, Wizzair etc) in bus form. The late buyers end up paying for the hilariously cheap tickets of the early ones.
>>
>>1054104
thanks david
>>
>>1054315
Who's David?
>>
>>1054099
About nightlife in Gdansk.
As >>1054103 said it's not best party place ever, but you should go to Parlament Club (it's most known place in Old City) or try go to Kwadratowa (students club couple km further). There is couple pubs worth mentioning. You might like "Pub u Szkota" (looks like british pub and have many whiskey and guinness), Vinifera, Cafe Szafa, LOFT. There's plenty of pubs.
If you really have to party party you should ride to Sopot.

About hostels.
Try this http://www.hostelbookers.com/results/loc/dd/dst/2477/arr/2015-12-05/ngt/2/ppl/1/ . Tbh i don't know how it is with hostels in Poland. Just look on rankings and use your brain :]
About traveling.
There should be plane tickets Gdansk-Warsaw for 19 PLN. But you have to check it.

About "must see", "must do" stuff.
It all depends what you like.

About treating by the Poles.
Say you think 303 squadron was better than any other sq, say you more like polish beer than british, don't be an asshole and you will be treated as part of the family :D

For more answers ask more questions ;)
>>
>>1054433
>Say you think 303 squadron was better than any other sq, say you more like polish beer than british, don't be an asshole and you will be treated as part of the family :D

Hehehe. When I was in Poland (Krakow) earlier this year I did none of those things. But I still think the Poles in general were very friendly and helpful. You can see some of them struggle with English sometimes, but even then they still try to help you the best they can and have a laugh doing so. Some have the typical old communist "who gives a fuck what I say or do I still get paid the same anyway" vibe you see sometimes in eastern European countries. But that's definitely the exception rather than the rule.

Also, Polish beer is genuinely good. no need to lie.

The only thing I really didn't like in Poland is that people drive like absolute maniacs. Holy fucking hell! We drove from Dresden (Germany) past Breslau (Wroclaw) and Katowice to Krakow and it was complete madness. Out drive from Krakow to Poprad (Slovakia) through the mountains was ok. But on the large highways the Poles are absolutely mad.
>>
>>1054437
Most young people know, at least, english on communicative lvl, problem is with the older.

About communist part, there are ppl who remember just the "old times" but they're minority.

Yeah, polish beer isn't bad but it could be better.

>The only thing I really didn't like in Poland is that people drive like absolute maniacs.
Then you better look out in Warsaw if you ever will visit. Even in Poland, Warsaw drivers are know as worst driver in whole country (so try public transport).
Maybe it's not we're mad, maybe you're calm ;)
>>
>>1054457
>Most young people know, at least, english on communicative lvl, problem is with the older.
Definitely. That's what I meant. I've met very few young people who's English wasn't enough to get by. Come to think of it, just one.

>Maybe it's not we're mad, maybe you're calm ;)
Maybe you're suicidal. I mean, fuck me, I remember passing someone on the middle lane and just while I was going back to the right lane I got passed left and right by two cars both going 180 or something. Then the most right one went two lanes to the left again almost hitting a truck and cutting off the other car going 180. Mad. Mad I tell you!
>>
>>1054099
Been to Gdansk lots of times, studied for 6 months in Krakow. Would probably swap 1 night of warsaw for 1 extra in Krakow, there is just so much to do there.

With respect to Krakow, the salt mine in Wielicza is very interesting and definitely worth it. Auschwitz should also be on your list. Try to get to the orientation points such as kopiec krakusa for a stunning view. The Wawel castle in Krakow is also worth a visit.

I don't know that much about Warsaw, but the museum of the Warsaw uprising is definitely a must see, incredibly interesting.

Furthermore, Krakow nightlife is absolutely insane. For pre drinking in pubs with locals try pijalnia wodki i piwa, Bania Luka, or U jozina, all quite close to the main square. Try all the vodka's you can get your hands on, they are really good, also the flavored ones are quite tasty.

For clubbing Diva and Cien are pretty good, pretty busy, good music, and they look really good.

For food, try pierogi, zurek, and go to traditional bar mleczny's. This is kind of like a cafeteria where everything is quite cheap. For better dining there are also loads of options. If you like burgers, Krakow has tons of burgerplaces of which some of them are amazing.

Just get hostels, if you're a solo traveler its easier to make contacts this way.
>>
>>1054589
oh and try to fly from Gdansk to warsaw, Ryanair flies for 5-10 bucks to there, and its a hell of a lot better than train and cheaper.

