[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What would be more practical to learn , french or spanish? and
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /trv/ - Travel

Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 5
File: MFW.png (348 KB, 401x401) Image search: [Google]
MFW.png
348 KB, 401x401
What would be more practical to learn , french or spanish? and why? (pic unrelated)
>>
File: 1379534393520.jpg (32 KB, 250x236) Image search: [Google]
1379534393520.jpg
32 KB, 250x236
Spanish. It basically opens up two continents to relationships, business, travel, and life.
>>
File: edd.jpg (54 KB, 514x771) Image search: [Google]
edd.jpg
54 KB, 514x771
should have said but im a britfag
>>
It depends if you live in the Western Hemisphere, then Spanish. Africa and the Middle East, then French. Eastern hemisphere Spanish isn't spoken much outside of Spain, but French is behind English.
>>
>>1053519
Ypu respones while I was typing >>1053520
As a bit French would be more helpful, unless you are the type that only vacations in Spain
>>
>>1053513

>French speakers
>51 countries
>76 million

>spanish speakers
>31 counties
>400 million
>>
>>1053525
How does a country get counted there? An official language? Some percentage of the population are speakers? Or what?
>>
>>
File: Spanish-speaking-countries[1].png (480 KB, 1800x820) Image search: [Google]
Spanish-speaking-countries[1].png
480 KB, 1800x820
Spanish Speaking ..

So OP, it's like >>1053520 said. Which countries are you likely to visit?
>>
http://www.nationsonline.org/oneworld/countries_by_languages.htm
>>
>>1053539
I haven't met a single French speaker in Indochina though.
>>
>>1053539
>>1053563
English explanation of that map:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Organisation_internationale_de_la_Francophonie

>>1053563
What countries of Indochina have you traveled and do you know French? I have met people who knew French but it was not their first language, and they spoke fluent English, m first language. So if it had not come up in conversation I would have never known they spoke French.
>>
As a bilingual in Spanish and French, I wouldn't recomend one over another.

Spanish is much simpler than French.

French is talked the same way over the world. Spanish have some stupid variations that might make you look bad or even in few ocasions misunderstood.

Spanish is talked by a lot of people. But if you travel or start to know new people, you will allways find a french or someone who knows french. It's like that cereal bar you find in your last winter ski jacket' pocket. There is allways one lost around there.

And about international business... Chinese? Spanish countries aren't really in the lead of industries around the world. Beside they would learn english. French people aren't all 100% english, they often study german, spanish, portugese, etc., they are more open minded for the languages than " english for business".

Before english took place, French was the international tongue. Russian had a good relationship with France and still has ( even if they pass over some tension with the cold war, the crimea incident, etc. ). In western europe, there are a lot of suposedly francophones countries. If you go to Morocco, Algeria... they talk french. In lots of countries in Africa they know french. I don't know if Vietnam and all those asian countries still speak french tho.

So, yes, French is hard and not overly extended, but you get a pass over a lot of culture interchanges if you learn it. Interesting if you like interculturality and love to learn a beautiful language.

Spanish is more a static Language. There is little more than America and Spain. Even is spanish, real spanish (=Castellano) is very beautiful too.
>>
>>1053513
You learn the language of the country(ies) you want to go to, not the other way around since you already know English
>>
>>1053513
>What would be more practical to learn , french or spanish? and why? (pic unrelated)
Are you a student required to do a second language, and trying to make a choice for general practicality for travel? Or just general reasons?

If it's travel related, and you aren't muslim, I wouldn't learn French. The french speaking parts of the world (outside of France) are like no-fly zones for non native visitors no matter their language skills. If it's for work probability reasons, same goes. As former french colonies are obliterated by poor governments and the world is swamped with low education immigrants who do not assimilate, it's almost a shame really, the language has lost some luster just as the native french population has been outnumbered in sheer low birth rate reasons, It used to be the international language of diplomacy, but that got overwhelmingly replaced by English (blame addiction to Hollywood cinema and TV and general interest in all things American over the years). To this day, something like 30% of the content of european newspapers is like "USA Watch" news, like a damn obsession. Whereas in the US, one has to really be tuned in to watch, seek out, subscribe to national papers, or even care about most foreign news.

If you just generally wonder what might become more useful in the long run, gonna suggest if you are an American or Canadian, it's certainly going to be Spanish that is needed more and more at home. If it's purely for academic reasons, go ahead and learn Latin for funsies, or German, or Italian, or something related to literary interests...music even. Latin is incredibly useful to English speakers who have a love of language and word origin, as well as future medical professions (if that's your goal). From a traveler or even readers sense, it is kind of cool to immediately see the understanding in languages. As an additional perk to learn another germanic language to add to English knowledge,addtl come really fast.
>>
>>1053727
>Learn Latin so it will help you with other languages
>Spend the massive amount of time needed to learn a language learning a dead language instead of learning the language you want to learn
Latin classes are a scam
>>
>>1053740
>scam
Meaning they take your money and don't provide a class? Explain
>>
>>1053719
>Vietnam and all those asian countries still speak french tho.
Generally no. Only very elderly Vietnamese speak French.

There was a generational language trend.

First was French because of Colonialism, second was Russian because of Communism and third was English because of internationalism.

Elderly Viets sometimes still remember French, middle-aged Viets went to uni in Russia or did business with them. Young Viets learn English from tv and internet.
>>
>>1053745
Just read lingua latina, you'll pick it up after reading through it a dozen times.
>>
For practicality English is the only language you need to know. Anybody who is even remotely important speaks it.
Just learn whatever language on the side that personally appeals to you the most.
>>
Absolutely Spanish.

I learned French growing up in Canada, but it's NEVER been useful to me traveling except for words I'll recognize in Spanish and Portuguese because they are a bit similar to French.

Apart from French Canada and Franco-Europe, there's no place you'd want to go that speaks French. They're either EXTREME shitholes (Francophone Africa, Haiti) or you're likely to get kidnapped and beheaded by ISIS.
>>
>>1053914
Umm there are plenty of people on this board that travel to Africa and MENA, so it all depends on the OP interest. How dare you tell him where he wants to go.
>>
>>1053916
You're really seem to be taking your life into your hands going to any french-speaking developing country.

Where would you recommend visiting?
>>
>>1053513
Spanish if you plan on traveling in the Americas, French if you plan on traveling in the Pacific Islands or Africa.
>>
>>1053513
A language will be as useful as you make it. If you have no interest in traveling to Latin America then Spanish won't be very useful to you. However, if you have interest in traveling around the EU, Polynesia, Quebec, or if you're feeling up to it /spoiler/ most of Africa and Haiti. /spoiler/ However, if you just want to learn a language for personal fulfillment I wouldn't go by practicality if I were you, just do whatever floats your boat. As for job opportunities seeing as though you're a brit French would probably be more useful for you in that respect.
>>
>>1053918
Madagascar
>>
>>1053513
french because it's used by more countries
>>
>>1054176
Spanish is used by more people
>>
Italian, then you can understand both
>>
>>1053513
If you learn spanish, and u know english then its gonna be easier to learn french
Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.