Also second the guy that said for Gdansk to visit the castle in Malbork, its amazing.
>>
>>1054104
Not true. I took a regular bus, booked a tour at the counter and after a bus back. Easy peasy
>>
>>1054591
I stand slightly corrected. You can, but only if you're lucky and there are available spots. They only let in a certain amount of people per day. When I was there last summer though, that practically meant you couldn't get in without a reservation because there were SO many people at that time of year.

I guess you could take the gamble, but you run the risk of having to wait for hours or not get in at all.

From the FAQ on their website:

Why have entry passes been introduced?

For reasons of safety and ease of access, a maximum number of people who can enter the site of the former Auschwitz I camp per hour has been set. That is why, during the reservation process, every visitor now receives an individual entry pass. This is the only document which authorises entry into the Museum. The pass is given both to individual visitors and those who visit the Memorial with an educator.

Can I enter the Museum without holding a reserved entry pass?

Yes; a person who arrives without a booked reservation will be able to enter the Museum. The entry pass will be issued at the visitors’ centre. Entry will only be possible, however, in the first available hour. . During busy periods, this may result in a long waiting time.
>>
Thanks a lot guys, have bookmarked this thread and will check out the recommendations. Just packed and am ready to roll.

Flying out tomorrow and have just booked a nice serviced apartment in Gdansk city centre for 140 zl a night. The plan for tomorrow is get drunk on some Polish beer and check out some bars and maybe Parliament, then do sightseeing around the city the following day.

Going to do 2 nights Gdansk, 2 Krakow, 4 Krakow. On the hit list is the Warsaw uprising museum, salt mines, Auschwitz. And of course wandering around the cities and partying by night.

Should be a great trip. And yes... I've packed warm clothes...
>>
>>1054788
Mean to say 2 nights Warsaw, I'm drunk and high forgive me.
>>
>>1054788
While in Kraków, be sure to visit this bar
fb.com/Viva-la-PINTA-726934180701031/
>>
Btw OP, when you will be back home or after trip write here what you liked and what not. I'm very interested how foreigners see poles.
>>
Going to Poland for the first time in a couple weeks for about a week, managed to nab ridiculously cheap flights. 1 night in Gdansk, 4 in Warsawa because we have friends there. Got hostels booked for some nights and trying to hook up couchsurfing hosts for others. How easily available is weed in Warsawa?
>>
I'm OP I will post about my trip when I'm home. Its been crazy! Krakow now
>>
>>1056289
Like in any other place. Maybe it's not Netherland but it's available. Remember that in Poland doing drugs (even in home) and possesion any amount is illegal.
>>
Got in a fight in Warsaw on a night out and got 1000 zl stolen

Careful if you are visiting Poland... 99% are good people though.
>>
>>1056289
Possibly your friends know someone who sells it or at least know someone else who does. Weed isn't something you buy in a kiosk, but nobody will ever shout "wow where did you get that?" if they see you with a joint.
Oh, and don't smoke outside. Bumping into a police patrol would really suck since possession of drugs is a criminal offence.
>>
>>1056678
Seriously ? You could/should match it to every country... If you got in to fight you should expect everything
>>
>>1056902
I tried to delete this comment but its too old. It was just one bad experience and I was angry this day. I felt very safe in Poland.

>>1055213
The Polish people are great and always helped me when I needed it. Today I asked a woman on the street to call a taxi for me to the airport. She even waited with me 10 mins for the taxi to arrive. So I gave her the half bottle of vodka I had left in my bag ;)

The Poles are very friendly but maybe one difference to other countries is they don't talk to strangers so often. I usually go to bars and clubs and restaurants and just chat to strangers, bartenders etc.. Usually this is how I get the best information and recommendations and have the best parties ;)

One thing I found: the stereotype about drinking is true. The Poles drink a lot! Beer and straight vodka, no chaser. I didn't get any bad hangovers or want to puke drinking Polish vodka.

The nightlife is great and the Poles party hard and stay out very late. 4zl for beers in the bar last night. Amazingly cheap compared to the UK.
>>
File: 1425374585188.png (37 KB, 501x585) Image search: [Google]
1425374585188.png
37 KB, 501x585
>>1054341
Who's David he says? Who's David? Who's shilling Auschwitz to remember the 6 billion? Why have a nice vacation when you can go see rows of bunk beds and shit holes?
Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.